This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Ensure Or Something/anything

cdfiance

cdfiance Explorer

Now that we seem to have figured out all of Alex

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Avocados and nuts! The latter are particularly easy to carry around all the time. Keep the calorie density up!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Ryan, it's perfectly normal for a woman to have amenhorria due to low body weight. I had another normal type of amenhorria due to breastfeeding. I had five kids in ten years and breastfed each for over a year. In that ten year time-period I only menstruated a few times, maybe ten.

I would be concerned for Alex's health, but I wouldn't worry about trying to gain weight fast enough to please the doctors. She'll be fine. Have her eat healthy and gain the weight back the right way. No need, IMHO, for a sugar-laden, nutrition lacking, drink.

Just focus on higher calorie foods. Like Tiffany said, dense calories. You don't want her filling up on stuff that has no calories -- like lettuce, etc.

Doctors are not well-versed on nutrition and want everyone to fit their mold.

dally099 Contributor

hi there, peanut butter, and avacodos, peanuts are very high in fat, not so much protein as everyone likes to believe but lots of fat. other than that she will probably put on weight when she is getting healthy again so patience. good luck :)

VydorScope Proficient

As long as she is gaining, I would not worry about how fast. There will come a time when you need her to stop gaining and that will be eaiser if she is gaining slowly rather rapiddly.

• 2 weeks later...
jvalentine89 Rookie

When I needed to gain weight I used to make smoothies which included any fruits (bananas, blueberries, etc.) mixed with juice or milk (or rice milk/soymilk) and 4 tbsp. of flax oil. It is very high calorie and an extremely efficient way to gain weight without feeling over-full.

• 1 month later...
Jemimabella Newbie

Hi,

I just wanted to say, I am also very underweight and have had a lot of complications with my celiac disease. I am taking Ensure and find it is helping me on the days when I really can't face food. It might be worth looking into as there are lots of flavours available and it is really easily digestible. I think you sound really supportive and I hope Alex feels better soon.

Take Care :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cherry Tart Apprentice

Hello! I agree w/ the other posters...the only thing that made me gain weight was avacados and peanut butter. My husband made me fresh guacamole and tortilla chips every day for two months....and I enjoyed every bit of it! ;) It was several months before I could eat a larger variety of foods....I just didn't have an appetite. It took about a year for me to gain the weigh back (and then some!) and start menstrating again. Now I feel the best I've ever felt! Not to worry, it will happen for her, just in her own time.

Hollylou42 Rookie

I'm not expert, and I do agree with the previous posters that the wieght will return to her body with time and the right diet. However to answer your question, since you asked, instead of buying a premixed protien shake like Ensure (that would have all those things you listed you didn't want in it) try a powder.

I know that they sell a high protein powder (that has added vitamins and such) in Lactose/soy free varities, I think it is a Rice protein they use. Then you can mix it up your self using Rice or Almond Milk or water ever liquid she drinks. I have seen it on the internet, but I haven't actually looked in the stores for it, but it would be worth a try.

I'm also very underweight (and I am not diagnosed yet so I keep eating gluten and keep losing weight) and I don't have much of an appetite but I eat a lot of snack bars, for example like Lara Bars. They are made with nuts and fruit so they help with my energy levels and have high levels of good fats. Just a thought, maybe find some bars that fit her needs, and then they are easy to carry yet don't fill you up.

I know if I were Alex, I would appreciate your concern and care. Keep it up and good luck!!

Ginsou Explorer
Ginsou Explorer

I've had lactose intolerance for 32 years, and also have just been diagnosed with celiac...have a lot to learn. Slim Fast has a new easy to digest product available that is lactose and gluten free. It doesn't seem to have soy in it, for those who might find soy a problem. Pacific Foods has a lactose/gluten free beverage that also does not have soy in it. www.pacificfoods.com. This product can be found in stores like Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc.

mother2gf3 Newbie

this may or may not help, I know that Wal Mart has a pediatric type drink similar to pediasure in their baby section next to the baby formula. It is the walmart brand I know it is gluten and lactose free but not sure if soy free, worth a look. Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
JNBunnie1 Community Regular
  • 2 weeks later...
home-based-mom Contributor

Try a product called "Benecalorie." It is available online and in some local pharmacies. Do a Google search and take your pick.

It may be just what you need. ;)

submarinerwife Newbie

My fav. drink and I have put on some weight with is coconut milk, a banana, peanut butter, chocolate syrup and some ice, run it through the blender, makes a yummy breakfast drink! I also agree to try gaining the weight gradually as it is much easier to slow it down that way. If you gain too fast you could start a whole new host of problems! Good luck and best wishes. The avacados are also great. You can make dip, put them on sandwiches (before I had to stop eating bacon I would put avacados on a blt!) my current favorite is a turkey sandwich with avacado slices.

Archived