Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dannon/activa Yogurt

34 posts in this topic

so im eating my breky this morning and i bought my self some dannon activa yogurt, ive been eating yogurt from the health food stores with no probs, but this morning i have gone to the bathroom twice allready. now im reading some conflicting stuff on the web about this yogurt but i did find a site that states it is no longer gluten-free as some of the natural flavors may accually have gluten in them. anyone have problems with this brand of yogurt. im lactose intolerant and yogurt is one thing that i can handle without having to take a lactaid so im hoping that its just this brand as yesterday i ate my stuff from the health food store with no problems.

Ads by Google:

Stick to natural organic yogurt without sugar if you want to help your gut. I don't know if it has gluten.

I looked it up on my Clan Thompson software and it said that it has stabilizers that may contain gluten so they have it listed as NOT gluten free. Yoplait is a General Mills company so they will list any gluten. Tillamook yogurt is also gluten free.

In the US Dannon Yogurts are not safe. Here is the statement from the company:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:BnWTT...;celiac disease=1&gl=us

Gluten

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, oats, rye and barley.DANNON yogurt products are not formulated to contain gluten, but they cannot be considered gluten free. This is because the natural flavor system used might have ingredients added to stabilize the flavor. These ingredients can be derived from gluten sources. Since there is a currentlack of consensus on individual sensitivity levels to gluten and there are no accurate tests to detect the presence and amount of gluten, DANNON

thanks!! :lol:

In Canada the Activia yoghurt has wheat listed right in the ingredients! Why you need to put wheat in yoghurt is beyond me.

hi i just looked on the ingredients and i didnt see wheat listed and im in canada.

I looked it up on my Clan Thompson software and it said that it has stabilizers that may contain gluten so they have it listed as NOT gluten free. Yoplait is a General Mills company so they will list any gluten. Tillamook yogurt is also gluten free.

Hi there...could u pls tell me what Clan Thompson software is and what it does that has to do with celiac disease etc? Thanks!

KarenDianne

Hi there...could u pls tell me what Clan Thompson software is and what it does that has to do with celiac disease etc? Thanks!

KarenDianne

Clan Thompson has a program that you can purchase with mainstream gluten free product listing and down load it on your PC or say a Palm Pilot. I'm sure you could find information at www.Clan Thompson.com,

In Canada the Activia yoghurt has wheat listed right in the ingredients! Why you need to put wheat in yoghurt is beyond me.

Just have to say LOVE THAT PICTURE!!! Really adorable :P .

Oh no, I've been drinking the Dannon Activa every morning for the last month! AAAAAAhHhhhhhh! It *looked* gluten free....I should know better than to trust that, though. ACK! And yes, I have been sick lately....sigh.

I guess it's off to look for another yoghurt!

hi i just looked on the ingredients and i didnt see wheat listed and im in canada.

Really? That's strange. I don't eat yogurt because I'm allergic but a coworker brought one over to me and I read the ingredients. It said right on it that it contained gluten. I wonder if its a certain flavor or something. The one I read definitely had gluten in it.

Why, because it is additive :ph34r: and because they want the yogurt thick and creamy.

Oh no, I've been drinking the Dannon Activa every morning for the last month! AAAAAAhHhhhhhh! It *looked* gluten free....I should know better than to trust that, though. ACK! And yes, I have been sick lately....sigh.

I guess it's off to look for another yoghurt!

Thats why I look for the least processed products available. You can look for the least ingredient yogurt, my Wegmans brand has "pasturized lowfat milk, nonfat milk and pectin" thats it. I just throw some in a blender with a banana and some other fruit. Makes a yogurt smoothie in seconds with all the good bacteria and flavor you could want.

so im eating my breky this morning and i bought my self some dannon activa yogurt, ive been eating yogurt from the health food stores with no probs, but this morning i have gone to the bathroom twice allready. now im reading some conflicting stuff on the web about this yogurt but i did find a site that states it is no longer gluten-free as some of the natural flavors may accually have gluten in them. anyone have problems with this brand of yogurt. im lactose intolerant and yogurt is one thing that i can handle without having to take a lactaid so im hoping that its just this brand as yesterday i ate my stuff from the health food store with no problems.

This is the reply that I just received from Danone march 24, 2010. Hope this helps!

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Only 'Activia Fibre', 'Activia Fat Free Fibre' and 'Silhouette Satisfaction' lines contain or may contain gluten :

Activia Fibre : Red fruits and cereals, Peach and cereals, Strawberry kiwi and cereals, Apple Muesli and nuts

Activia Fat Free Fibre : Red fruits and cereals, Apple Muesli, Strawberry kiwi and cereals, Vanilla cereals

Silhouette Satisfaction : Red fruits musli and nuts, Blackberry/ Blueberry musli and nuts

All the other Danone product are gluten and nuts free.

As a guideline, we always write on the ingredients list if a yogurt contains gluten or nuts.

You can be assured of Danone's consideration for all comments and questions from its customers.

This is the reply that I just received from Danone march 24, 2010. Hope this helps!

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Only 'Activia Fibre', 'Activia Fat Free Fibre' and 'Silhouette Satisfaction' lines contain or may contain gluten :

Activia Fibre : Red fruits and cereals, Peach and cereals, Strawberry kiwi and cereals, Apple Muesli and nuts

Activia Fat Free Fibre : Red fruits and cereals, Apple Muesli, Strawberry kiwi and cereals, Vanilla cereals

Silhouette Satisfaction : Red fruits musli and nuts, Blackberry/ Blueberry musli and nuts

All the other Danone product are gluten and nuts free.

As a guideline, we always write on the ingredients list if a yogurt contains gluten or nuts.

You can be assured of Danone's consideration for all comments and questions from its customers.

Just a note for those of us in the US. This is from the Canadian makers of Dannon - Danone yogurts. If you are in the US the list may differ.

OK! I am staring right at my Activa (non fiber added) and the ingredients don't say wheat. HOWEVER: It does say: " MANUFACTURED IN A PLANT PROCESSING WHEAT" So, who is to say that it is made on the same machine as other wheat products or on it's own separate machine? Go with your GUT, I guess. LOL

OK! I am staring right at my Activa (non fiber added) and the ingredients don't say wheat. HOWEVER: It does say: " MANUFACTURED IN A PLANT PROCESSING WHEAT" So, who is to say that it is made on the same machine as other wheat products or on it's own separate machine? Go with your GUT, I guess. LOL

And keep aware that it may be fine many times and then you may end up getting glutened from it. There are good yogurts that are processed in facilities that don't have any CC risk. I tend to go with those as my reactions are severe.

You can look for the least ingredient yogurt, my Wegmans brand has "pasturized lowfat milk, nonfat milk and pectin" thats it.

I would like to make a comment on the above, while staying on subject regarding yogurt. Per Ravenwoodglass, opt for the least amount of ingredients. But, look out for hidden sweeteners (Dannon Activa contains fructose syrup).

I'm just pointing this out as you asked the board whether the rest of us would consider eating this item. My opinion is to stick with Ravenwoodglass' suggestion when choosing a yogurt and you'll always making a wholesome food choice. ;)

~Wheatfreedude~

Meh, no great loss to me... Activia is the NASTYIEST tasting yogurt I've ever eaten anyway... blah. :blink:

Fage Greek yogurt is sensational; I've been eating it for years and it's luscious. Also, there is some scientific opinion out there that the yogurts that come already loaded with sugar actually "kill" off the probiotics one would hope to benefit from by eating yogurt. Adding some sugar when you eat it may not have that same effect. Read that somewhere a long time ago and never buy spruced up yogurt- do the sprucing myself.

Just a thought...

lisa

Fage Greek yogurt is sensational

And, they have it at Costco in a club pack. Throw a medley of berries in there first thing in the morning (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry).

It's packed with protein too!

~Wheatfreedude~

I am confused. I have the book Cecelia's Marketplace Gluten free grocery shopping for 2009-2010 and it says Dannon plain(Activia 24oz, Low fat, Natural and Nonfat are gluten free.

LOTS of companies claim "gluten free" who seem unaware of the cc issues with shared lines or shared facilities. I NEVER trust something that says "gluten free" until I contact the company and grill them, particularly because I have learned (the very hard way...) that I am ultra-sensitive to the evil gluten. Like so many on this board!

Just a thought,

lisa

LOTS of companies claim "gluten free" who seem unaware of the cc issues with shared lines or shared facilities. I NEVER trust something that says "gluten free" until I contact the company and grill them, particularly because I have learned (the very hard way...) that I am ultra-sensitive to the evil gluten. Like so many on this board!

Just a thought,

lisa

There are mornings like today that I think this whole thing is impossible to figure out. I spend hours on the computer and feel like I am just making a dent in my knowledge of how to be gluten free. I can't imagine how some people who work or are busy mothers do it.

Anyway I picked up some Fage yogurt yesterday. I liked Dannon's greek yogurt but will try Fage.