This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Celiac Or Ibs?

Aunt Poppy

Aunt Poppy Rookie

I would like some opinions from all of you, who may know more than the two GI's and two Internists I have seen. Here is the scenario and I apoligize if I ramble: I took three rounds of antibiotics during January and February. During the third round, I became very ill with diarrhea and was hospitalized for that and dehydration after 10 days of feeling horrible. I was tested for C Diff and it came back negative ( 30% of people with C Diff have negative results).

I went to Little Rock to see my Internist who said it was IBS caused from the antibiotics. I then went to a GI who performed a colonoscopy and said all was well and I had IBS. He also ran Anigladin, antiendomysial, and Anti-human Tissue transglutaminase. All tests were negative. I had not been gluten free at this point, but was not consuming a lot of gluten or anything else at this point. This GI said that the tests he ran were proof positive that there was no Celiac. The second GI had me send my stool to Entrolab. this test showed a result of 43 ( 10 - 350 means gluten sensitive) but this GI said often the stool test gives false positives, but I should remain gluten free for a while and see if I get better. The second Internist said the same.

I was wonderful prior to the antibiotics and was consuming a ton of gluten with no problem whatsoever. And while I am somewhat better, I still feel like 'heck' most days even though I have been gluten free, toher than one messup a week ago. My symptoms after I got sick were: nausea, diarrhea, myclonus (jerky movements of the limbs), ataxia (difficulty walking), extreme fatigue and weakness, and horrible anxiety and panic attacks. I am, and have been hypoglycemic for years, but it is worse since I got sick. While you do not read of myclonus and ataxia with IBS, my GI says it is not uncommon for someone whose intestines were as messed up as mine were. I just don't know what to do. I can't eat any sugar drinks, nothing with gluten, and have to be so careful with other foods that my diet consists of rice, potato, bananas, applesauce, avacado, carrots, green beans and that is about it. If any of you have any advice, PLEASE ADVISE AS THE ANXIETY IS KILLING ME. Thanks for listening.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Something definately got stirred up with the antibiotics. What is the puzzle piece that needs to be found. It could be gluten or gluten could just be part of the fix until you get to the real problem.

Why were you on so many rounds of antibiotics (if you don't mind sharing)?

How long have you been so restricted in what you eat? That's a pretty small list.

Do you have any amalgams?

Been tested for candida?

Are you an outdoorsy type person?

Probiotics are a good thing to take to try and restore your gut flora with antibiotics.

Aunt Poppy Rookie

Thanks for responding. I took the antibiotics because I had a severe sinus infection-first in my life and am prone to pneumonia. I have been on this diet since mid March, but take a mega vitamin, a probiotic, and metamucil. I assume they tested for Candida when they did the biopies of the large and small intestine, but all but IBS was ruled out. The GI who ruled out Celiac is very highly regarded, but I just feel that I should be getting better much faster. What are amalgams?

Something definately got stirred up with the antibiotics. What is the puzzle piece that needs to be found. It could be gluten or gluten could just be part of the fix until you get to the real problem.

Why were you on so many rounds of antibiotics (if you don't mind sharing)?

How long have you been so restricted in what you eat? That's a pretty small list.

Do you have any amalgams?

Been tested for candida?

Are you an outdoorsy type person?

Probiotics are a good thing to take to try and restore your gut flora with antibiotics.

AndreaB Contributor

Amalgams are silver colored fillings in your teeth.

Would you be open to seeing a LLMD? They test for more than lyme and are very thorough. A naturopath or holistic doctor may be able to run some tests as well.

dionnek Enthusiast

I wouldn't assume they tested for candida - from what I've heard, dr's don't really "believe" in that. Candida was the first thing I thought though when i read your symptoms. Antibiotics will cause it to go crazy. Google candida and diet - maybe you should give that a try? It is very restrictive, and you'll have to cut out the rice and all starches/sugars/yeast (I haven't done it personally, but a lot of people on here have). Search "candida" in this forum and you'll come across a lot of posts.

It takes a while for your intestines to heal if you do have celiac - took me 6 months on the gluten-free diet before I noticed ANY difference, and now it's been a year and I still have lingering problems, so don't give up.

Belinda Meeker Apprentice
Amalgams are silver colored fillings in your teeth.

Would you be open to seeing a LLMD? They test for more than lyme and are very thorough. A naturopath or holistic doctor may be able to run some tests as well.

Hi I'am new to all this have a quick ? wht is Candida ? we r going through testing now for "C" cuz we have a C>Sprue 17 year old. TY for ur time Bea

AndreaB Contributor
Hi I'am new to all this have a quick ? wht is Candida ? we r going through testing now for "C" cuz we have a C>Sprue 17 year old. TY for ur time Bea

Candida is an overgrowth of yeast in your body.....primarily your intestinal track. Antibiotics cause alot of problems because they kill of good bacteria in the gut. Mercury from fillings and/or seafood can cause toxicity in some people and the body will allow candida to grow to keep the mercury locked in place.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived