16 replies to this topic

#1 iluvfupa

iluvfupa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

After searching for gluten-free beers (redbridge and new grist did not appeal to my palate) I have noticed there is no set consensus on whether or not regular Budweiser contains gluten.

My question is does anyone here drink it or have experiences with drinking it after being gluten free? I am really interested in if anyone has experienced a positive or negative biopsy after regularly consuming Budweiser.

Edit:
This article explains the confusion on whether or not rice based beer that contains barley is gluten-free.
http://www.celiac.co...ml?p_prodid=413

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Generic

Generic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:03 PM

I believe they make it with malt there fore it has gluten in it. I wouldn't touch it.

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

This is from Wikipedia

Budweiser is brewed using rice, barley malt, water, hops and yeast.

Regular Budweiser is not gluten-free.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

The only people that drink it are the ones who want to get sick, are misinformed or do not understand the fermentation process of beer.

Don't drink it...

#5 iluvfupa

iluvfupa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

This is from Wikipedia
Regular Budweiser is not gluten-free.

Yes, but vodka is usually made from grain yet is gluten free since it is distilled; they are saying the brewing process breaks down the barley and gluten in to peptides which may or may not be gluten free.

This is from http://www.celiac.co...ml?p_prodid=413

"It is not proved beyond any doubt that the peptides in beer are actually toxic to celiac patients, but it is quite possible that the peptides remaining in any barley-based or wheat-based beer, Sapporo included, are harmful to celiac patients. "

#6 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

Yup, sure wouldn't drink it! Even if you don't have noticable symptoms after drinking it you could still be doing villi damage! I wouldn't chance my health on a beer!

#7 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Yes, but vodka is usually made from grain yet is gluten free since it is distilled; they are saying the brewing process breaks down the barley and gluten in to peptides which may or may not be gluten free.

This is from http://www.celiac.co...ml?p_prodid=413

"It is not proved beyond any doubt that the peptides in beer are actually toxic to celiac patients, but it is quite possible that the peptides remaining in any barley-based or wheat-based beer, Sapporo included, are harmful to celiac patients. "

Vodka is made with wheat or barley gluten? I thought vodka was either rice based or potato based.
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#8 iluvfupa

iluvfupa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

Vodka is made with wheat or barley gluten? I thought vodka was either rice based or potato based.

Some are made from potatoes; not sure about rice but I am sure there are. Alot are made from wheat, Absolute says so right on the bottle. I believe Grey Goose is wheat too.

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

There is a list of safe products...click on the site index and scroll down.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Yes, some vodka's are ok! just check the bottle...if you go to a bar, as long as they are not packed most bartenders will let you check the bottle.

Prior to going gluten free...i drank Bud Light and I had symptoms the whole next day!!! Not fun!

#11 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

This site has vodka on the safe list...I believe b/c it's been distilled!

#12 iluvfupa

iluvfupa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

Even if you don't have noticable symptoms after drinking it you could still be doing villi damage! I wouldn't chance my health on a beer!

Yep I agree, that is why am asking if anyone has any experience with it :)

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:05 AM

Yep I agree, that is why am asking if anyone has any experience with it :)

The issue is not just GI symptoms. If you are determined to drink this stuff you may want to try an experiment. Note please I am not reccommending that any confirmed celiac do this Get yourself a six pack of gluten-free beer and a six pack of Bud. One night drink the Bud and note how many drinks it takes to put you out of it, once you recover from your 'hangover' do the same thing with the gluten-free beer. Chances are you will find that you get much 'drunker' much faster and have a worse hangover with the Bud. What you will be seeing is the neurological effects and the toxicity that this has on your body. While your GI systems may not yell at you I can guarentee that your brain, pancreas, your liver, your gall bladder and other systems are going to be telling you not to do it again.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:17 AM

It is not safe to drink.

Why would companies make gluten free beers if 'normal' beers were safe ;)

#15 little_c

little_c

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:57 AM

I have one word for regular Bud or any other regular beer...POISON.

Re: vodka... vodka's made from many different sources. Potatoes, corn, wheat. I know that the distilling process is supposed to get rid of the gluten, but to be on the safe side I'm sticking with either potato or corn based vodkas from now on. Usually the vodka labels will say what it's made from. As for flavored vodkas, that's another story. Just like anything else, you either have to check the label or contact the manufacturer to find out if the flavoring is gluten-free.
little_c

If you scrutinize, you won't be glutenized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: