This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Disney Question

Guest maddiesmom

Guest maddiesmom

Question about Disney Orlando.. we are going in October... how do I arrange for us to have gluten free meals... do I need to call ahead (if so how soon ahead) or can I tell them when we get there?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

It's always probably best to call ahead...there's a number on the Disney website. If I still have the bookmark at work I'll post it tomorrow if someone doesnt' beat me to it.

Having said that, I did NOT call ahead. :P We stayed at the Port Orlean's which only had a counter service food court. On my first day I noticed a little statement on their menu board that they could accommodate special diet, so I asked about that. They brought out the chef who went over everything they could make for me while we were there. They did a fantastic job with that, and the chef prepared my meals in the back personally to make sure there was no cross-contamination.

We ate several times there and some of the things I had were gluten/casein-free pancakes with gluten free bacon, and real maple syrup, and hamburger on gluten free bun. They could also have made gluten-free pasta, brownies, etc. with advanced notice. I think they could probably do pizza too.

Inside the park I mostly ate the fresh fruit and turkey legs...one time though, I did eat at a burger place, and the counter person was very helpful at making sure my patty didn't touch any surface which had been touched by a bun. They frys were cooked in a dedicate fryer.;

gfmolly Contributor

I went to Disney three days after going gluten-free....it was the easiest place to do it!! There is a passporter's book for Disney for Special Needs that lists some good restaurants to try. I ate at the Garden Grill in Epcot and actually got to eat gluten-free rolls and a chocolate dessert! The other place that was totally accomodating was Liberty Tree Tavern. At both restaurants the chefs came out and spoke with me about what my needs were. It was great!

Terri

dlp252 Apprentice

I deleted my bookmark. :(

I did find this on their website:

"Can my special dietary needs be accommodated at restaurants at the Disneyland

Lola B Rookie

The recent issue of Living Without magazine contains an article about gluten free dining at Disneyland and Disney World.

Guest maddiesmom

Thanks for all your advice and help... do they charge anymore for gluten free foods?

dlp252 Apprentice
Thanks for all your advice and help... do they charge anymore for gluten free foods?

They did not charge me more. My food DID take longer to prepare though, but I was not charged extra for it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dionnek Enthusiast

Where are yoiu staying? We went last October and it was so wonderful (my first trip gluten-free) that I did not want to come home, ever! We stayed at the Pop Century, which only had food court (not sit down) food, but they were incredible. You just need to talk to the head chef/manager on duty when you are getting ready to eat - ask anyone at any of the counters - tell them you have celiac and need to eat gluten free, and the head chef will come out and tell you everything yoiu can have (and there is a lot of choices - the gluten-free pancakes and pizza are incredible!). They charged me the children's meal prices, even though I got more food than the regular adult size meals! My husband was so jealous when he saw my pizza compared to his greasy plain cheese pizza :)

I did tell them I needed gluten free when I made my hotel reservations, and they made a note of it. Also, if you know where you are going to eat ahead of time, call and tell them you need gluten free - sometimes the chef will actually call you back and go over different options. This just helps so that they can make sure they have what you want. It isn't necessary though, as all their chefs are trained on gluten free and can make you something even without notice. Have fun!

Guest maddiesmom

We are also staying at Pop Century so I feel alot better now knowing you had a great experience! Any recommedations on other places to eat.. this is our first time. Thanks

pedro Explorer

Hi I am going to Disney World in three weeks, and the entire family is gluten-free. I've been to Disney before, and every where in all the parks and restaurants they will accommodate the gluten-free diet. When we made the reservations this time we included the reservations for the different restaurants around the parks, and all of them offer gluten-free foods. We don't have to worry about food. I cannot wait.

Have lots of fun, enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Best regards

Guest maddiesmom

I hope all of you have fun at Disney... and have safe meals also! Please let me know how it went... I am still a little nervous.. I just don't want my daughter to get glutened and be miserable her first time there!

Have fun!!!

Archived