10 replies to this topic

#1 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

Ok i know some of said u have to check for gluten in them. But i thought all i had to do was not use the first and last piece that has glue. But is that not the case. Do i have to use ones that are gluten free completely. And if yes, what types. Right now im using angel soft toilet paper and bounty paper towels.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

Toilet paper and paper towels are not issues regarding celiac.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

Most people say that you do not need to worry about paper products, but I figure as long as you're going to buy them you might as well buy them gluten free. Besides, to my son the paper rolls are occasionally used as telescopes and microphones! :lol: Here are gluten free products, according to the Clan Thompson software:

Paper Towels:
Viva
Bounty
Scott

Toilet Paper:
Charmin
Cottonelle

Facial Tissue:
Kleenex
Puffs

Napkins:
Vanity Fair
Zee
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:49 AM

As I understand it, the glue used to hold the paper to the cardboard tube is the only gluten issue.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:03 AM

Please do a search here for "toilet"paper" and you will get some very extensive information.
Lisa

#6 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for everyones responses. I will do an search later on today. I just had the thought and asked without looking. I try to search before i ask an question knowing it probably has been asked before, unless it is about something that only has 3 letters, and it seems most of my thoughts are words with 3 letters lol

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:35 AM

As I understand it, the glue used to hold the paper to the cardboard tube is the only gluten issue.

Long past there was a 17 page thread debating the fact that toilet paper had gluten. After contacting many companies and their response it was concluded that the "glue" that is used is modified corn starch and not gluten related.

The inside of the plastic bag containing the TP may be dusted with corn starch, also not gluten related.
Lisa

#8 DebNC84

DebNC84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:59 AM

Toilet paper and paper towels are not issues regarding celiac.

I know this is an old forum topic - but I'm newly into this.... I've been gluten free since June 07 - except for the occasional accidental "glutening"

I've been having a problem with a rash appearing around my mouth and nose - the culprit? I narrowed it down to my paper towels... occasionally I'll grab one blow my nose - and almost every day I use one atleast during a meal. May I add that I have Dermatitis Herpetiformus - on top of other celiac issues.

there may be one brand in particular that is causing the problem... but I don't know because honestly until now I've been randomly choosing my paper towels... unlike toilet paper, always buying Charmin Ultra. Now I guess I need to carry one of those little rolls of TP in my purse... this is getting deep for sure.

Gluten free since June 2007
symptoms relieved: thyroid condition, high cholesterol, rash, gut pain, joint pain, mood swings, migraines, chronic fatigue, facial acne, canker sores, hair loss

soy free since 2010 - menopausal  symptoms are nonexistent / facial acne culprit revealed

dairy free since May 2013 - less "puffy" - suspecting that I may be able to lose weight easier without the inflammation from the dairy.

#9 seamaiden399

seamaiden399

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

I know this is an old forum topic - but I'm newly into this.... I've been gluten free since June 07 - except for the occasional accidental "glutening"

I've been having a problem with a rash appearing around my mouth and nose - the culprit? I narrowed it down to my paper towels... occasionally I'll grab one blow my nose - and almost every day I use one atleast during a meal. May I add that I have Dermatitis Herpetiformus - on top of other celiac issues.

there may be one brand in particular that is causing the problem... but I don't know because honestly until now I've been randomly choosing my paper towels... unlike toilet paper, always buying Charmin Ultra. Now I guess I need to carry one of those little rolls of TP in my purse... this is getting deep for sure.

Beyond a possible gluten issue (which I am not personally convinced of), paper towels are quite abrasive. They may also contain dyes that you could have an allergy to. Most doctors that I've spoken to suggest that DH is not a topical issue- but rather that ingestion of gluten results in a DH attack. However, if it seems that paper towels are aggravating your skin, you could try using cloth napkins (and soft tissues for blowing your nose, which is nicer for you anyway)... If you cover your microwaved food with a paper towel and are concerned about it, saran wrap is an alternative.

-Brenda

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Beyond a possible gluten issue (which I am not personally convinced of), paper towels are quite abrasive. They may also contain dyes that you could have an allergy to. Most doctors that I've spoken to suggest that DH is not a topical issue- but rather that ingestion of gluten results in a DH attack. However, if it seems that paper towels are aggravating your skin, you could try using cloth napkins (and soft tissues for blowing your nose, which is nicer for you anyway)... If you cover your microwaved food with a paper towel and are concerned about it, saran wrap is an alternative.

-Brenda

I'm glad someone else has taken the time to research what will actually cause a gluten reaction! Good post, Brenda, and you are 100% correct about DH being an internally caused reaction. If someone is having a problem with paper towels and TP, then they most likely would also have a topical allergy to something in the product. It's an autoimmune response from within and not caused by a topical interaction with an offending agent.

If there are any doubters, I would urge them to have their blood work repeated to see if any gluten is getting into their system at levels that would cause a problem. I do not use gluten-free make-up, except lipstick, and do not use any precautions with paper or topical products unless it would be ingested. So far, my blood work has been stellar so how better to convince yourself?

#11 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

There ARE people here with DH who have reacted to lotions and/or bath oils with wheat and oats in them.

I know doctors say that this is not possible. But an awful lot of us have heard doctors tell us that it was not possible for our symptoms to be caused by anything we ate. They were wrong, then, too. In fact, doctors can be wrong about all kinds of things. Just because they're doctors doesn't make them right.

Anecdotal evidence might not be compelling to the doctors, but it certainly means something to those of us who know what we react to.

Tiny amounts of INGESTED gluten don't show up in blood work. So tiny amounts of gluten in a lotion isn't going to show up in blood work, either. A lot of us here know better than to rely on blood work to tell us whether or not we've eaten gluten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: