This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ranch Dressings

candi1008

candi1008 Rookie

Ok, I am probably going to sound really stupid here...I just started my gluten free diet, and I am soo confused. I have heard that kraft ranch dressing is gluten free, but hidden valley ranch dressing is not. Is that true? And if so, why? What makes the one gluten free and not the other, they both contain vinegar right? Hidden Valley is by far my favorite, but I guess if I have to switch to kraft, I have to switch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

Kraft will clearly label gluten on the label. Read a Kraft label and if you do not see gluten it is safe. I use the buttermilk ranch dressing.

However, you are right. Nothing beats the taste of Hidden Valley. When I was first dx, several years ago, the company said it was not safe. I really have no idea why. Last time I read the bottle it looked fine to me. But it is not worth being sick over so I skip it and go to the Kraft.

Hez

candi1008 Rookie
Kraft will clearly label gluten on the label. Read a Kraft label and if you do not see gluten it is safe. I use the buttermilk ranch dressing.

However, you are right. Nothing beats the taste of Hidden Valley. When I was first dx, several years ago, the company said it was not safe. I really have no idea why. Last time I read the bottle it looked fine to me. But it is not worth being sick over so I skip it and go to the Kraft.

Hez

Thank you for your help...this whole think is a little confusing to me...especially the distilled vinegar part...is it worth it to pay to go to a dietician (I have no insurance) or are they going to just give me more lists of things that I can't eat?? Also, what about ketchup? Is it safe? and Mayonaise?

Nantzie Collaborator

There have been a couple different responses from them that I remember - (1) Hidden Valley Ranch doesn't always use the same type of starch in their modified food starch. So they won't guarantee the source. You kind of end up with a Russian Roullette situation. It can be fine for a long time, and then all of a sudden it can make you sick as a dog. (2) They have problems with cross-contamination and/or won't guarantee that their outside-sourced ingredients are gluten-free.

This is what I was told quite a while back, maybe a year, so that may have changed. I just looked at their website, and their statement now is that they label in accordance with FDA requirements that any allergen be declared.

Anyone use Hidden Valley? I'd also love to be able to go back to the good stuff, especially the packets.

If you can find Kraft Buttermilk Ranch, it reminds me of Hidden Valley.

Nancy

Nantzie Collaborator

You don't have to avoid vinegar for the most part. That's old information, but there are some vinegars you do have to avoid. Apple cider flavored vineger can have gluten (regular apple cider vinegar should not). Malt vinegar is not gluten-free, malt is barley.

Honestly, dieticians and nutritionists are generally not well-informed about celiac. They tend to give outdated information, and sometimes dangerously inaccurate information. My husband works with a woman who was diagnosed with celiac (biopsy proven). She used to be a nutritionist. She told my husband that celiacs can drink beer as long as it's German beer. :blink::blink::blink:

You're actually in the best place in the world to learn about the gluten-free diet. This message board is great.

Ketchup and mayo should be fine. The rule is that you ALWAYS read labels. Even if you just bought it last week. Reformulations can sneak up on you. I tend to stick to Kraft products as much as possible because they will fully disclose any allergen.

Nancy

candi1008 Rookie
You don't have to avoid vinegar for the most part. That's old information, but there are some vinegars you do have to avoid. Apple cider flavored vineger can have gluten (regular apple cider vinegar should not). Malt vinegar is not gluten-free, malt is barley.

Honestly, dieticians and nutritionists are generally not well-informed about celiac. They tend to give outdated information, and sometimes dangerously inaccurate information. My husband works with a woman who was diagnosed with celiac (biopsy proven). She used to be a nutritionist. She told my husband that celiacs can drink beer as long as it's German beer. :blink::blink::blink:

You're actually in the best place in the world to learn about the gluten-free diet. This message board is great.

Ketchup and mayo should be fine. The rule is that you ALWAYS read labels. Even if you just bought it last week. Reformulations can sneak up on you. I tend to stick to Kraft products as much as possible because they will fully disclose any allergen.

Nancy

Thank you for your help, this can be quite overwhelming, thinking that for the rest of my life, I am going to have to be extremely careful about what I eat...I have never been one to be careful about food.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

hang in there candi. it will get better. what i have found helps me to feel like i don't have to stress about every little thing is to stock up on my staples, so i always have something in the house that i know is safe to eat. you really are in the best place to get info!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

Nancy

have a quick ? when my son was tested positive 2 years ago(Celiac Sprue) we were told only Hunts katchup was safe.....so is others too? we always used Heinz before...and he CAN"T or anyone else in family do Hidden Valley Sorry Candi and all Hidden Valley lovers (I'am new to all this still) :) And if any lucnhmeat lovers Son found Gluten free at Wal-mart :)
Nantzie Collaborator

We use Heinz all the time. I guess from the standpoint of doctors and nutritionists, it's better to tell you that too many things need to be avoided than to leave something off the list.

I came across a recent post that someone said they had headaches and GI issues after trying Hidden Valley. Drat. Hopefully they'll re-formulate someday. What stupid reason could there possibly be that gluten just has to be in ranch dressing? Dorks. <_<

Not that I'm bitter or anything. :lol:

:D

Nancy

Lola B Rookie

Oh my goodness - if what you're saying about Hidden Valley is accurate, then my mystery might be solved. I've been glutening my own child by giving her carrots and Hidden Valley dressing to dip them in. I read all of the ingredients on the label and assumed (incorrectly) that it was safe. No wonder her DH has been flaring up so much lately. I feel like the worst mother ever.

I'll be calling the company today to confirm whether or not their dressing is gluten free, and if they can't give me a 100% answer, we'll be switching to Kraft. Are there any other salad dressings out there that are off limits too? What about cesear dressings?

JennyC Enthusiast

I called Hidden Valley Ranch a couple of weeks ago and they gave me a list of gluten free products. They told me that their ORIGINAL ranch is gluten-free, but many of their variations like garlic are not.

There's nothing like Hidden Valley ranch! :D

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I'm more p.o.'d about gluten being in Kraft's super yummy extra garlic Caesar dressing. <_< We use Kraft for Ranch and Renee's for Caesar. It says gluten-free right on the label. I think Renee's might only be available in Canada.

Does the Hidden Valley dry Ranch packet contain gluten?

happygirl Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Companies that will list any gluten and not hide it:

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hershey, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

Companies like ConAgra, General Mills, Unilever...etc are huge companies and own many, many brands...so make sure you always turn the product over, look on the label, and see if it is made by one of the above companies.

Nantzie Collaborator

B)-->

QUOTE(Lola B @ May 18 2007, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my goodness - if what you're saying about Hidden Valley is accurate, then my mystery might be solved. I've been glutening my own child by giving her carrots and Hidden Valley dressing to dip them in. I read all of the ingredients on the label and assumed (incorrectly) that it was safe. No wonder her DH has been flaring up so much lately. I feel like the worst mother ever.

I'll be calling the company today to confirm whether or not their dressing is gluten free, and if they can't give me a 100% answer, we'll be switching to Kraft. Are there any other salad dressings out there that are off limits too? What about cesear dressings?

You're not a bad mom. You're a GOOD MOM making your way through a world of gluten. It can and does sneak up on you.

Nancy

JennyC Enthusiast

Companies that will list any gluten and not hide it:

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hershey, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

Companies like ConAgra, General Mills, Unilever...etc are huge companies and own many, many brands...so make sure you always turn the product over, look on the label, and see if it is made by one of the above companies.

Are you sure that Con Agra will list their gluten? When I called about their Act II microwavable popcorn. They told me that it was gluten free, and then they proceeded to tell me how they list the top 8 allergens. When I asked them about barley, oats and rye I never got a solid response.

candi1008 Rookie

Thank you all for the help...I really really appreciate it.

angelbender Newbie

Candi.....I'd called Hidden Valley last fall and they told me that the regular ranch and buttermilk were definitely gluten free. I was still healing so I will have to try it again to confirm. I've actually been using Marie's (the really thick dressings) and diluting it with an oil and vinegar dressing. Marie's told me that ALL of their dressings are gluten free last fall and I have found that to be true. They said even their bleu cheese (surprise?) but I can't confirm that as I don't like bleu cheese anyhow. I called Heinz and all of their ketchups are gluten free EXCEPT for the organic one. Hellman's mayo is most definitely gluten-free, by my confirmation but also the company. It's made by Unilever and they seem to be one of those up front companies that will list stuff. If you call the 800# on products, they will sometimes send you lists and coupons. Hope this helps......Angel :rolleyes:

Lisa Mentor
Candi.....I'd called Hidden Valley last fall and they told me that the regular ranch and buttermilk were definitely gluten free. I was still healing so I will have to try it again to confirm. I've actually been using Marie's (the really thick dressings) and diluting it with an oil and vinegar dressing. Marie's told me that ALL of their dressings are gluten free last fall and I have found that to be true. They said even their bleu cheese (surprise?) but I can't confirm that as I don't like bleu cheese anyhow. I called Heinz and all of their ketchups are gluten free EXCEPT for the organic one. Hellman's mayo is most definitely gluten-free, by my confirmation but also the company. It's made by Unilever and they seem to be one of those up front companies that will list stuff. If you call the 800# on products, they will sometimes send you lists and coupons. Hope this helps......Angel :rolleyes:

We had to give a reception this weekend and needed blue cheese dressing. I looked at the lable of Marie's Blue Cheese and I put it back (can't remember, but it was wheat related). Check you labels carefully.

angelbender Newbie

Candi......I forgot to answer your question about going to a dietician. I'm sure others here probably have more favourable experiences but I thought mine was a waste of good money. I waited over a week to go and maybe I expected miracles but she really didn't tell me anything that I already didn't know.....the only info that helped was what alcohol was gluten-free and also a gluten free bakery. I thought that her "menu" lists were silly and outdated. I was very bummed when I left. I had the feeling that she didn't know much about Celiac and had just looked it up the night before. When I saw the bill I flipped ($200.80 for less than an hour! I'm in the wrong profession!) and was darned glad that I had insurance. I would'n't go again even if I did have insurance. But that's just me. I'm hoping that somebody else will have some good experiences to relate here. I'll bet that you will learn much more here than you can with a dietician. :unsure:

isiskingdom Contributor
Candi......I forgot to answer your question about going to a dietician. I'm sure others here probably have more favourable experiences but I thought mine was a waste of good money. I waited over a week to go and maybe I expected miracles but she really didn't tell me anything that I already didn't know.....the only info that helped was what alcohol was gluten-free and also a gluten free bakery. I thought that her "menu" lists were silly and outdated. I was very bummed when I left. I had the feeling that she didn't know much about Celiac and had just looked it up the night before. When I saw the bill I flipped ($200.80 for less than an hour! I'm in the wrong profession!) and was darned glad that I had insurance. I would'n't go again even if I did have insurance. But that's just me. I'm hoping that somebody else will have some good experiences to relate here. I'll bet that you will learn much more here than you can with a dietician. :unsure:

I agree about the dietician being a waste they no nothing compared to the people on here. Don't waste your $ like I did

Guest lorlyn

I agree about not going to a dietician. Took my 10 year old daughter and it was a waste of time and $232.00 for less than a hour. My daughter and I already knew more than she did just from reading on this forum.

happygirl Collaborator
Are you sure that Con Agra will list their gluten? When I called about their Act II microwavable popcorn. They told me that it was gluten free, and then they proceeded to tell me how they list the top 8 allergens. When I asked them about barley, oats and rye I never got a solid response.

Jenny,

These companies that I listed have had a solid "we won't hide anything" policy for as long as I have been on this board. Maybe Peter or one of the other members has the documentation. I fully trust this list, and have verified many of them myself, and have gotten trustworthy responses. I can't speak if this has changed very recently.

psawyer Proficient

At one point, a few years ago, ConAgra would only ensure that wheat was disclosed. When I asked in early 2006, over a year ago, they told me at that time that ALL gluten sources would be clearly disclosed, but it is possible that they have reverted to wheat-only disclosure. I have not had occasion to talk to them since.

Sometimes, you will get unclear answers, or differing answers from different customer service representiatves. In most cases, they are looking up the question in a FAQ list and giving the scripted answer if there is one. If they can't find the question, they may "skate" by making vague statements based on the answer to a similar question.

I guess it is time to make another call to them, being careful to ask the precise questions.

JennyC Enthusiast
Jenny,

These companies that I listed have had a solid "we won't hide anything" policy for as long as I have been on this board. Maybe Peter or one of the other members has the documentation. I fully trust this list, and have verified many of them myself, and have gotten trustworthy responses. I can't speak if this has changed very recently.

Thanks. I must have gotten a new guy when I called. It didn't make sense that such a big company would not clearly list their gluten.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Sort of off topic, but related to ConAgra. I've been told they clearly label W, R, O, B/M as well.

I use VH Soy Sauce, made by ConAgra. The first item on the list of ingredients is soy. Underneath the ingredient list in bold it says contains: soy. I figure if a company has an allergen as the first ingredient, and then bolds it in a contains line, then the company is pretty up front about labelling.

Archived