35 replies to this topic

#1 bremac

bremac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Anyone live in the Albany area? I have not met another celiac here and sometime I feel so alone.
Bre
Age 29
Diagnosed (blood and biopsy) in 4/01.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 thecookingnerd607

thecookingnerd607

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

Anyone live in the Albany area? I have not met another celiac here and sometime I feel so alone.

Im in binghamton NY. Close enough.

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

I am in PA, but even though we are on close location wise, we are always local on here. Most of my close friends on this board are in other states. No matter the distance, their information has always helped.
Do you have any stores in your area to get gluten-free foods?
is there a local support group?

Welcome to our board!!!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

duplicate post, kitty stepped on my keyboard...Lucky's first post :)

Posted Image

#5 lmvrbaby

lmvrbaby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:11 AM

HI, I am from Waterloo NY. The west side of Syracuse, south east from Rochester. Like I read in the post before we are all local on here. Glad to meet you. I have run into a few people, no names exchanged only shopping in the Wegmans store that has Celiac. NIce to know someone else in the area. I have talked to the manager of the department in the gracery store and she says there are 9 or 10 families that shop for the gluten free foods in this store alone, so I know they are out there but have not met them personally. Maybe someday. Hope to chat more frequently. :D
Lisa

Mom of four boys
Nana to three granddaughters
Diagnosed with Celiac January 2006 after positive biopsy and follow up with positive blood tests
Diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome March 2006 after ruling out so many other things

Vitamin B12 deficiency October 2006
Oldest son diagnosed Celiac June 2006 also diagnosed type one diabetic November 2002

#6 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

I love that store!! Our store is not open yet so I will drive to the next closest one.

Posted Image

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hi :)

I live in New Jersey, but my husband and I are both from Syracuse. Our families are all still up there.

I shopped at Wegmans years ago there, and now, finally we have one here. Great store!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 maferfay

maferfay

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:51 AM

Hi I live in the Albany, Area, if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to contact me.

#9 eleep

eleep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

I live in Florida now, but I'm originally from Niskayuna and I've lived in both Albany and Troy -- I'm actually thinking I might move back up there within a year or so!
Erica

Inconclusive blood test results
Positive Enterolab results
Positive dietary results
gluten-free since 2/10/06

#10 NY547

NY547

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:03 AM

Hannaford has a good selection of gluten-free foods as does healthway on route 9. We are also in the Albany area, and like Erica, my daughter had inconclusice blood tests, then more recently the screen came back all negative. Her enterolab results were positive (low numbers, but positive). She has not had an endoscopy yet. I am still deciding whether or not to have it done.

The doctors have rules out everything with their blood tests including celiac, lyme, mono and a few others. She responded well to a gluten-free diet in the past, which is why I am still considering the endoscopy. Do many people have a postitve endoscopy after negative blood work? I thought the tests were pretty accurate these days.

Bremac, you are definately not alone. At a dinner last year, the man sitting beside me was celiac. What are the odds? There are 3 people in my immediate neighborhood that I know have celiac. That is not counting my daughter who is not a confirmed celiac. Yes, there are many people in this area who are coping with celiac disease! You are definately not alone!

#11 kristineb

kristineb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

I live in Guilderland and have only been a Celiac since June of '07. I found that Hannaford in Latham Fams is by far the best place for me to buy a lot of Gluten Free items, but my mother has been to Job Lots in Schenectady for the bigger bulk items like gluten free flour and things to bake with. She was a chef and now makes me tons of gluten free meals and muffins. I feel extremely grateful for that because it's really difficult to find any sort of quick on the go things to eat, so I freeze them and then stick them in the microwave to thaw. It's a huge adjustment but since she's been searching for more products and making them it's made things a bit easier.

#12 hineini

hineini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

I live in New Paltz and go up to Albany on a fairly regular basis.

I have just started a gluten-free outings / social group for the Hudson Valley - You can see more info in the Support Groups folder on this forum. The first meeting is in New Paltz (1 hr south of Albany) but future meetings will be in varying locations throughout the Hudson Valley. Maybe we'll make a field trip up to that gluten-free cafe and bakery (Sherry Lynn's) in Brunswick. Sign up for the group if you want to be updated about future events.

And if I can be of any assistance, let me know. I know of a few resources, including a gluten-free blog based in Albany.
*Gluten free since 7/06
*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

#13 EBsMom

EBsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hi! We live in Columbia County, southeast of Albany. We're in Albany at least 3 or 4 times a week for my kids extracurricular activities. I'm gluten-free, as well as both of my children (ages 10 and 12.) I do a lot of my shopping at Hannaford's, but have also been visiting the co-op in Albany (Honest Weight) every week or so. I think that there are quite a few celiacs in the area....at least, the gluten-free quinoa bread flies out of the co-op so quickly that there *have* to be other celiacs around, lol!

Rho

#14 MammaW

MammaW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Southern Vermont about an hour and a half from Albany....(Not me...at least I don't think so...my almost 1 year old)

#15 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

hI i AM NOT Celiac, but my daughter is.. Sorry not close enough.. Long Island,, NY here.. good luck..

lynn
Eat Well To Stay Well
Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: