#136 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

Enjoyed this thread.

I had an ER doctor to ask me if I was there for her to find out what was wrong with me or control my pain. I replied to find out what's wrong. She rolled her eyes and said That's not going to happen!

I had my PCP give up and pat me on my knee and said, well it's probably something for the GYN, he'll fix you up. If something was going to rupture, it all ready would have.

I had CC and didn't know I had done it last month. I was in so much pain when I called the gastro on Monday, the nurse said we have no appointments until Friday, you'll have to go to the ER. What?! I didn't go to the ER BTDT!

My dietition was the bigeest help!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#137 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

When your doctor's P.A. is a hopeless incompetent and/or has it in for you :unsure:

You leave a message that you need an urgent appt. (instructions from the ER) and a prescrription for potassium. You get her voice mail which states that your call will be returned in 24 hours and DO NOT call again "because this only delays the process", :ph34r: and then she not only does not call you but claims you didn't even call.

When you call scheduling and finally get an appt. and ask her to leave a written message for the P.A. about the potassium prescription. And she claims she did not get the message. :huh:

When she actually calls you just prior to discharge from the hospital (which you would not have needed to go to if you had gotten the */@#* potassium), and tells you she is calling in a prescription for overnight oxygen to a company (I have COPD and have trouble with the altitude). When you get home you call the company at 4:45 p.m. to confirm you are there to receive it, and they tell you they don't have a prescription :angry: :blink: And they have to wait for the doctor to get free to get it from her. :rolleyes: And it is coming from Reno :o Fortunately the driver lives in Carson City :)

And all that is just this one week, this year. We won't go into last year....

Trouble is, I love my doc :wub:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#138 kaki_clam

kaki_clam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

My doctor said.."My wife and I had a few friends over the other night, we were sitting around drinking beer, and I brought up my 'Celiac Patient' (meaning me)...next thing I knew, we had spent hours talking about how much that would suck."

Really?

#139 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

My dad's doctor refused to let him get tested for Celiac disease (and I have it) because he showed "no symptoms."
After 20 plus years of having that grouchy bastard doctor, this was the last straw and he finally changed doctors.

#140 ilookthetype

ilookthetype

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

I just got super scared to go see my doc about getting tested. :unsure:
Gluten Intolerant 07/10, who knew that wheat didn't make everyone sick...

Run Mad as often as you choose but do not faint. (Fanny Price)

"Its a sacred time when two roommates nap together."

#141 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Don't be. I had two docs convinced that celiac was the issue despite negative tests.

And then a sensible one who did more comprehensive testing and found more nutrient deficiencies that were also issues, as well as pushing me to do an elimination diet.

I also had an incompetent GI years ago who lost blood and never sent me any test results. But hey.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#142 mamabear

mamabear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

When I created this post a few years ago, it was mainly a comic relief effort to some really serious reactions from disengaged doctors. It has been gratifying to check in from time to time, because it still gives a chuckle; still gives a great vent and still educates us to keep pushing until you find a doctor who cares to be a partner in YOUR health and healing.
Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003
Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003
Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

#143 Kay DH

Kay DH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

If it is clear from your first meeting with a doctor that he is trying to prove you wrong, run, and I donít mean your GI tract because it already runs enough. B)

My Celiac symptoms started last September, after getting the flu. I could handle the D by just eating small pieces of bread, couldnít do anything for my very stiff hands, and didnít notice the other symptoms. Iíd had skin rashes in the insides of my calves and other places for decades, but the doctors just said to use hydrocortisone. No diagnosis. So, in November I went to a rheumatologist. He said to just take Aleve for now, and he then went into a prolonged discussion of the cardiac ablation he had the month before. No tests. So, I researched reactive arthritis, which I had 20 years ago, and noticed that gluten can cause problems. So, that is why I went gluten-free. My GI, brain fog, lethargy, and other symptoms went away within a week. My arthritis took 1.5 months, my rashes +6 months. My sensitivity to cc increased greatly. I went to my GP in Jan and she ran a Celiac Panel; negative, probably because I was off gluten. Other inflammation tests were weakly positive. I have had low thyroid for about a decade and have low D vitamins. Only test Iíve had for Celiac that hasnít been negative is for HLA-DQ8. Family history is inconclusive but suggests Celiac. So, in my attempt to be proactive in determining what I have, I make an appointment with a GI in March. I mistakenly believed that a GI from a group recommended by a local Celiac website would know problems associated with gluten.

I kept a journal of my diet and symptoms. He said the HLA-DQ8 only gave me a 10% chance of Celiac, and proceeded to dismiss my other symptoms as diverticulosis. I debated him on the various points, which seems to be a mistake with medical doctors (not my GP though, she is great). Iím a research scientist, but my Ph.D is not in medicine, and he seemed to want to prove me wrong. Fine by me. My colonoscopy/endoscopy was scheduled for April. He was sure that I only needed 1 week on 3-slices of white bread a day for a positive reaction. He took so many biopsies of my large intestine that it probably looked polka dotted inside (all negative for diverticulosis), one of my esophagus (minor asymptomatic gerd), and only one about Ĺ down my duodenum, which was negative. I never talked with him after this, his assistant called with the results and the doctor didn't even address the gluten problem. Well, at least I know I donít have other problems, but Iíll probably never know if I have Celiac because there is no way Iím going to make myself sick for the 3+ weeks required for real endoscopy biopsies.

#144 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

These are quite something and I take them to heart!

My GI told me just the other day that "Because you've had IBS so long, that's what it is" I also got the *antidepressant* speel and of course the ever popular eating more fibre. She had nothing to come back with when I told her I am already on antidepressants for PMDD.

So if your an idiot for 30 years I guess you will always be an idiot and there is no cure?

BUZZZZZ
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#145 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Gastro's report says you have an "aversion to food."

Another gastro tells you that your weight loss is only becuase your're not eating enough food. (Heck with the fact that you've had diarrhea for 3 mos and lost 30 lbs.)
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#146 aderifield

aderifield

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:26 PM

My favorite all time reason for changing doctors is when they look at you and say,

"You look healthy."

I recently had a cardiologist tell me (on a morning when I was especially sick), "You're better than advertised.... You advertise yourself! All you need to do is cheer up, be happy... you'll feel better!"

And, at the end of that meeting, we both walked out thinking, "Next!"

#147 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

When you tell your cardiologist you are consulting a nutritionist, and all he has to say is (playing to the peanuts back-desk gallery here): "Is she a good-looking chick?" :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#148 Lynayah

Lynayah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

When the doctor suggests that you walk around carrying a sign that says "Will work for Pampers."

Seriously though, when the doctor takes blood tests then looks only at celiac and not at gluten intolerance -- only at IgA and not at IgG.

Great thread!
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#149 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

"Loose twenty pounds and all your problems will go away."

"Yeah, ah, the joint pain and the nausea too? Really?"

"Absolutely."

I never went back to him. He was way too young anyway, and his hands were clamy and cold and shook when he examined me.
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#150 Dellers

Dellers

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

When your doctor says " in over 25 years I have never had a patient with negative bloods for celiac be celiac "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: