Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are Southern Comfort And Amaretto gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleZoe

LittleZoe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

A conversation about my birthday coming up in July brought my attention to the fact that I won't be able to just accept shots that people buy me anymore! Now I hardly ever drink but when I do and IF I want to do a shot (for my bday or someone elses etc.) I'd like to know some safe options! Sicilian Kiss is one of my favs and it has southern comfort and amaretto, are these gluten free?

Any other gluten-free mainstream named shots out there?
Gluten-free as of February 14, 2007
Casein/Lactose free since childhood

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 zachsmom

zachsmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

A conversation about my birthday coming up in July brought my attention to the fact that I won't be able to just accept shots that people buy me anymore! Now I hardly ever drink but when I do and IF I want to do a shot (for my bday or someone elses etc.) I'd like to know some safe options! Sicilian Kiss is one of my favs and it has southern comfort and amaretto, are these gluten free?

Any other gluten-free mainstream named shots out there?

ah some where in my mind southern comfort is whiskey..... which is made out of things that I think can make you sick. southern comfort is wiskey...

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

The Celiac Sprue Association has updated their recommendation. Gluten in removed during the distillation process. Any distilled liquor is considered gluten free. Some has added flavors and are not recommended.

With that said, everyone is different and some do react. On this sites home page you can find a list of safe liquors.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

The Amaretto (as long as it's Originale - old name was DiSarno) is gluten-free and they emailed me that info earlier this year.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: