This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Im New!

Guest Clo-Jay

Guest Clo-Jay

hi! wow im glad im not the only one with celiac because it sure does feel like it sometimes.

im 15 and was told i had celiac disease last october after being quite sick for a while, i was very anemic and had liver problems and then i had to have loads of blood tests and i biopsy on my duodenum and then they told me i had celiac disease :(

its hard. i still dont cope with it very well, i miss a lot of foods.

i want to get a book or something, i want some recepies lol

anyway, not quite sure if im doing the right thing here, or if anyone will even see this but thanks if you did!

love

Chloe

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Welcome! This website will help you wonderfully! We have lots of "seasoned pros" and then people like me who are finding out the hard way how things are.

This site will give you reciepies and book suggestions! Just keep reading and you will find more than you ever wanted to know about Celiac!

pedro Explorer

Welcome hoem. This is the best place to learn, cry and receive support.

For you first steps try to keep everything simple. Fresh vegetables, fresh meat, fish, and then start adding others foods aslong they are gluten free. One member has a great list of products that you can eat. Her name is NoGluGirl. She can post the list for you.

Here you will find so much help and please ask as many questions as you need. This is the place you can feel relax.

Hope you feel better. I know is overwhelming at first, but it will get easier.

Best regards.

Guest j_mommy

I recommend "Living Gluten Free for Dummies"! It's a good book, easy to read(not boring) and has alot of useful info! I've passed around to my family so they "Get" what celiac disease is!

THere are some awesome recipes here!!!! I've been baking all morning....wasn't in eth mood to eat just bake so I made the "to die for brownies" and choc chip cookies. Taking both to a cookout tonight!

Good Luck!!! Sometimes it gets you down but in the end I'm ok with it b/c I know I feel MUCH better!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Nope, you're not alone, we're all here to help! :) Welcome.

This site it where I learned virtually EVERYTHING the first few weeks. These are the people who live it! Such a great place. Ask any questions you may have. It really does get easier......and J Mommy's recommendation on the book is a good one.

See ya!

Guest KG in FL
hi! wow im glad im not the only one with celiac because it sure does feel like it sometimes.

im 15 and was told i had celiac disease last october after being quite sick for a while, i was very anemic and had liver problems and then i had to have loads of blood tests and i biopsy on my duodenum and then they told me i had celiac disease :(

anyway, not quite sure if im doing the right thing here, or if anyone will even see this but thanks if you did!

love

Chloe

Welcome and you are not alone. I have the celiac in my family but my daughter is 15 and I feel for you at your age in dealing with this. Fifteen is kind of a changing time and you must be sure to keep your willpower with food when out with your friends. I know with my daughter, it's an age where they all want to find friends who are like they are, do the same things, etc. Thier crowd. I hope you have some supportive friends. You will find them if not. It is imperative so that you can stay strong and live your life to the fullest. You can't do everything you want to do if you are weak and sick.

But the good news is... you can do it all- everything you want!! Only one small catch- don't let gluten slip into your food!! On this messege board (you are very smart to find this so soon!) you can find out everything you need to know about what you can and cannot eat. Where the hidden gluten lurks! And how to order at the resturants, which restaurants to go to. How to deal with holidays, birthdays and all that. But really how you are not alone. There are MANY of us out there. Older and younger. Male, female. My son (not celiac) is starting college this fall and if he ends up with celiac (it is hereditary) I already know of students at his college he can hook up with. In a way, it's kind of like our own group or club!

So try and make the best of it although there are and will be some challenges, but do not be afraid to ask for help. You already did here and I know everyone is happy to hear from you and answer anything we can. And most people on this web site know EVERYTHING!!! It's a wealth of knowledge and caring! Any subject you have a question about, I'll bet you can find it here. Or someone will find it for you! And just keep reading this web site so you know you aren't alone, you are not the only one going through this, having to make these changes.

Some products you might have to order on-line, some things not. Fresh stuff is best, but you have probably been told that your whole life!! And now it's time to be healthy!! It's all on this web site. Great information and ideas. Recipes and inspiration when you get a craving you can't control. We've all been there. What you can make or buy to replace all your favorite pasta's and pizza's. Breads and hamburger buns. Crackers and, well, you get the point! So-

Good luck and keep reading and posting!

roo#9 Newbie

Hey Chole,

I am new to this site too. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago and it has not been easy. But I have gotten used to it and we have some good recipes now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jacqui Apprentice

love

Chloe

Hi Chloe,

Welcome! celiac disease is not as bad as it seems, really. It will get easier. My family and I had to go gluten free (gluten-free) April 2006. At first I would dream about cheesy buttery garlic bread and wake up licking my lips, but that only happened 2x. I aslo found out just after finally finding an authentic NY pizza place in Sacramento, CA! Talk about poor timing!!! That bumbed me out...

I would say the best way to deal/cope with the celaic diagnosis is to:

1. Let your friends, family, teachers ... know about celiac disease. So many people do not know what it is all about and actuially so much is coming out that it confuses me at times. Sheesh even most of our (forum guys and girls) doc's do not know much about celiac disease!!

2. Do not be shy or embarrassed about needing to ask for the manager or to talk to the chef when you go out to eat. Most food places are aware of celiac disease or are willing to accomadate you.

3. If anyone says it is no big deal, just respond hopefully it won't cause cancer, other autoimmune diseases...since you now eat gluten free. Or something back.

4. Don't get discouraged when even a loved one doesn't quite get it. And trust me there will be someone you thought you could count on or lean on and they will not understand or will make small of your diagnosis. My Mom was not on board at first and of course said it must be my Dad's side and vice versa, but now she is like an Advocate for Celiacs. Any ear she can get will hear all about celiac disease, which gets the person researching it on line.

She also was embarrased when I went out to eat with her, but when she came to visit I finally figured out to call the restaurant first and speak to the Chef (preferrably) or Manager on Duty and plan a meal with them. When we would get to the restaurant they knew what I needed and usually what I wanted to order...

5. There are all kinds of recipes on this sight to check out and there are a couple of cookbooks that have been suggested. The one we bought is, "The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods".

Hope this helps!

Jacqui

Guest Clo-Jay

thanks everyone for the welcome :)

there is sooooo much that i find every day that i cant eat, gluten is everywhere lol

love

Chloe

little d Enthusiast

Welcome Clo-Jay

It was not to hard for me at first but it got really hard for me later when all my test came back negative and I just wanted to prove the doctor wrong and started eating regular food again I only hurt myself in the process, but I am trying now to get back on track with eating what I need to. Don't get too discouraged like me and do more harm to yourself, tell your parents when you are in need of more food that you can eat, it just maybe good for them as well. When i make dinner my husband does not know sometime when it is Gluten free, last week I made some like hamburger helper from Mrs Leepers that was a chicken dinner and my family loved it. So not everything taste like cardboard, or dirt, it is not too scary. Hope that this helps a little

Donna

loco-ladi Contributor

I am recently gluten-free myself and have found that for me the best way to deal with my "before" food cravings is to search do the legwork, fingerwork whatever it takes to find the replacement....

Yes I have had chocolate chip cookies, brownies, pizza and am currently on the lookout for crackers, my dintymore beef stew just isn't the same without my crackers, so I got the "DM", and on the lookout for crackers and I WILL find them!

Oh yeah, and sugar cookies are being made right after breakfast tomorrow anyone coming over! lol!

grey Explorer

Hi Chloe!

There are a lot of new people on the boards and I can't believe how welcoming everyone has been, answering questions (again and again, I imagine) and being supportive. I'm ok with most of the kinds of food, but I'm still dealing with 1) that I can't just go to a restaurant on the spur of the moment, or get a snack in a coffeeshop anymore and 2) that gluten is in some soaps, cleaning products, and cosmetics! You're definately not alone.

Remember, all that gluten-free chocolate and Haagen-Daz ice cream! (I can't eat choc., but I'm a HD junkie)

grey

little d Enthusiast
Hi Chloe!

There are a lot of new people on the boards and I can't believe how welcoming everyone has been, answering questions (again and again, I imagine) and being supportive. I'm ok with most of the kinds of food, but I'm still dealing with 1) that I can't just go to a restaurant on the spur of the moment, or get a snack in a coffeeshop anymore and 2) that gluten is in some soaps, cleaning products, and cosmetics! You're definately not alone.

Remember, all that gluten-free chocolate and Haagen-Daz ice cream! (I can't eat choc., but I'm a HD junkie)

grey

This is why I love everybody here they are so welcoming, so warm, we can fight like brothers and sisters, one big happy family. Im addicted I don't want to leave because it is like everybody knows what you are going through. It is great.

Ok I know enough of the mushy stuff

Donna

yes I have an addicting personality I'll blame on the Gluten :lol::lol: It is good at time and really bad the other times here it is good, because I am learning so much. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived