This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab

confusedks

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Nancy,

I think you are interpreting my posts in a way that you choose to and not at all how I intended them to be interpreted.

I dont feel as if I have to constantly defend myself to someone who is cleary not "getting" what I am saying.....and who clearly has some issues with the fact that I'm not 100% behind Enterolab's testing.

The problem is that you have a habit of stating as fact things that are simply theories and opinions. When new people come here and see a board veteran seemingly stating facts, when other people are stating opinions and theories, they tend to believe the person who says they have facts and disregards people who state that what they are saying are their opinions and theories.

When I post my opinions....I am clearly stating that they are my opinions based on my experience, my observations, research, etc. NEVER have I stated any of my beliefs to be fact....again this is your own misinterpretation.

When I state something as fact...I will put into quotes where this information came from....otherwise I state thats its my opinion. Maybe you should go back and review my posts because I know I've always been careful to NOT state things as fact and to always make clear that these are my own thoughts....and YES...I am entitled to my own thoughts and I'm entiltled to share those thoughts in threads like this one. This is why we have threads to being with....to share our experiences with others and to try to answer questions that readers may have.

When you present a theory as fact, it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator
From what I can tell about those who are identified as "non-celiac gluten sensitive" by Enterolab....the vast majority do not have a resolution of symptoms after removing gluten. There is generally not steady improvement in this group of people....which account for the majority of those tested by Dr. Fine.

When you use phrases like this, you make it sound like this is a fact, when it

CarlaB Enthusiast
Again...I've said the same thing many times. Every person participating on the OMG thread allowed sufficient time on the gluten-free diet...and every single person on there is STILL gluten-free.

Yep.

The bottom line is that I think we agree on nearly everything

I was hoping you guys realized this.

We're all here for the SAME reason ... we all care whether others get well.

Mtndog Collaborator
Yep.

I was hoping you guys realized this.

We're all here for the SAME reason ... we all care whether others get well.

Agreed. I see nothing in the language of Rachel's posts that indicates she is claiming anything is a fact "I see" "i have observed" "I believe" are clearly opinion statements. I think it's time we let this go and move on to the main purpose of this thread and this board- helping one another.

There are no doctors here. Most of us speak from experience and when we can, research we have found (and even that needs to be evaluated).

debmidge Rising Star

Rachel has been posting in all areas prior to the OMG thread starting. She should not have to defend to anyone why she stopped posting activity in other areas - not posting doesn't mean a person isn't reading the other threads.

Additionally, I know that during her initial time of OMG thread Rachel was not well enough to post in other areas and didn't have the time to respond and develop other threads. This was a personal decision and in no way should be brought up as something negative against her. There's no shame in not having the time or energy - especially if you have take on defending your opinion (which Rachel knows and has been through this with me on other threads - to the point where we at times want to stop posting in areas other than ingredients and receipes).

The OMG thread is a good source of info for those who want to continue inquiry into the continuation of symptoms despite being gluten free.

Any newbie who is to the point of wanting to us Entrolab already has an idea that they have a health problem - anything negative said about Entrolab will probably not sway them.

I happen to feel that Entrolab is onto something but I would certainly feel better about them if their testing methods were documented officiallly.

Additionally, I am sure that newbies know by the wording and tone of this thread that there is mixed opinion about Entrolab so there's no reason to chide anyone for using quanititive words such as "vast majority" or "some" "few" .

Anyone who comes on this board knows that the responses in an thread such as this would be opinion and unless someone has an M.D. after their name the view should be taken with a "grain of salt." - even with an MD or nutritionist degree I wouldn't be so sure either :D

Her opinion of it being a "vast majority" is based on the number and type of responses on the OMG thread - this is rather loose data, but again of a lay person and again, only opinion.

little d Enthusiast

Hello all

NOW! Do we need to separate everybody :angry: OK everybody just take a deep breath, relax :rolleyes: and release :rolleyes: count to 10 if you need too. Let my daughter tell you a made up Knock Knock joke and laugh,

OK? OK!

Ok so anyway, I hope that it is not a scam, I didn't have time to read all the post because My daughter is home for the summer :rolleyes: which means the my time is her time if you know what I mean we have to share. But anyway only got to see a few and wow very heated. I hope that it is not a scam because I just ordered my test just the $99 one for just the sensitivy because low on funds husband will propably hit the roof when he acctually finds out, because I have a little snitch sitting right next to me waiting patiently to play games on the computer. So if this does not show anything of worth I will be really upset. I know it is not what the test reveals it is about the diet and how I respond to it that matters, but it is also my paranoia, obsessive, nature that just needs to know, and yes as you can tell I ate a piece of regular cake because it was there. No self control,

Ok so when I return there better no more fighting do ya'll here me ;)

Ok don't take my seriously just trying for a tension breaker :P:P:P

Later Donna

Rachel--24 Collaborator
NOW! Do we need to separate everybody :angry: OK everybody just take a deep breath, relax :rolleyes: and release :rolleyes: count to 10 if you need too. Let my daughter tell you a made up Knock Knock joke and laugh,

OK? OK!

Well sheeesh...I could have really used a knock-knock joke last night!! Where was your daughter when I needed her jokes!! :P

I hope that it is not a scam because I just ordered my test just the $99 one for just the sensitivy because low on funds husband will propably hit the roof when he acctually finds out

Donna,

I dont think anyone who's posted actually thinks Enterolab is a scam. I certainly dont think its a scam...I think he (Dr. Fine) really believes in the tests. We just dont know how valid they are at this point since he hasnt published yet. So yeah.....definately some mixed feelings here with regards to the tests...but I guess you probably caught on to that. :P

I think the tests can be useful but at this early stage in the development of stool testing....it shouldnt be considered diagnostic. I think people who are symptomatic should just go on the diet...regardless of Enterolab results. Get on the diet and go from there....its the best way to know for sure how much gluten is contributing to symptoms.

I also think if people havent started the diet and have still been consuming gluten....go ahead and get the bloodwork done so that there are no questions later on....get it out of the way...then get on the diet. Biopsy too if you feel its necessary.

This probably doesnt pertain to you (or most people seeking Enterolab testing)....but just thought I'd add that for any readers who might still be eating gluten. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Nancy,

I think you are interpreting my posts in a way that you choose to and not at all how I intended them to be interpreted.

If one person misunderstands or misinterprets another, does anyone really have the right to say that that person chose to misinterpret?

You both have valid points of view. You agree on many issues, and disagree on others. I don't think either of you intends disrespect towards the other, or towards anyone else. Maybe you just rub each other the wrong way?

Can't we all just continue learning about gluten intolerance and all the other issues without having to deal with exclusionary definitions? Dividing us into "celiac" and "non-celiac gluten-intolerant" doesn't get us anywhere, at least not until someone PROVES a tangible difference besides for biopsy results (which are too hit-and-miss to be a tangible difference).

We're all in the same Big Boat; some of us got here via different routes, and some of us will travel on to different destinations.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Dividing us into "celiac" and "non-celiac gluten-intolerant" doesn't get us anywhere, at least not until someone PROVES a tangible difference besides for biopsy results (which are too hit-and-miss to be a tangible difference).

I do believe that I'm non-Celiac gluten intolerant...as do my Dr.'s (ALL of them). I wasnt dividing anything....some people just happen to be non-celiac gluten intolerant. It really doesnt matter one way or the other with regards to the diet but people have every right to choose how they describe their intolerance.

Many people here choose to be labeled Celiac....I choose to be labeled non-celiac gluten intolerant. If there is nothing wrong with people choosing to call themselves Celiac based on diet results, Enterolab results, etc....then I have every right to choose to call myself non-celiac gluten intolerant...until someone PROVES that I have Celiac.

Its my choice. :)

There are plenty of other people here identifying themselves as non-celiac gluten intolerant...it has nothing to do with dividing us into groups. It is what it is...and its been this way since before I ever joined this board.

I'm just here with everyone else....it doesnt matter to me what people call themselves...and it shouldnt matter to anyone what I (or others) calls themselves. The controversy really seems to come from the fact that I'm saying gluten intolerance *can* come from other conditions....and some of us here fall into that category.

I didnt invent the term "non-celiac gluten intolerant"....I learned it here. Enterolab uses this term as well. From their site..

In these non-celiac, gluten sensitive individuals, the brunt of the immune reaction either affects the function of the intestine, causing symptoms without structural damage, affects other tissues of the body (and virtually all tissues have been affected in different individuals), or both.

And from this site (Celiac.com)..

Why some people get celiac Disease or become gluten sensitive is not well understood but certain factors are believed to include onset of puberty, pregnancy, stress, trauma or injury, surgery, viral or bacterial infections including those of the gut, medication induced gut injury or toxicity e.g. non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, etc., immune suppression or autoimmune diseases

This suggests that the conditions listed in my signature could very well be causing my non-celiac gluten intolerance...especially since I had NO problems with gluten or any other food prior to these other conditions. My Dr.'s say the intolerances can go away (not when its Celiac) when the issues are addressed and there is complete healing to the damaged intestines.

I guess I will find out when that time comes. Until then I'm non-celiac gluten intolerant until proven otherwise. :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
the conditions listed in my signature could very well be causing my non-celiac gluten intolerance...especially since I had NO problems with gluten or any other food prior to these other conditions. My Dr.'s say the intolerances can go away (not when its Celiac) when the issues are addressed and there is complete healing to the damaged intestines.

Just out of curiosity--do you consider your problems with gluten to have begun in 2003, when you had the radioactive iodine, or earlier?

little d Enthusiast

Rachel 24

She will defienatly make you lol :lol:

I did have the blood test and negative but I had been eating Gluten free for at least 3 month by that piont. and I had stopped before i had my scopes done, and those were negative as well. I am the type of person who dwells on evertything. so yes I hope that Enterolab is not a scam, In my opionion now this is just an opionion I don't want to open up another can of worms. Made that mistake with the View tread, but I think that in order to get all the facts about testing the "Doctor" or "Lab" responsible for all the testing that is done needs to have plenty of data to back them up WHEN THE TIME COMES WHEN they can present all of the facts to whoever whenever. The Medical community which I am a part of just a little part of I am just a Medical Assistant/Patient care Tech where I work and we are required to read these little papers that are so stupid at times that someone went out of their way to do research on there little paper. Has anyone contacted the Lab maybe they can do a tour (not that I would like so see poo everywhere), or ask to talk to the doctor about his test procedures, or get maybe 20/20 or some other worthy news show to go check it out. If they are reputable then it should be not a problem but they maybe a little protective because of all the HIPPA Laws here in Texas, but if they are hidding something well then we should look someplace else, but I don't think that is the case in my opinion. I hope that it is not because I just ordered my test because i need my validation for my symptoms. And you maybe the type of person who needs to see on paper that they are leigit and scamming you i can apprietate that.

Donna

Archived