mamabear

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

#5 You only get less than the average face time of 5 minutes per visit

#4 It takes over 10 minutes non stop talking to explain all your symptoms

#3 He/she says...... :huh: I thought it was a kiddie disease!

#2 He/she says.....do you really think you can follow that diet??

#1 There is only ONE restroom in the office!!! :blink:
Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003
Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003
Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

#6 - They ask you how to spell celiac.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#3 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

Um, how about this - - your primary care doctor (who THANK GOD referred you to a wonderful GI for serious anemia and internal bleeding) says

"what is gluten? what is it in?" :huh:

I broke up with her.
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#4 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

(1) When you finally get up the nerve to tell your doc about your embarassing symptoms of gas, bloating, constipation and excruciating gut pain, she tells you "Oh, that's just IBS". Everybody your age gets IBS."

(2) When you ask how to treat IBS, she hands you a diet sheet which recommends you eat more fiber, but especially WHEAT bran.

(3) When you follow her 'IBS' diet sheet suggestions and your symptoms get WORSE, not better, she says, "You'll have to learn to live with it. There's nothing else we can do."

(4) Your doctor wants to test you for all the diseases for which you have no risk factors (like breast cancer, heart disease, etc.), but can't explain or resolve your excruciating gut pain symptoms.

(5) Your doctor tells you that you're perfectly healthy according to your physical exam and test results.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#5 annie76

annie76

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

When your family doctor looks at you like "oh no! not diareah lady again!"
When your GI doctor who gave you your DX says "oh don't worry its not genetic" :blink:

#6 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

When your doctor says you are the second patient he has diagnosed with coeliac. (A bit reminiscent of the midwife telling me that my son was her first delivery, so I confessed he was my first baby too!)

Cathy

#7 Nooner

Nooner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:14 AM

When you figure out gluten is a problem ON YOUR OWN through an elimination diet, and you go to the Dr for a celiac blood test, and she says, "You don't have diarrhea. You can't have celiac disease unless you have diarrhea."

When the blood test comes back negative and the Dr says, "See, I told you so. You have IBS. Let me give you a prescription."

When you insist that gluten is the problem, due to dietary response, and she says, "You don't want to be on a gluten-free diet. It's impossible."
~Li

Celiac, dx Sep 2006

#8 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

How about when the doctor tries to describe Celiac disease my comparing it to a reaction to poison oak! Totally insulted my intelligence. I never try to flaunt my degree but I had to in order to get him to stop talking to me like a child!

When they tell you that Celiac disease is not a spotty disease relative to intestinal biopsies. Every case he had ever seen had a positive biopsy. (Go figure. <_< )

If the biopsy is negative then the highly positive blood tests were wrong--go home and order pizza.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:38 AM

First of all--Ann, how funny is it that you started this thread :lol:

Mine was when I started requesting tests and asking about too amny things she just didn't know about.

My doctor was a lovely person, but after I figured out that I might have a "problem with wheat" from an alternative practioner, checked it out with a gastroenterologist, and was finally diagnosed--I told her and she kind of raised her eyebrows and said "did it relieve your symptoms?" :unsure:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

Or when the doctor directs you to the internet for information.
That really was good advise, as this is where I met all of you wonderful people.
Cathy

#11 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

When you go to the doctor because you are extremely dizzy, nauseated, bad diarrhea, extremely low blood pressure and heart palpitations and she takes your pulse and says it seems fine...take some dramamine for the nausea and don't move suddenly. Huh? :lol:

#12 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:04 AM

Ann, you are bust-a-gut funny! First, the fact that you started this thread -- which proves that you are the type of physician EVERYONE wants. Second, the reasons are great!

I have one: When the neurologist says, "Well, everything I've read indicates that your antigliadin levels will ALWAYS be elevated, and there is no reason to further check them." When everything he's read has come from articles that YOU supplied and they all indicate that the levels should be checked every 6 months!!!

P.S.: I got "fired" from his office because, after an extremely frustrating 5 minutes with him, he asked me what my neurolopsychological profile said. He doesn't even KNOW what it is! It is a functional test that shows which portion(s) of your brain aren't operating properly. I told him that it said that I have Occulomotor Apraxia, and that my "Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory" was well within normal limits, with a mild increased concentration on a chronic medical condition. I also told him since that test was taken two years ago, I no longer have an increased concentration because, quite frankly, I couldn't give a rat's "arse" if I ever saw another doctor again. ;) Two weeks later, I received a notice that I had a registered letter at the post-office --- from him! Typically, that means, in the words of Donald Trump, "You're Fired."!!!!! :lol:
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#13 little d

little d

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

Having my GI tell me at my first visit with him I wonder why my partners had you come to me I have only diagnosed 70% of the Celiac patients in his office so I guess that makes me the expert of Celiacs in the office. I told him that I didn't know who I wanted I just wanted an appointment. And if you did have anything I would want you to have IBS that can be controlled with meds.

Having my GI also tell me that being gluten-free would not make a differnce in the test

Having my GI not here me when I say 3 months he heres 3 weeks.

Having my Family Doctor not know what Celiac is I don't blame him for that, but he said I don't think that I have heard of that but I will sure look it up, because he would like to know, for future referance. I ought to ask him the next time someone in the family goes.

Donna
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

#14 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:46 AM

How about the ever famous answer of "It's a female thing". Followed in a close second to "It's all in yuor head. Here's a prescription for Prozac." Yeah I'm sure that Prozac is just gonna make me happy that I have lower right abdominal pain, weight loss, diarrhea, gas, bloating, more weight loss, and chronic anemia.

We should start a list of favorite quotes from relatives and doctors!

#15 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hey -- my OB/GYN gave me Prozac when I told him that I felt like I was sitting on golf balls!!! Come to find out, I had my bladder and my rectum both distended and pushing into the vaginal walls, and my uterus had dropped to the point that it was coming out (literally). No wonder the Prozac didn't make me feel better!!!!!!! :lol:
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: