Nancym

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

http://renegadeneuro...se-of-migraines

Excerpt:

“Our results suggest that a significant proportion of patients with migraine may have celiac disease,” Gabrielli and colleagues write in the March issue of The American Journal of Gastroenterology. The cause of celiac disease is sensitivity to gluten. Gluten is the protein in grains that lets bread rise. A gluten-free diet cures the disease. Could it cure migraine? Of the 90 migraine patients in the study, four had previously undiagnosed celiac disease. All four went on a gluten-free diet. It cured migraines in one patient. The other three had fewer headaches — and when they got migraines they were shorter and less intense. This might have been the famous placebo effect. But Gabrielli’s team used SPECT scans to look at the patients’ brains blood flow. The gluten-free diet improved blood flow in the brains of all four patients. If larger trials confirm these preliminary findings, the researchers suggest, people with migraines should be tested for celiac disease. For those found to have the problem, it may be a cause of their migraines and a gluten-free diet could help — or even cure — them.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

Interesting Nancy. I know another Celiac person whose first and main symptom is a migraine that can last for days.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 grey

grey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:44 PM

My migraines are one of major health problems & one of the things my doctor was thinking about when she ran the batch of tests on me that caught the high ttg. I'm on daily prventatives and take triptans for the actual migraines. W/o meds, I had a migraine nearly daily, now, it varies, but I'm familiar with the 4-dayers!

They are definately worse when I have eaten a lot of gluten. I have positive tTG & scalloping on the duodenum on the biopsy - still waiting on the final results, but signs point to celiac. I'm just started the gluten-free, I'll let people know if they improve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: