Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Bogus Beverages

10 posts in this topic

I have DH, and thought I had figured out the gluten-free diet without a hitch...but...I started drinking "Tab Energy" and right away began breaking out! Darned coca-cola, anyway! Has anybody else had this reaction?

Ads by Google:
I have DH, and thought I had figured out the gluten-free diet without a hitch...but...I started drinking "Tab Energy" and right away began breaking out! Darned coca-cola, anyway! Has anybody else had this reaction?

Humm...don't know about TAB, but all cokes and 7-ups are gluten free.

I have had this reaction from coke products. I believe at that time they were following the codex standard for gluten-free. This is 200ppm, the FDA has decided on a wiser 20ppm so I don't know if their gluten-free declarations will change or if they will change the products. I do continue to avoid them though.

I have had this reaction from coke products. I believe at that time they were following the codex standard for gluten-free. This is 200ppm, the FDA has decided on a wiser 20ppm so I don't know if their gluten-free declarations will change or if they will change the products. I do continue to avoid them though.

I can't drink Coke either because I can't tolerate the caramel color additive. And I love Coke! <_< I do drink 7-up and don't have a problem with it. :P

Jodi M

That damned caramel colour is in everything!

But here in NZ normal coke has 150a and that doesn't seem to disagree with me, but diet coke and zero have 150c or 150d, not sure which, but they upset me. 7-up is perect. But then with all this saying coke is gluten free I sometimes begin to wonder if it is all in my head!

Cathy

That damned caramel colour is in everything!

But here in NZ normal coke has 150a and that doesn't seem to disagree with me, but diet coke and zero have 150c or 150d, not sure which, but they upset me. 7-up is perect. But then with all this saying coke is gluten free I sometimes begin to wonder if it is all in my head!

Cathy

Cathy,

Just a thought : the Diet Coke and Coke Zero issue that you're having could be aspertame. I was never sensitive to this before I went gluten-free but now I can't even have a sip of Diet Coke without being INCREDIBLY nauseous. I figured it out because I thought I was getting glutened at Starbucks, but it was the Equal I was putting in my coffee. Oops! :blink:

-sansglutengrl

Sansglutengrl

I know it sounds like that too, and I would've thought the same, but I can drink diet 7-up. But I will give the diet coke and coke zero another go.

Cathy

Cathy,

Just a thought : the Diet Coke and Coke Zero issue that you're having could be aspertame. I was never sensitive to this before I went gluten-free but now I can't even have a sip of Diet Coke without being INCREDIBLY nauseous. I figured it out because I thought I was getting glutened at Starbucks, but it was the Equal I was putting in my coffee. Oops! :blink:

-sansglutengrl

I drink gallons of Classic Coke (or on occasion caffeine free Coke) and never had a problem. But I can't stand the diet Coke. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it starts from the taste ( like overly sweet water) to how it settles in my system. Come to think of it, I don't care for any diet drinks :blink: .

Ed In MD

And it could be the fact that I am in NZ, so the recipe could be different. But it is still promoted as gluten free

Cathy

Cathy,

-sansglutengrl

That's a good point SSG,I can't tolerate any of the artificial sweeteners,they give me an almost immeadiate headache,and I hardly ever have headaches. Something to think about surely.

Mike