12 replies to this topic

#1 Willow5

Willow5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

Am getting ready to get a bread machine, Am considering eather the Kitchen Aid or the Bosch Bread Mixer. Any input would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Abbygail

Abbygail

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

Am getting ready to get a bread machine, Am considering eather the Kitchen Aid or the Bosch Bread Mixer. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't know anything about the Bosch bread machine, but I have a Kitchen Aid with the gluten-free setting and it makes really good bread. There are quite a few posts on this board regarding the Kitchen Aid machine and some very good bread recipes as well.

Hope this helps. :D

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

I don't know anything about Bosch bread machines but I have a Bosch Universal (mixer/blender) and love it.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 Willow5

Willow5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

I don't know anything about Bosch bread machines but I have a Bosch Universal (mixer/blender) and love it.

I think that the Bosch universal mixer/blender is what I am looking into getting. It has a bread mixer on one side and a blender on the other side. My mother used this for her wheat bread and I wondered how it would do with the gluten-free bread.

#5 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

I think that the Bosch universal mixer/blender is what I am looking into getting. It has a bread mixer on one side and a blender on the other side. My mother used this for her wheat bread and I wondered how it would do with the gluten-free bread.

I love it! I make 3 loaves at a time. It does just fine. I've tried making 6 gluten-free loaves but it came to the top almost. Trying to save on the frequency of which I make bread. The whole family is gluten free so we go through a lot of bread.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#6 Willow5

Willow5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Andrea, I have a large family too... so I end up making lots of bread! Three of us seem to do better gluten-free so we just do everyone gluten-free to simplify things. Thanks for the input - I am putting the Bosch Machine on the top of my wish list :rolleyes:
Nan

-Anti Gliadin Ab IgG 39 Spring 2006, positive improvement to gluten-free diet, past possible symptoms of thyroid, miscariges, heart palpitations
-Enterolab results Anti-gliadin 8, Tissue transglut 5, Genes 2,7

-husband genes 8,6
-Son age 11 postive enterolab results, high Gliadin AB IgG. Encopresis (soiling) Genes 2,8
-Daughter age 3 Chronic Constipation, eczema, clears up on gluten-free.
-Three children no symptoms, not tested
-Mother positive in Tissue Transglut Antibody, IgA Fall 2006

#7 bzmomof3

bzmomof3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

I love my Bosch. I don't think I could do without it. My mom has had a Bosch for as long as I can remember and she is the bread "Queen".

Since I'm new to celiac I haven't taken the time to experiment with gluten free bread. But I can't see why it wouldn't work. I use my Bosch for mixing, chopping, blending, food processor, everything. Absolutely love it!

#8 Mary Fry

Mary Fry

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

I love it! I make 3 loaves at a time. It does just fine. I've tried making 6 gluten-free loaves but it came to the top almost. Trying to save on the frequency of which I make bread. The whole family is gluten free so we go through a lot of bread.

How do you modify it to make gluten free breads? I have one too LOVE IT but will need to learn what to look for in the finished texture of the bread vs what i've learned on the gluten breads we make and love.

Do you mix it less than 8 minutes, speed 1? Any suggestions here is welcomed ......love some of your receipies you make in your bosch too. I called the center in AZ where I bought mine but they couldn't tell me anything about Gluten Free bread making.....what a shame!!
Mary

#9 lindajeaninsc

lindajeaninsc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hi,

I have had the small Bosch for 26 years. (This is the one that can make 3 loaves, not 5) Before Celiac, I used it to make 2 or 3 loaves of whole wheat bread every week for my family. I still use it to shred vegetables for slaw or pickle relish, stir muffin batter, everything. It is the best purchase I ever made for my kitchen!

I have used it to make gluten free bread for myself since the diagnosis. I had several loaves that disappointed me and believe I've figured it out. The last loaf I made using Betty Hagman's sorghum flour blend (without bean flour) and it did fine. I even took sandwiches to work with the bread I made.

The cookbook, Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread, has instructions for mixer breads and that is what I used. Because the Bosch is so powerful, don't beat the bread batter for 3 1/2 or 4 minutes. Just beat for 3 minutes and use the 3 not the 4 setting.

Good luck

Linda
Linda Jean
in Greenville, SC, USA

#10 imsohungry

imsohungry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

Hi Mary and Linda! :)

Welcome to the boards...sorry I can't answer your questions, I don't own a Bosch. But I thought I would welcome you!

Happy baking. -Julie ;)
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

#11 HiDee

HiDee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:19 AM

I grew up with a Bosch, my mom's lasted forever, so that's what I got when I got married. However, my sister-in-law grew up with a KitchenAid and didn't like her Bosch as a result. She ended up selling it and getting a KitchenAid. So, I think it's really what you are used to. I have the Bosch universal mixer/blender combo machine. It's great! It comes with the blender and food processor (I love that one), the mixing bowl, a dough hook and wire whisk mixing attachments so I bought the cookie paddle mixing attachments separately and I think they work a little better for gluten-free bread making than the dough hook since gluten free dough is so much stickier. I don't generally mix dough for a full 4 minutes, maybe 3 max and usually more like 2 minutes on medium speed and that has been just fine for me.
Good luck!

#12 Beth in NC

Beth in NC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

I have a Bosch and have always used it for Whole Wheat bread until recently diagnosed. I was concerned about CC with it though. None of you have had that problem?

#13 HiDee

HiDee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

I have a Bosch and have always used it for Whole Wheat bread until recently diagnosed. I was concerned about CC with it though. None of you have had that problem?

I just cleaned mine really well (the bowl, all attachments and base unit) when we started the diet. We didn't have any problems with it. I have the plastic bowl and I think you'd be fine with just cleaning it really well, it's not like a teflon pan or wooden cutting board where gluten can seep into the pores. If you're concerned about stuff that may have gotten into the center shaft of the bowl, you can actually replace that part, or just buy a new bowl.
Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: