This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anyone Around Albany Ny?

bremac

bremac Apprentice

Anyone live in the Albany area? I have not met another celiac here and sometime I feel so alone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

thecookingnerd607 Rookie
Anyone live in the Albany area? I have not met another celiac here and sometime I feel so alone.

Im in binghamton NY. Close enough.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am in PA, but even though we are on close location wise, we are always local on here. Most of my close friends on this board are in other states. No matter the distance, their information has always helped.

Do you have any stores in your area to get gluten-free foods?

is there a local support group?

Welcome to our board!!!

duplicate post, kitty stepped on my keyboard...Lucky's first post :)

lmvrbaby Newbie

HI, I am from Waterloo NY. The west side of Syracuse, south east from Rochester. Like I read in the post before we are all local on here. Glad to meet you. I have run into a few people, no names exchanged only shopping in the Wegmans store that has Celiac. NIce to know someone else in the area. I have talked to the manager of the department in the gracery store and she says there are 9 or 10 families that shop for the gluten free foods in this store alone, so I know they are out there but have not met them personally. Maybe someday. Hope to chat more frequently. :D

I love that store!! Our store is not open yet so I will drive to the next closest one.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi :)

I live in New Jersey, but my husband and I are both from Syracuse. Our families are all still up there.

I shopped at Wegmans years ago there, and now, finally we have one here. Great store!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maferfay Newbie

Hi I live in the Albany, Area, if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to contact me.

eleep Enthusiast

I live in Florida now, but I'm originally from Niskayuna and I've lived in both Albany and Troy -- I'm actually thinking I might move back up there within a year or so!

NY547 Newbie

Hannaford has a good selection of gluten-free foods as does healthway on route 9. We are also in the Albany area, and like Erica, my daughter had inconclusice blood tests, then more recently the screen came back all negative. Her enterolab results were positive (low numbers, but positive). She has not had an endoscopy yet. I am still deciding whether or not to have it done.

The doctors have rules out everything with their blood tests including celiac, lyme, mono and a few others. She responded well to a gluten-free diet in the past, which is why I am still considering the endoscopy. Do many people have a postitve endoscopy after negative blood work? I thought the tests were pretty accurate these days.

Bremac, you are definately not alone. At a dinner last year, the man sitting beside me was celiac. What are the odds? There are 3 people in my immediate neighborhood that I know have celiac. That is not counting my daughter who is not a confirmed celiac. Yes, there are many people in this area who are coping with celiac disease! You are definately not alone!

• 4 months later...
kristineb Newbie

I live in Guilderland and have only been a Celiac since June of '07. I found that Hannaford in Latham Fams is by far the best place for me to buy a lot of Gluten Free items, but my mother has been to Job Lots in Schenectady for the bigger bulk items like gluten free flour and things to bake with. She was a chef and now makes me tons of gluten free meals and muffins. I feel extremely grateful for that because it's really difficult to find any sort of quick on the go things to eat, so I freeze them and then stick them in the microwave to thaw. It's a huge adjustment but since she's been searching for more products and making them it's made things a bit easier.

hineini Enthusiast

I live in New Paltz and go up to Albany on a fairly regular basis.

I have just started a gluten-free outings / social group for the Hudson Valley - You can see more info in the Support Groups folder on this forum. The first meeting is in New Paltz (1 hr south of Albany) but future meetings will be in varying locations throughout the Hudson Valley. Maybe we'll make a field trip up to that gluten-free cafe and bakery (Sherry Lynn's) in Brunswick. Sign up for the group if you want to be updated about future events.

And if I can be of any assistance, let me know. I know of a few resources, including a gluten-free blog based in Albany.

EBsMom Apprentice

Hi! We live in Columbia County, southeast of Albany. We're in Albany at least 3 or 4 times a week for my kids extracurricular activities. I'm gluten-free, as well as both of my children (ages 10 and 12.) I do a lot of my shopping at Hannaford's, but have also been visiting the co-op in Albany (Honest Weight) every week or so. I think that there are quite a few celiacs in the area....at least, the gluten-free quinoa bread flies out of the co-op so quickly that there *have* to be other celiacs around, lol!

Rho

MammaW Newbie

Southern Vermont about an hour and a half from Albany....(Not me...at least I don't think so...my almost 1 year old)

• 4 weeks later...
mouth Enthusiast

hI i AM NOT Celiac, but my daughter is.. Sorry not close enough.. Long Island,, NY here.. good luck..

lynn

• 2 weeks later...
missmelissa21 Rookie

Albany area here. Not diagnosed celiac as of right now, but I have a GI appt. on December 17 where maybe I can figure something out.

Do all you Albany people go to Albany GI for gastroenterologists?

I'm seeing Dr. Ben, I believe.

I noticed a small gluten free section in the natural foods section of price chopper in slingerlands. Not much, but i don't know how much would be in a good size section.

mamaw Community Regular

Kristeneb

I see where you said your Mother was a chef & she makes you alot of gluten-free foods. You are so lucky.... perhaps she or yourself could share some of her gluten-free goodies recipes for the rest of us. It seems we all are always looking for something new......

thanks

mamaw

• 2 weeks later...
rysmom Rookie

Hi, I am in Saratoga, NY. My son is a celiac and has a dairy allergy. I have been questioning whether I would benefit from a gluten free diet myself as I have terrible migraines.

I would be interested in meeting anyone to discuss gluten-free issues. We recently moved here and are still looking for a doctor I can trust. If anyone has any recommendations???

mouth Enthusiast
Hi, I am in Saratoga, NY. My son is a celiac and has a dairy allergy. I have been questioning whether I would benefit from a gluten free diet myself as I have terrible migraines.

I would be interested in meeting anyone to discuss gluten-free issues. We recently moved here and are still looking for a doctor I can trust. If anyone has any recommendations???

Oh Sorry I live down on long Island and use Schneiders Childrens Hospital. I know that they have satellite offices, I just am not sure where. sorry i could not be of more help.

lynn

• 1 month later...
kristineb Newbie
Kristeneb

I see where you said your Mother was a chef & she makes you alot of gluten-free foods. You are so lucky.... perhaps she or yourself could share some of her gluten-free goodies recipes for the rest of us. It seems we all are always looking for something new......

thanks

mamaw

kristineb Newbie

My mom can pretty much change any recipe into gluten free. She makes perogies, banana nut muffins, corn muffins, stuffed shells, etc... If there are specific things you like let me know and I can have her modify the recipe the best way she can... The only thing she has to try and work on are bagels, they aren't to easy to keep them soft so she has had som problems with those but she's working on it.

kristineb Newbie
Hannaford has a good selection of gluten-free foods as does healthway on route 9. We are also in the Albany area, and like Erica, my daughter had inconclusice blood tests, then more recently the screen came back all negative. Her enterolab results were positive (low numbers, but positive). She has not had an endoscopy yet. I am still deciding whether or not to have it done.

The doctors have rules out everything with their blood tests including celiac, lyme, mono and a few others. She responded well to a gluten-free diet in the past, which is why I am still considering the endoscopy. Do many people have a postitve endoscopy after negative blood work? I thought the tests were pretty accurate these days.

Bremac, you are definately not alone. At a dinner last year, the man sitting beside me was celiac. What are the odds? There are 3 people in my immediate neighborhood that I know have celiac. That is not counting my daughter who is not a confirmed celiac. Yes, there are many people in this area who are coping with celiac disease! You are definately not alone!

I had a endoscopy done three years before my diagnosis and it was positive but my blood test came back negative. Three years after my endoscopy I started having tired symtoms and not feeling well. It took a couple of months but the celiac test came back positive.

• 2 weeks later...
edgeyveggie Newbie

Rochester/Syracuse here

Rochester/Syracuse here

Well you have Wegmans which is celiac heaven!!!!

flourgirl Apprentice

Check out support groups online for the area. I'm pretty sure there are 2 or 3. I've looked because my family is in the Lake George area, and that was the closest I could find anything. My sister has had to take my neice to Albany for some of the testing. Her doctors are really messing around. 2 Positive blood tests. and they keep saying that they doubt she has Celiac, and they've been delaying a biopsy. What does it take? Meanwhile she's deathly ill, pale and growing tinier by the day.

Anyway.....I know there are a number of people not so far from you. After my diagnosis, my family members keep "running into" Celiace everywhere, and until last Nov. had never heard of it. We're out there.....just not wearing any banners and flags!

Archived