2 replies to this topic

#1 once and again

once and again

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

I was diagnosed with celiac as an infant - back in the late '40s. My parents were told that I would grow out of it. As I understand it, the connection to gluten wasn't really made until the 50's. As a child I don't remember having any problems. Nor did I have any as a teenager, young adult or until recently. It seems as if it was in remission for 50 years! I have never really liked bread. Did not like pasta or pizza very much. Ate very small portions of those. Preferred corn tortillas to flour.....

Two years ago I started having stomach problems, bloating, gas, but not the diarrhea I had as an infant. In additon to to stomach problems I started breaking out in a rash all over my body. Never thought of it as celiac related. Was referred to an allergist who put me on Zyrtec. That controlled the rash, but I was always hungry. I attributed it to the medication and kept trying to wean myself. I could be off for about 3 - 3 1/2 weeks and the rash would be back. Burning, itching... Went back to the allergist after a year. Saw someone new and mentioned that I had celiac as a child, but didn't know if it was a correct diagnosis bucause I did eat wheat products. After a blood test came back 10X higher than normal, I was referred to a gastrenterologist and diagnosed by endoscopy at stage 3 this March.

Has anyone ever heard of celiac going away?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:56 PM

celiac does not ever go away, but some people find - particularly during adolescents - don't experience much in the way of symptoms, even though damage is being done. many people can be asymptomatic for lengths of time, but it doesn't mean that they are in remission - as demonstrated by your antibody levels.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Guest_madissoninva1_*

Guest_madissoninva1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:46 AM

I can completely understand how you feel. I was diagnosed with celiac when I was an infant (1970) but there was not blood test then, or at least none was given to me. My doctor said that I would grow out of it and I began eating wheat again around the age of 6 or 7. I am now 34 and the symptoms just returned last year. I, unlike you, loved bread and pizza so I was consuming a lot of gluten. My blood tests show that I am "highly allergic" now. I wish my doctor had known better back then. Think of all the damage we have done over the years! I haven't had the biopsy done yet...just the blood test...so I'm not sure exactly how much damage...not sure I WANT to know. Well, at least I enjoyed pizza for a few years...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: