Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Bouillon Cubes?

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me why bouillon cubes are a "no no"?

I am knew to this and have recently realized that malt is also something I need to look for ( I have been feeding my daughter rice crispies). Can anyone else give me some common ingredients that are not wheat, oats or barley that I should not give her. If a food has not contained those things I have been giving it to her. Now I know to add malt to that. Anything else??

Ads by Google:

This site has a great list of gluten containing ingredients that people with Celiac disease should avoid. Malt flavoring is on that list because it is usually made from barley. Most mainstream cereals (including Rice Crispies) do have it. General Mills and Post brand cereals will clearly label their gluten. Post is a Kraft brand, and all Kraft and General Mills products will label their gluten. Once you start looking you will be amazed by how many foods are made by Kraft or General Mills. Some mainstream cereals that are currently gluten free are cocoa pebbles, fruity pebbles, berry pebbles, dora stars, trix, and neopet island berry crunch. Health valley makes corn and rice chex like cereal. Make sure that you read every label every time.

Many bouillon cubes may add gluten as a filler. If you have a specific kind at home, then you should call the manufacturer. In general, if the product is not made by Kraft, General Mills or a few other safe companies then I do not buy the product if it lists unnamed "modified food starch" or "natural flavoring." There are gluten free bouillon cubes that say they are gluten free on the box. I forgot the name but you can probably find them at any health food store.

Just want to add HerbOX Chicken and Beef bouillon is gluten free. Use it all the time.

Just want to add HerbOX Chicken and Beef bouillon is gluten free. Use it all the time.

Could it be that they contain carmel color? Is that off limits too?

If the product is from the US then caramel coloring is supposed to be made from corn. When in doubt call or email the company, they can give you the most accurate information about their products. Natural flavoring may have gluten in it, especially if it's in a meat product.

Herbox(Hormel) Bouillian cubes are gluten-free. At least I know the veg, beef, and chicken ones are. I also use them all the time. They are on Hormel's gluten-free list as well.

Hormel's gluten-free list

http://www.hormel.com/faq/faqList.asp?catitemid=41

They have some good things on there. I heard a rumor that the CEO of Hormel has children that are Celiac, and he pushes to get things gluten-free. Not sure if that is true, but dang cool if it was. Now if we can only get guys like Ronald McDonald and the Burger King with Celiac children, we'd be set.

Amen to that!

Good to see you Grant.

I would not be worried about the caramel color. Many bouillon cubes use wheat flour (gluten) to hold the cubes together. If you can find bouillon powder there is a much higher likelihood that it will be gluten-free. We use Bovril beef bouillon powder in foil pouches; it is gluten-free.

I would not be worried about the caramel color. Many bouillon cubes use wheat flour (gluten) to hold the cubes together. If you can find bouillon powder there is a much higher likelihood that it will be gluten-free. We use Bovril beef bouillon powder in foil pouches; it is gluten-free.

What if an item states "natural and artificial flavor" is that anything to worry about?? I do see alot of things that contain caramel color.... like Dr. Pepper and syrup.

This site has a great list of gluten containing ingredients that people with Celiac disease should avoid. Malt flavoring is on that list because it is usually made from barley. Most mainstream cereals (including Rice Crispies) do have it. General Mills and Post brand cereals will clearly label their gluten. Post is a Kraft brand, and all Kraft and General Mills products will label their gluten. Once you start looking you will be amazed by how many foods are made by Kraft or General Mills. Some mainstream cereals that are currently gluten free are cocoa pebbles, fruity pebbles, berry pebbles, dora stars, trix, and neopet island berry crunch. Health valley makes corn and rice chex like cereal. Make sure that you read every label every time.

Many bouillon cubes may add gluten as a filler. If you have a specific kind at home, then you should call the manufacturer. In general, if the product is not made by Kraft, General Mills or a few other safe companies then I do not buy the product if it lists unnamed "modified food starch" or "natural flavoring." There are gluten free bouillon cubes that say they are gluten free on the box. I forgot the name but you can probably find them at any health food store.

You can find some helpful links on this page: http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...-38107355957.47

What if an item states "natural and artificial flavor" is that anything to worry about?? I do see alot of things that contain caramel color.... like Dr. Pepper and syrup.

Caramel color is not something to worry about, at least in North America.

I have never found artificial flavor to contain gluten. Natural flavor can hide gluten, but the most likely source of gluten in flavor is barely malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is almost always listed as "malt flavor."

There are a number of manufacturers and brands that have a policy that they will clearly disclose gluten using a plain word in the ingredients. With these companies, if you don't see wheat, rye, barley or oats listed it means it is not there. They won't hide it under vague terms.

My current list of brands that I trust is:

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

With other brands you need to check with them to see if the natural flavor is gluten-free.

Regarding Knorr products, their website had this to say:

"Always read the label of a Knorr product to make sure they do not contain the food you are trying to avoid.  Even if you have bought the product many times before, you should still check the ingredients list and look for any other allergy information as the recipe might have changed since the last time you bought it."

I just wanted people to be aware of this and to be cautious.  Thank you!

JanetK

Regarding Knorr products, their website had this to say:

"Always read the label of a Knorr product to make sure they do not contain the food you are trying to avoid.  Even if you have bought the product many times before, you should still check the ingredients list and look for any other allergy information as the recipe might have changed since the last time you bought it."

I just wanted people to be aware of this and to be cautious.  Thank you!

JanetK

You are bringing up a 6 year old thread. Ingredients change over the years. Please don't go by any old info- check for current info & ingredients