This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Top Five Reasons To Get A New Doctor

mamabear

curlyfries Contributor

My family dr recommended a rheumatologist when the meds he had me on for fibromyalgia just wasn't working well enough for me. It took 3 months before I could see him. They sent me the pages and pages of paperwork to fill out. When I got there they had no record of my app't, but they couldn't deny it because I had the paperwork they had sent. I had the choice of making a new app't or waiting til the end of the day to see a different dr. I chose to wait. He poked around and asked, "does this hurt?' several times ,only to tell me, "You have tennis elbow :D . Oh, you have tennis hip ;) . You have tennis knee ;);) . I think he thought he was funny, or he was trying to humor the hypochondriac :angry: He put me on an exercise regimen that even a 90 yr old that can get out bed and stand on two feet could do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whitball Explorer

I took my 17 year old daughter to see the doc to find out why she is tired all of the time. We ended up seeing a resident, rather than our usual doc. I explained her symptoms and asked to have her tested for celiac disease. The resident looked at her chart and noticed that she was on the pill last year. She was placed on the pill for menstral pain along with heavy bleeding. He told us that since she was on the pill, he wanted to do a pelvic exam and to do a pregnancy test. My daughter was having her period and I told him so. He again insisted on doing both tests. My daughter is not sexually active at this time, so I refused both and demanded a regular blood work up, including the tests for celiac disease. I threatened to put the man in a headlock until he tapped out and agreed to do the tests. He had to go talk to his supervisor and came back again with permission to do the tests. Amazing what we need to do to get people to listen.

Jestgar Rising Star
I threatened to put the man in a headlock until he tapped out and agreed to do the tests. He had to go talk to his supervisor and came back again with permission to do the tests. Amazing what we need to do to get people to listen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

home-based-mom Contributor

I think I see a pattern here.

Those who think they know it all get really annoyed by and do NOT want to listen to those of us who really do know it all!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

babygirl1234 Rookie

i guess the doctor didnt want to be put in a headlock lol

• 2 weeks later...
Aleshia Contributor

I *think* I found a good dr this time... he's willing to do the bloodwork for celiac but is still stuck on this gall bladder thing... at least he isn't telling me that the abdominal/rib pain that I get along with gas/burping ins't just because i'm constipated... the last dr thinks I must have been constipated for the last 9 years straight... and said that constipation is what makes me vomit.... ?? anyway this dr i have now spent more than 1 1/2 hours with me on my first visit and did chest xrays and labwork right during the visit. found out he's an internalist and is supposed to be good at figuring out unexplained symptoms... just hope he realizes its probably not my gallbladder... :)

Aleshia Contributor

thats what my dr said... you don't have celiac because you don't have dirarhea and you're not losing weight!.... its like don't they know anything????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aleshia Contributor

ok, so this isn't celiac realted but it is dr related...

about 6 months after getting married I was with my husband at his office, they had some of those stacking chairs with the square metal legs and my husband being the kind of guy he was was tipping his back with the 2 front legs of the chair off the floor... my foot happened to be on the floor near him and he sat up straight very suddenly... so I had my husband's 190lbs of weight compressed into that little tiny chair leg on top of my foot.... needless to say it HURT!! so about 3 months later I decided I should see a Dr cause it was still hurting and we were getting ready to move internationally and I wanted to be sure that it wasn't broken or anything... the dr says "oh, its not because it got injured or anything that it hurts... its because you're overweight... (I was about 40-50lb's overweight) then he says, is your husband overweight too?? and I'm thinking... why's he asking this? is it because of how much weight would have come down on my foot??? then I said, no, he's tall and skinny.... THEN.... the dr says "so I guess that makes the nursery rhyme true doesn't it???" and I'm like "what nursery rhyme?" and he's like "Jack sprat could eat no fat his wife could eat no lean..." I wanted to deck him... he reluctantly agreed to do an xray then came back and said the machine was broken... and proceeded to bill me 170 dollars!!!!

man I think I need therapy over that one! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

• 2 months later...
LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

when the school nurse practitioner laughs at you b/c you have gas.

• 3 weeks later...
nikky Contributor

Hows this:

when you tell the registra that for the last week you have had chronic lower right abdo pain and he just looks at you as if to say "what do you expect me to do about it", then after cheking me over he looked at the wall and said to go to A&E if it carried on but it isnt anything to worry about . (go figure).

Then 4 or 5 months later when you make an appointment with your GP because of this pain thats taking up your life they (the receptionist) say "oh its not an emergancy so you can wait a while" and gives you an appointment for over a months time, during which you change doctors. (3 days after switching i got an appointment)

Your new doctor tells you theres not much they can do, they think it may be coeliac related in which case its your GI's area... then when told of the registras response 5 months earlier they say "well i'll chase your GI up for you" ...

in the end you get an appointment for 7 months after the issue could have been resolved. Grrrrrrr. <_<

• 3 weeks later...
siren Rookie
#5 You only get less than the average face time of 5 minutes per visit

#4 It takes over 10 minutes non stop talking to explain all your symptoms

#3 He/she says...... :huh: I thought it was a kiddie disease!

#2 He/she says.....do you really think you can follow that diet??

#1 There is only ONE restroom in the office!!! :blink:

LOL I so agree with that.. this post made my morning ty for the laugh :) but it is ever so true!!!

siren Rookie
thats what my dr said... you don't have celiac because you don't have dirarhea and you're not losing weight!.... its like don't they know anything????

If the doctor's did their research they would see you can gain weight as well as loose weight with this disease.. I went the other way and gained weight!! I am still having problems with things I eat.. I need to find a doctor that is WILLING to get me where I need to be.. not sure where to look in colorado for a good doc.. we just moved here..

siren~

Lockheed Apprentice

my doctor wasn't even kind enough to tell me it was all in my head.. he just gave me a written out referral to a psychiatrist. I really do have depression issues and already had been in therapy over that to have a doctor tell me that I need to see a psychiatrist because he thinks my complaints are made up. How made up is not being able to go to the bathroom for six weeks?

But then again he also thought my broken collar bone was a pulled muscle in my shoulder.

Fifi Newbie

I have been reading all of these and it just disgusts me that the people that WE need to help us can't. I have been researching things online and faxing them to my doctor and diagnosing myself. What is wrong with this picture???? Are there ANY good doctors out there??? anyone we can trust??? or do we just have each other?? This is really sad when our insurance money is paying these doctors when I am doing the research and faxing information so he can make an iformed decision on what kind of medication wil not react with other meds I am on???? Why can we not have our doctors talk to each other??? I have 6 doctors all for different things, they don't want to know what each other knows. I hear every day "I can't adjust that med because I didn't prescribe it" Well I am one person and you should all work together for my health right???? ok, well I have ranted enough sorry. :(

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

how about, "You don't have Celiac, that's a sexually transmitted disease and you said you've only been with one person...your husband." WOW! RUNNNNN!!!!!

kbtoyssni Contributor
how about, "You don't have Celiac, that's a sexually transmitted disease and you said you've only been with one person...your husband." WOW! RUNNNNN!!!!!

Really!!???!! Your doctor said that??? I think this one wins my "worst/stupidest things a doc has said" contest!

Jaimepsalm63 Rookie

It's true. I changed offices not just doctors. I figured if one doctor said that then the others were just as bad.

I had already been reading up on Celiac and was gluten free before I was Dx with a biopsy.

The doc I have now had a questionnaire I made him fill out before I would see him. The first question was, "What is Celiac and how do you get it?" He passed with flying colours and that's why I still see him to this day.

My husband almost threw up when he heard the doctor say that. He asked where the doctor studied and what his GPA was. I think he barely met his requirements, but that's just from what I experienced from him. :o

kbtoyssni Contributor
The doc I have now had a questionnaire I made him fill out before I would see him. The first question was, "What is Celiac and how do you get it?" He passed with flying colours and that's why I still see him to this day.

I love this! I might do this myself since there's a possibility I might have to change doctors soon (due to moving, not to incompetence, my current doc is very celiac-aware so I hate to give her up).

nikky Contributor
I have been reading all of these and it just disgusts me that the people that WE need to help us can't. I have been researching things online and faxing them to my doctor and diagnosing myself. What is wrong with this picture???? Are there ANY good doctors out there??? anyone we can trust??? or do we just have each other?? This is really sad when our insurance money is paying these doctors when I am doing the research and faxing information so he can make an iformed decision on what kind of medication wil not react with other meds I am on???? Why can we not have our doctors talk to each other??? I have 6 doctors all for different things, they don't want to know what each other knows. I hear every day "I can't adjust that med because I didn't prescribe it" Well I am one person and you should all work together for my health right???? ok, well I have ranted enough sorry. :(

There is a good doctor out there, Dr.P.Dale of the Royal Gwent. He doesnt care if its not his area he still trys to help you, the only problem is theres no garuntee your going to see him, if hes not available you gave to see his registra who is a complete idiot. Oh and another thing hes a peadi so either when im 16 or 18 i have to stop seeing him :(

nikky Contributor

ummm... are you sure that doctor was even qualified??????

frec Contributor

The doctor doesn't have to know everything and it isn't possible. My primary care doctor at least knows what celiac is, but I know more than he does. What is important is that he LISTENS. He believes my symptoms. He even (reluctantly) coordinates with my naturopath. Unfortunately his level of celiac expertise is, "If you are on the diet and you have no diarrhea then you must be fine." I told him that was not necessarily true and I would send him some articles. (I suspect he may even read them.) He still referred me for some tests though, including the ones I asked for.

• 2 weeks later...
Batmans-Cinderella Newbie
#6 - They ask you how to spell celiac.

Nancy

Thank you I needed that tonight. It has been one of thouse days.

Katsby Apprentice

The day of my endoscopy my GI Dr. got on me about why I waited so long to have it done. It had been three months since my appt. I looked at him and said, "I took the first appt. your office gave me." He got red, apologized for "forgetting" about me and walked out. I never saw him again until my follow up.

DeLina Newbie
How about the ever famous answer of "It's a female thing". Followed in a close second to "It's all in yuor head. Here's a prescription for Prozac." Yeah I'm sure that Prozac is just gonna make me happy that I have lower right abdominal pain, weight loss, diarrhea, gas, bloating, more weight loss, and chronic anemia.

We should start a list of favorite quotes from relatives and doctors!

My favorite Dr Quote "You have bulimia" :D

debmidge Rising Star

My husband has celiac and he believes his sister does too. She will not get tested as she says she'd die before going on a gluten free diet. Anyway, his sister does not see the same doctors my husband does.....so I had an apportunity to talk to her Internist at a social gathering about my husband's celiac and how she could possibly have it too. This dummy doctor replied: "She doesn't have it because she doesn't have any gastro symptoms." DUH!

This was a stupid answer because this dummy internist doctor has given her prescriptions for ZANTAC over the past 15 years or so without doing any endoscopic testing whatsoever. She has had bowel and stomach aches and issues for the past 30 years (as long as I have known her) with belching and loss of weight. This internist (my apologies to the handicapped) must be deaf, dumb and blind as my SIL and MIL both go to him and my MIL saw him each month for the past few years and my SIL would book a double appointment so the doctor could see both of them during the same visit - so it wasn't like he never had the opportunity to do a physical exam or blood work on her. He would just give her the stomach pills she'd ask for with no questions asked by him.

Archived