This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Officially Casien Intolerant

SunnyDyRain

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eLaurie Rookie
as for the link, you can always get to it through the search, but here it isOpen Original Shared Link

Thank you!

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Dear StrongerToday,

It is odd that I can tolerate some dairy and not others. I can apparently handle a small amount of lactose. I can have a dab of Cool Whip, a slice of cheese, or a milk chocolate bar. I cannot eat yogurt or pudding, though. It is so strange.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I seem to be handling the coffee mate ok, I "accidently" had some cool ranch doritos today.. I knew cool ranch were ok gluten wise.... i didnt' think about whey in them! Now those I didn't handle as well. Well it think it was them.. either that or the baked potaoe from wendys "just chives".

I hate hate hate being casien intolerant... much worse than gluten!

aikiducky Apprentice
It is odd that I can tolerate some dairy and not others. I can apparently handle a small amount of lactose. I can have a dab of Cool Whip, a slice of cheese, or a milk chocolate bar. I cannot eat yogurt or pudding, though. It is so strange.

It sounds like you're problem really is lactose. The thing that Cool Whip and a milk chocolate bar have in common is that they are relatively fatty, which slows down your digestion and gives your body more time to break down the lactose. Cheese has very very little lactose in it anyway so it's not surprising that you tolerate it. Yoghurt and pudding are things that typically you'd eat larger amounts of than for example Cool Whip ;), it might actually be that you could tolerate them in smaller amounts.

Also keep in mind that you probably have a daily limit to how much lactose your digestion can handle, so if you already had something in the morning and then have say a yoghurt later in the day, you might react, but if the only dairy you had in a day is a yoghurt it might be fine.

Pauliina

gfmolly Contributor

I also noticed on another thread that Rice Dream will be going gluten free in the near future so that's something to keep in mind. :)

gfmolly Contributor

. You have to watch some of them, because they have charcoal, which can contain gluten.

Help!! I didn't know that charcoal contained gluten. Can you still cook with it? Is there a brand I can buy? Please help, we are having people over for a cookout tonight!

Terri

PS I am learning so much. Thanks!

NoGluGirl Contributor
It sounds like you're problem really is lactose. The thing that Cool Whip and a milk chocolate bar have in common is that they are relatively fatty, which slows down your digestion and gives your body more time to break down the lactose. Cheese has very very little lactose in it anyway so it's not surprising that you tolerate it. Yoghurt and pudding are things that typically you'd eat larger amounts of than for example Cool Whip ;), it might actually be that you could tolerate them in smaller amounts.

Also keep in mind that you probably have a daily limit to how much lactose your digestion can handle, so if you already had something in the morning and then have say a yoghurt later in the day, you might react, but if the only dairy you had in a day is a yoghurt it might be fine.

Pauliina

Dear Pauliina,

That makes sense. I was curious if anyone knew why this would be! I have to watch my fat intake pretty closely, due to my gallbladder being removed. I cannot tolerate high fat anything. Cheese certainly sets alright. However, even one little pudding cup or yogurt cup makes me sick. It is so odd. The Cool Whip I actually ate more than one serving of before, but did not suffer extreme ill effects from it. I get as sick from the pudding and yogurt as I do from gluten! Like you said, it is probably a lactose limit daily for my body. I stick with cheese and the other things, I am fine. Thanks for your information!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor
It's called the kitchen defender. The system he sells is based on what you need. He would need you to read the water "ingredients" (from the water company) and would recommend the system you would need. We have a 3 stage defender. He also sells whole house systems.

Go to the following website to check it out. I've been very pleased with this and the customer service of the owner (James McMahon).

Open Original Shared Link

Dear Andrea,

Thanks for the information! I was wondering about this. When my Thyroid is slow, I need to avoid flouride. Right now, it is hyper. I wish there was a way to equal out the problems with the Thyroid, instead of having to flip back and forth every few months!

Sincerely,

Jin

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
. You have to watch some of them, because they have charcoal, which can contain gluten.

Help!! I didn't know that charcoal contained gluten. Can you still cook with it? Is there a brand I can buy? Please help, we are having people over for a cookout tonight!

Terri

PS I am learning so much. Thanks!

From what i understand most commercial charcoal brikettes contain wheat. I understand that you need "natural" charcoal. It's still common but not the baisic "Kinsford" brand or anything.

Lava Rocks that are used in Gas Grills are fine.

I'd do a search on Charcoal up in the site search to get more info, that is just what I know off the top of my head.

gfmolly Contributor

From what i understand most commercial charcoal brikettes contain wheat. I understand that you need "natural" charcoal. It's still common but not the baisic "Kinsford" brand or anything.

Thanks. I'll check it out at the natural foods store. I'm sure they have a product. There are so many hidden sources!!!!!

debmidge Rising Star

I saw product at whole foods which was wood chip (for grills) and there was no ingredient statement...would anyone know of a brand name of natural product? This would certainly help and save time. I'd rather not purchase the product and then find out it's no good.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
I saw product at whole foods which was wood chip (for grills) and there was no ingredient statement...would anyone know of a brand name of natural product? This would certainly help and save time. I'd rather not purchase the product and then find out it's no good.

In those threads there are more information, and some name brands.

In the last thread Kinsford is quoted as saying that gluten burns off... but to me that just means that the smoke from the brickettes have gluten and that gets on food, and you!

My boyfriend who is boy scout scoutmaster often makes his own charcoal when they go camping, he says it's just wood and nothing needs to be added.

NoGluGirl Contributor

In those threads there are more information, and some name brands.

In the last thread Kinsford is quoted as saying that gluten burns off... but to me that just means that the smoke from the brickettes have gluten and that gets on food, and you!

My boyfriend who is boy scout scoutmaster often makes his own charcoal when they go camping, he says it's just wood and nothing needs to be added.

Dear SunnyDyRain,

I agree with you. I would not chance using the charcoal brickettes, either. I do not care what they say, they are not the ones putting their health on the line! That is like us handing them a glass saying it might contain arsenic, and it might not, then telling them to drink it. Do you think they would drink it? It is better to be safe than sorry.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

• 2 months later...
Betty in Texas Newbie

What are yall's symptoms on casien, I really think I am going to have to give it up I am a celiac of 4 yrs but still have the awful bloating and feel like the food is just sitting at the very top of my stomach for hours if I hve any kind of casin products I have been tested it and had some cool whip and jellp and bloated so bad and I will feel so uncomforable for hrs and been having troblem with cheetoes and I lookied to see and it has milk in it , and have trouble with cottage cheese and have just about live on it for 4 yrs. What do you all think does it sound like it to you.

aikiducky Apprentice

Yes it does sound like a possibility to me... it's easy to test, leave out all milk products (read labels, just like you do for gluten!) for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If you feel better, try something with casein and see how you feel. If you feel worse, it would be a good idea to cut it out of your diet.

Pauliina

Archived