This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Done With Amy's

Piccolo

Piccolo Apprentice

:o I am done with Amy's. I learned my lesson. On Tuesday I ate one dinner. All seemed fine. On Friday I got so dizzy at work my husband had to come and pick me up. I sure don't want to go through that again. I've heard others say they have trouble with Amy's. My symptoms last about 6 hours. I feel better after a good nights sleep. :P Thanks for letting me vent.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I don't do Amy's anymore either - get sick every time...... :angry:

oceangirl Collaborator
I don't do Amy's anymore either - get sick every time...... :angry:

I never have Amy's anymore as well. Actually, nothing beats cooking whole foods yourself!

lisa

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I am another anti Amys now. I loved her foods, so easy, quick and good. But then I got sick too many times and I just said forget it, it isnt worth it. It was nice to have good frozen foods, but oh well.. gotta cook still

confused Community Regular

Im glad i never tried amys from everyones post here. I never thought there food looked good to begin with lol

paula

Ashley Enthusiast

I've only eaten one kind of her meals and its the gluten free mac and cheese. I haven't had a problem with it. I react severely to gluten so I know even if I got the slightest bit. But, after all these problems Celiacs are having, I'm thinking not eating her meals anymore.

-Ash

JennyC Enthusiast

What about the boxed mac & cheese?! It's not that great but my son likes it, and it's nice to make in a pinch!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karen B. Explorer

Curious. I eat Amy's all the time and I've never had a problem. I really enjoy the cheese enchiladas, black bean enchiladas, lasgna and mac-n-cheese. Their pizza is great too. I haven't tried the Indian food yet but I've never had a gluten problem with any of the items listed. I eat Amy's at least 2-3 times a week.

My favorite quick dinner for Hubby and me is the Amy's cheese enchiladas and the Lundgram Farms Sante Fe Rice.

dragonmom Apprentice
<_< I've never had a problem with Amy's , I like the frozen pizza with all kinds of my own stuff on it. I've had a few of the other frozen things too, a nice warm quick meal. This is when a quick gluten test would come in handy.
Karen B. Explorer
<_< I've never had a problem with Amy's , I like the frozen pizza with all kinds of my own stuff on it. I've had a few of the other frozen things too, a nice warm quick meal. This is when a quick gluten test would come in handy.

That's what I usually do with the pizza, add more stuff. Amy's may be vegatarian, but I like pepperoni. :-)

kbtoyssni Contributor

I've read a lot of posts about Amy's being contaminated. I'm not willing to risk it!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Wow - - I eat the Amy's Rice Crust Pizza w/ Cheese about two or three times a month - pile things on top of it - - no problems ever! Wonder what this is? :huh:

grey Explorer

The Amy's web site says:

"Amy

little d Enthusiast

Hi

the only one i really like is the Black eye pea dinner. Ya'll also have to remember that it says on the back of the box factory still processes wheat peanuts and other stuff and only just a few only say Gluten free or no glutne ingrediants.

Donna

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I've always eaten Amy's gluten-free stuff, but I don't react as easily as everyone else, it takes a lot of gluten for me to have a reaction, so I wouldn't be able to say it's all safe. Maybe there's something wierd about the areas this stuff is being produced? Does Am'ys have more than one plant?

hez Enthusiast

It is my understanding the the cheese pizza and mac and cheese are now made in a dedicated facility. However, it was last year (or about) when they told me that.

Hez

little d Enthusiast

Hi

It could be the tofu that is in the meals, I know that i react to tofu

Donna

DarkIvy Explorer

Wow... I keep hearing two totally different things about Amy's. I've been a little wary of pre-prepared foods in general, but I keep a few of the Amy's meals around for when I don't have time to cook or when I need to bring along something that I can eat to a friend's house. I think I'm pretty sensetive to gluten but haven't reacted to anything from Amy's at all. To me it seems that the company is at least being responsible and education about gluten intolerance/celiac and like they're doing a lot to keep their gluten free foods safe for us.

On the other hand, there was this energy bar that I bought that had a warning on it very similar to Amy's, something to the effect of "made in a facility that processes wheat, nuts, soy, etc." and I reacted to THAT within twenty minutes. I don't have issues with soy or dairy (that I'm aware of, but I haven't noticed anything) so I don't think it was that.

I'm sorry so many people have been having issues with Amy's. It's one of the few gluten free convenience foods around :/ It makes me a bit more wary of eating it, too, though I suppose I'll keep on eating it until I myself notice something wrong with it.

AkBravo34 Rookie

I used to eat Amy's a lot, loved the pizza and the burrito thingies..but I got sick a few times off of it and now I just don't trust them anymore...I've heard mixed reviews about each so I think it's a personal decision, much like so many other products. I like that Amy's tries to be gluten free, I wish more companies would, but it just didn't work for me in the long run!

• 4 years later...
rewham Newbie

I've been eating Amy's gluten-free enchiladas for a couple of weeks without any problems. However, I'm pretty sure I was "glutened" earlier this week. The only thing I can point to is the Amy's I had for lunch. I've only been gluten-free for about 4 months so am still getting use to what is normal and what is not. I'm wondering if I am being paranoid. My symptoms weren't severe- a little bloated and extreme fatigue. Then a few days later some mild stomach problems. How can I know for sure when I've been glutened? Is there some kind of test that I can do? Or would I know for sure?

sa1937 Community Regular

Please note that you are replying to an almost 5-year old thread and some info may no longer be accurate (I didn't go back and read the whole thing).

Since you're fairly new to gluten-free eating, your best bet will be foods you prepare yourself but then I am not fond of processed foods in general.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I've been eating Amy's gluten-free enchiladas for a couple of weeks without any problems. However, I'm pretty sure I was "glutened" earlier this week. The only thing I can point to is the Amy's I had for lunch. I've only been gluten-free for about 4 months so am still getting use to what is normal and what is not. I'm wondering if I am being paranoid. My symptoms weren't severe- a little bloated and extreme fatigue. Then a few days later some mild stomach problems. How can I know for sure when I've been glutened? Is there some kind of test that I can do? Or would I know for sure?

If you still have the box call them and let them know. They will test the batch and let you know the results...

plumbago Experienced

A couple days ago, someone posted on the DC Celiac list and then linked to her blog, that she had gotten cc'ed by Amy's tamales verdes (also a favorite of mine). As what she labelled proof, she posted a photo of herself with the gluten belly. I will probably heed her (and others') warning about Amy's and not purchase it anymore. It would be good if they could expand into a dedicated gluten-free kitchen.

Plumbago

birdie22 Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread recently resurfaced but I find it interesting. I had Amy's veggie lentil soup for lunch today. First time having it. I had 1/2 a can along side a turkey sandwich w/ hellmans on Udi's bread. I've had plenty such sandwiches over the past 3mo of being gluten-free. I'm the only one who uses the mayo so I know there's no cc. About 30min after lunch I was enormously bloated. 90min after lunch I had loose stool and a few waves of chills. I took of pic of my stomach with my cell to show my doc at my next appt since she's never seen my bloatedness before. The soup has no gluten ingredients but the standard "shared facility" statement on many Amy's products. I'm not diagnosed celiac (blood test neg) and I haven't yet considered myself real sensitive. But the only thing that stands out for me was the Amy's soup.

ETA: I've had Amy's mac n cheese (dried mix) several times with no problems.

1138 Newbie

I have stayed clear of Amy's as well. It's funny I used to buy that brand before I knew I had Celiac because I liked the food. I had issues with it once I changed my diet. I emailed them and they said they take it very seriously and test between runs to make sure it is safe. Well it's not working very well. Most people with Gluten issues have complained. A year later I did try one of their rice dishes and it seemed ok but I still don't trust them. I can't afford to risk it so I just avoid it.

Archived