This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are Systems Of Gluten Intolerance?

deannalvivian

deannalvivian Newbie

HI...my baby just turned 8 months old. I have been feeding her organic oatmeal and rice cereal along with her pre-diagested formula. About 6 weeks ago, she started with a red spot close to the bottom of her cheek. It got better with lotion, then worse. The doctor told me she was probably allergic to her food. Since then, it has gotten worse! Today, when I tried Baby Museli which is wheat, rye and barley, she really broke out into almost little blisters. Her whole face looked like the blood was coming out of her pores. Next meal I went back to giving her rice cereal. By night, her checks were still rosy and the main red spot was still there but the worst was gone. I feel she has a gluten intolerance but not sure. What should I be feeding an eight month old baby that breaks out like this? I haven't started fruits or veggies yet because I wanted to clear up this rash that just seems to be getting worse. she feel good in every other aspect. No diarrhea or anything. PLEASE HELP!

-Deanna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

I would give her the veggies and skip the cereal ~ start with veggies first, and then add fruits if she tolerates the veggies okay. You know they are gluten free, so it would answer some questions for you. My babies never liked cereal anyway! Do you use any bath soaps and lotions with perfume, etc.? My daughter can not tolerate any soap or perfume items. I use Johnsons baby bath because it is soap free ~ and also use Eucerine (sp?) cream on her to help heal her patches. Her reaction is from dry skin ~ eczema. Sounds just like the patches you are talking about though. Good luck!!

stomica Rookie

Just a general question since you're both talking about skin reactions...can celiac cause eczema? My daughter has it, mostly around her mouth, and it seems to be getting worse. We haven't gone gluten-free yet because the ped gi wanted to retest her bloodwork...her igA's and igG's were elevated but the other two were negative. Anyway, just curious! Thanks!

Sue

Guest gfinnebraska

My daughter doesn't have celiac ~ I do ~ but she is adopted from Korea. She is thankful that it is more than likely not in her future! Being Asian, she just has very dry skin. She gets eczema patches as soon as the weather turn cooler and the humidity leaves the air. Like now! Her skin takes constant lotion & a humidifier in her room. :) As far as I know, there isn't a link between eczema & celiac.

Archived