This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice/corn Allergy

whitball

whitball Explorer

I have had problems with corn and rice flour. I have very little experience with the variety of flours available and do not know which combinations work. My work involves lots of driving and I cover two counties in Michigan. Eating out has turned out the be a bad thing for me. I eat many meals in my car and have found that pancakes are very easy to snack on. Are there any suggestions for a good pancake mix?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'd get a bag of Bob's Red Mill amaranth flour and use the recipe on there - as I recall, it's entirely amaranth flour.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't have the bag nearby, but I've seen recipe for pancakes on the back of a package of Bob's coconut flour. I don't remember it containing any corn or rice.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

You could mix potato flour and sorghum....that would work....

Our pancakes are:

1 cup flour (do 1/2 potato flour - not starch - and half sorghum)

2 tsp baking powder

1 Tbs sugar

pinch salt

1 egg, beaten

1 cup milk

2 Tbs oil

Mix the dry. mix the wet. Pour wet into dry.

I'm sure you could try quinoa flour too, that might work.

We mixed rice & sorghum this week and they were great....a little more dense, but so tasty.

whitball Explorer

thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try them!

corinne Apprentice

This might not be what you're looking for, but I can't eat any grains at all. For pancakes, I put 2 ripe bananas in the blender with 2 eggs then pour into a hot oiled pan. I cook the batter slowly over low heat until solid enough to turn. It takes a bit of practice to get the cooking down, but they taste good.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've seen recipes for buckwheat pancakes (it's not even a grain really), though I have not tried them. Besides the sorghum already mentioned, there's millet flour, and tapioca flour may work in combination with these or other flours. I'm sure there are other which may work well too.

Something else which make for great road snacks are muffins. The same flours can be used there as well. Soy flour adds a nice moistness and texture to muffins.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

Buckwheat flour pancakes are SOOO good! I make them all the time. Especially if you pre mix the dry ingredients and then add the wet ones when your'e ready to make them, like early in the morning before work, school, etc. They are really good and for a treat I add "Enjoy Life's" chocolate chips which are free of just about every allergen. Oh, the recipe is on the back of most buckwheat flour boxes.

Kassandra

Blue Newbie

Here are some I found surfing the net one day. I became addicted to the plain peanut butter recipe, using gluten-free strawberry fruit spread for dipping.

PLAIN NUT BUTTER PANCAKES

by Caroline

1 tablespoon nut butter

1 whole egg

2 egg yolks

dash of baking soda

Whisk ingredients together until batter is thick but still runny. Fry in buttered skillet as you would conventional pancakes.

PLAIN PEANUT BUTTER PANCAKES

by Carol

1 egg, well beaten

1 rounded tablespoon peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)

1 pinch of baking soda

1 pat butter

Beat egg every well.

Add peanut butter and baking soda and stir until blended.

Heat a six inch skillet and add butter swirling it around the edges of the pan.

Pour batter into pan, moving pan so batter distributes evenly.

Turn heat down to medium.

When pancake is set, carefully turn with spatula.

Turn off heat.

Cook until pancake can easily be removed.

Top with honey.

BANANA PEANUT BUTTER PANCAKES (if you can tolerate some fruit)

by Sheila

1 ripe banana

1/4 cup peanut butter

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix all ingredients with a mixer. Spoon into hot buttered skillet and brown on both sides

Tip: Small pancakes are easier to turn.

SNEAKY VEGGIE PANCAKES

by Angie

4 eggs

1 cup squash (or any other pureed vegetable)

1 tsp Cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

1 TBL melted coconut oil

Mix all ingredients well and prepare as pancakes.

Kellygirl Rookie

4 eggs

1 tsp Cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

1 TBL melted coconut oil

Blue Newbie
4 eggs

1 tsp Cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

1 TBL melted coconut oil

This recipe works really well with baby food instead of the pureed vegetables. Just thought I would share that. Blueberries and sweetpotatoes are good. You can also use Nutmeg instead of cinnamon.

Be creative, sometimes it sounds aweful and tastes GREAT!

Kelly

That sounds like it would be fantastic with apples, cherries or strawberries :D

whitball Explorer

These sound pretty good. I love peanut butter and squash. Thank you!

Mini Newbie
I have had problems with corn and rice flour. I have very little experience with the variety of flours available and do not know which combinations work. My work involves lots of driving and I cover two counties in Michigan. Eating out has turned out the be a bad thing for me. I eat many meals in my car and have found that pancakes are very easy to snack on. Are there any suggestions for a good pancake mix?

TEFF!! Teff flour makes THE best pancakes. And it's such a healthy flour too :)

Use mostly teff flour, and a a bit of arrowroot or tapicoa starch, then add in the other usual suspects (salt, baking powder, eggs, milk, cinnamon, etc). I like to add a scoop of pumpkin myself! I've never gone wrong with this - and I just sort of throw them together, no recipe required. oh, and the best one's I've made? I added the pumpkin and some chocolate chips....HEAVEN!

Nathan's mom Apprentice
TEFF!! Teff flour makes THE best pancakes. And it's such a healthy flour too :)

Use mostly teff flour, and a a bit of arrowroot or tapicoa starch, then add in the other usual suspects (salt, baking powder, eggs, milk, cinnamon, etc). I like to add a scoop of pumpkin myself! I've never gone wrong with this - and I just sort of throw them together, no recipe required. oh, and the best one's I've made? I added the pumpkin and some chocolate chips....HEAVEN!

Dittos for Teff. I'm in love with it now. I like Millet or Teff or a combination. Teff is also great for bread, etc. I recently made some rice/millet pancakes that were not as thick as they should have been and seemed to deflate as soon as I got them off the grill. I added some Teff to the last half of the mix (enough to thicken it up a bit) and voila! It was a completely different and wonderful pancake. As far as I know, millet and teff are in the same family. Teff is a really small seed so make sure what you are buying is flour if you don't have a mill. Bob's Red Mill sells the teff flour but it is expensive. If you can latch on to a co-op that gets free shipping on stuff and buys from Azure, they sell teff seed and flour in more bulk sizes. I guess you could call Azure and see if there is a group in your area?

Dianne W. Rookie
You could mix potato flour and sorghum....that would work....

Our pancakes are:

1 cup flour (do 1/2 potato flour - not starch - and half sorghum)

2 tsp baking powder

1 Tbs sugar

pinch salt

1 egg, beaten

1 cup milk

2 Tbs oil

Mix the dry. mix the wet. Pour wet into dry.

I'm sure you could try quinoa flour too, that might work.

We mixed rice & sorghum this week and they were great....a little more dense, but so tasty.

I too am looking for pancake recipes free of rice/corn. I will try this one tomorrow. But I have to also avoid milk and egg at this point.

Have you ever used substitutes for the egg and milk as well? If I use the Ener-G egg replacer and an applesauce/apple juice combo instead of the milk, do you think I should add xanthan gum to help them stay together? If so, how much xanthan gum for the 1 cup of flour?

Thanks!! Dianne

Archived