This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Old?

JerryK

elye Community Regular

I must get on his website and take a look. He should put a pic of himself as his avatar. I think terrorists may let old guys off planes first if they are sporting mullets, as well...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nantzie Collaborator
I must get on his website and take a look. He should put a pic of himself as his avatar. I think terrorists may let old guys off planes first if they are sporting mullets, as well...

Or old guys with mullets, wearing socks and sandals.

;)

CarlaB Enthusiast
I want to know when exactly "Rocker Hair" turned into a "mullet"

When they went out of style and the rockers no longer wore them.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Jerry, I will be 54 next week, and I am definitely NOT old, so neither are you. But I think my husband is old (even though he is three years younger than me), because he wears socks with sandals and overshoes with his pants tucked in in the winter (I pretend I don't know him when he does that :ph34r: ). I am seriously embarrassed to be seen with him in those situations. Especially when he wears a baseball cap with his raincoat over a suit, and his suit pants tucked into high cut rubber overshoes. How dorky is that!

JerryK Community Regular
The color of the socks don't matter Jerry.......it's the concept. Socks DO NOT belong with sandals!!!! Oh goodness...............you SO told on yourself on this one!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

OMG, I'm sobbing with embarrassment! I will start referring to Jerry in the third person once again, to distance myself from him.

:lol:

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
OK, I've been known to wear white socks with sandals...that's not dorky enough to count right?

Yes. It is. I don't know if it means you are old, but it certainly means you are a dork. =>

Never, ever wear socks with sandals.

Geoff, Sandal aficionado who currently has 12-14 pairs in active duty.

chrissy Collaborator

jerry---i had my 3 year old at the store and was buying her a treat. the young sales clerk looked at her and said, "is grandma buying that for you?" when she was a baby, one of my retired school teachers said,"this must be your grandchild." well.....i DID have her at 40.....

how come a mullet wasn't called a mullet when we were teenagers?

i never go without socks---no matter what i am wearing. my toes get so cold that they hurt---even in the summer. i guess this means i don't have to worry about being held hostage. a definite advantage of being "old".

and-----I STILL PLAY LP RECORDS!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
OMG, I'm sobbing with embarrassment! I will start referring to Jerry in the third person once again, to distance myself from him.

I DO believe this might just be the best plan of action to regain your selfworth! ha :lol:

Socks and sandals......now THAT is a fashion statement!! :lol::lol:

-Jessica :rolleyes:

JerryK Community Regular
Yes. It is. I don't know if it means you are old, but it certainly means you are a dork. =>

Never, ever wear socks with sandals.

Geoff, Sandal aficionado who currently has 12-14 pairs in active duty.

Don't hold it back...

confused Community Regular

Omg you all are nuts, did anyone get too much sun today, I know i did lmao. But i was goofy this morning, but u all went nuts this afternoon.

omg socks and sandals, that is just not right lol

paula

loco-ladi Contributor

Well, I do not wear any socks with sandals no matter what color sock, type of sandals or even how cold it is, its just NOT done!

as for the following posts:

If you are going to wear a baseball cap, why wear it off to the side tilted funny?

My baby brother said it was to keep it "locked" onto the head (he is 14 years younger so I assume he may know, lol)

I don't run, I never did run, I risked failing gym class over the "mile run" that I walked briskly doing. My whole philosphy on running is - Sure skinny people can run, they don't have to move as much as me! If they had to lug around my ass and my boobs, they wouldn't be running either!

Well, I DID fail gym in high school because I DID refuse the activities including but not limited to that horrible 1 mile run (I didnt even walk it, lol), if some greater being wanted me to exersize he woulda left off the boobs/butt and given me a actual reason, why run for nothing, its not like the cops are after you :ph34r: ..... are they Jerry? :blink:

i never go without socks---no matter what i am wearing. my toes get so cold that they hurt---even in the summer. i guess this means i don't have to worry about being held hostage. a definite advantage of being "old".

Since for many years I have looked for alternative solutions to every dr's version of that infamous "purple pill" that cures everything.... I found out that an herb called "horsechestnut seed extract" is good for chilly hands/feet also people who are diabetic due to other reasons, basically this herb helps strenghten the small arteries and veins in your extremeties making them healthier, please check with dr or other medical personel before starting this as I am in no way an expert on this but would recommend you check into it ;) as it may also effect any other medications,vitamins or herbs you may currently be taking

Finally lets hear one of good old gramma's famous sayings shall we....

40 ain't old unless your a tree!

Please feel free to insert any age you may need, I use the big 4-0 as thats mine as of a little bit ago ;)

snapple Apprentice

Hey Jerry,

When running becomes painful, switch to swimming. You get the same gret effects, but its easy on the joints. Plus, you never get too old for it. My dad is in his 60's and is training for a 4.4 mile open water swim. It's also great for those of us who don't want to have two black eyes just from going for a run (if you know what I mean :P ) Still looking for a sports bra that does what it says.

jacqui Apprentice
OK, I've been known to wear white socks with sandals...that's not dorky enough to count right?

I don't talk about the price of gas, but I sure think about it. :)

Sorry white socks or socks in general and sandals has always been dorky.

And no you are not old, just a bit off on fashion :P

Jacqui

elye Community Regular

I've been a runner for a long time, and as I got to within shouting distance of forty, I began getting the odd stress fracture, tight hamstrings that wouldn't go away, etc. Stuff that has made me start to feel old...So once a week I now get into the pool and tread water as hard as I can for my forty-minute session. I miss the music, but it's true, this does mimic the cardiovascular effects of a good run without the stress. On the subject of public swimming, there is another neon sign of old age: sporting a bathing cap. Sorry, these are for sure right up there with S & S (socks and sandals). Don't care if you don't want your hair to get wet--that's just like the excuse about cold toes, therefore socks. Say NO to bathing caps!

spunky Contributor

A plea for socks with sandals...

I'm just about to turn 54, female...work out hard and have good abs, good quads/calves, good biceps/triceps...etc. etc. etc.

I LOVE socks with Earth Shoe sandals. They keep my feet from getting dusty outside, and keep my toes warm when I'm inside air-conditioned buildings (stores or work...I personally do not like air-conditioning and won't use it at home unless our dogs are stuck inside all day on a very hot day.).

I love buying socks with funky colors, designs, animals all over 'em, etc., to show off with my sandals.

THERE! I said it! NYah nyah nyah naaaaa-naaaa! I've got a little clump of gray on my bangs and I wear socks, no tattoos...my only body modifications were made through hours of hard work with weights or body wieght training, and my only piercings are just one hole in each ear lobe!

And...I WEAR SOCKS WITH SANDALS!!!!! Oh gosh...I must look so dorky and korny and square to others...but...I'm happy, I'm old, so ...what the heck!!!! ;)

jkmunchkin Rising Star
:lol: LOL!! Yes ,exactly - I don't care what colour or if they're Birkenstocks it's NO NO NO!!!!! -DON'T DO IT!!! :lol:;)

Can we add in one for the ladies. Please stop wearing stockings with open toe shoes!!!!! Heck I never wear stockings period unless they are a color to go with the outfit, but I just cringe when I see woman wearing nude stockings with their open toe shoes. I hate this more than VPL.... stop it!! ;)

As for the issue of old:

I would never consider someone in their 40's old... heck I'm not sure there is an age anymore that's old. My stepmom is in her early 50's and acts like she's 80; but then I know other people her age that act like they're 25. It's all in your mindset. I'm 29 and 2 of my best friends are in their 40's and 50's.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thank you Jillian--that was a public service announcement about hose with open toe shoes if I ever heard one! Like she said--don't do it :lol:

And you said "VPL" :P

As a Birkenstock junkie--I have many pairs in various styles and colors--I wear them almost exclusively in the warmer weather. Never would I wear socks with them! I have thought about it, though, cuz they're so darn comfortable :ph34r:

Jerry--you're not old. Jeepers, if you're old--I must be ancient! :D

JerryK Community Regular

Today I wore my Doc Martin's WITH socks in total defiance of "nerd" rules.

Heck if you think I'm a dork, you should see some of the folks that work here.

Jerry is social genius by comparison. Notice that's in the third person... j

Kaycee Collaborator

Lets all get old disgracefully! Give our children something to cringe about, minus the socks and sandals.

Cathy

JerryK Community Regular
Lets all get old disgracefully! Give our children something to cringe about, minus the socks and sandals.

Cathy

I think I will start wearing my pants pulled up to my navel......

elye Community Regular

This is UNBELIEVABLE:

I went for my intense swim this morning at the Y. Going into the building I saw a woman getting out of her car, and she was wearing the dreaded S & S...striped socks pulled right up almost to her knees and brown Birk knock-offs, I believe. I found this funny as heck as this thread popped right to mind. But wait....she gets out of her car and approaches the doors. She has a MULLET. No question, a grey 'do, short at the front and suddenly long behind her ears. I am now laughing, which is not good as I do not know her and this could be rude...

Get into the pool...and in she comes...

wearing a bathing cap. :blink::o

How can one individual personify everything we've discussed so far?! It's incredible. Perhaps she was placed in my life today for a reason...it's kind of scary...

sparkles Contributor

YEP.... When you start worrying about being old, YOU ARE!

jerseyangel Proficient
This is UNBELIEVABLE:

I went for my intense swim this morning at the Y. Going into the building I saw a woman getting out of her car, and she was wearing the dreaded S & S...striped socks pulled right up almost to her knees and brown Birk knock-offs, I believe. I found this funny as heck as this thread popped right to mind. But wait....she gets out of her car and approaches the doors. She has a MULLET. No question, a grey 'do, short at the front and suddenly long behind her ears. I am now laughing, which is not good as I do not know her and this could be rude...

Get into the pool...and in she comes...

wearing a bathing cap. :blink::o

How can one individual personify everything we've discussed so far?! It's incredible. Perhaps she was placed in my life today for a reason...it's kind of scary...

Literally laughing out loud here! She could be our poster girl for what not to wear :lol:

elye Community Regular
Literally laughing out loud here! She could be our poster girl for what not to wear :lol:

Yes, absolutely. I'm so curious to know what a person is like who looks this way ...is she intelligent? Funny? Celiac?...But most compelling, with all of these signs, is she OLD?

sparkles Contributor
Yes, absolutely. I'm so curious to know what a person is like who looks this way ...is she intelligent? Funny? Celiac?...But most compelling, with all of these signs, is she OLD?

Maybe she is just comfortable with herself and really doesn't care what the world might think!!

Archived