This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Enterolab Test

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

I gave up wheat completely in August. Can I still get those Enterolab tests done? Where do I order, how much does it cost?

BamBam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I have not had any of these tests ever conducted, but I know a little about them. First, you can still run those tests. That's what's so good about them. Unless you've been off the diet for years and years, you can run them with accuracy. If you go to their website, Open Original Shared Link, you can get information on costs. They vary based upon what individual tests you run or if you do a panel of tests. I believe they're somewhere between $100 and $500, depending on if you do panels or individual tests (panels are a couple tests, so they cost more. I don't know much about this, so someone else can provide some more info., soon, but this should be enough to get you started :)

-celiac3270

celiac3270 Collaborator

Back again....I just checked the prices and depending on how thorough you want to be, the prices range from about $170 to about $360. For example, gene tests or not, etc........BTW, you order online.

Guest barbara3675

Hello there-----I just had the complete Enterolab testing done with gene testing and they got the results to me in less than two weeks. I found them to be very professional and thorough. My doctor did blood testing and it came up negative and with Enterolab they found me to be gluten and casein intolerant. I would not hesitate if I were you to use this method of diagnosis as you can do it in the privacy of your own home, you send it off via overnight carrier and wait for the results to come via email. If you have further questions you can email me at sundown@nnex.net. Barbara

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Safetypr replied to Julie Riordan's topic in Traveling with Celiac Disease

Any ideas for travelling

2. - trents replied to Hannah2907's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Allergy test results

3. - Hannah2907 replied to Hannah2907's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Allergy test results

4. - Scott Adams replied to Hannah2907's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Allergy test results

5. - trents replied to Hannah2907's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Allergy test results

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Safetypr
    Newest Member
    Safetypr
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Safetypr
      I was diagnosed with celiac 19 years ago and have traveled globally. For Portugal - carry a written, translated statement (in Portuguese) that advises you have celiac disease and cannot eat gluten. Carry French translation for France. No wheat, rye or barley. I would select grilled or baked meat - ask the grill to be cleaned. Steamed veggies- no sauce. No soy sauce. No vinegars unless you know what kind. I carry gluten free bars. Eat fruit and nuts as snacks. Do - choose gluten free restaurants. It’s easier.  Always verify. Some restaurants add pancake batter to omelettes or crackers to hamburgers. Avoid French fries (tossed in flour and high risk of cross contamination in oil).  Do not drink beer - select Bulmers,Stella Artois or Angry Orchid - hard apple cider or wine. Avoid ice cream - often contains flour. I generally avoid desserts.  If you order a gluten free pizza - do not let servers put a regular pizza on top. Do not use the same pizza cutter or server. I avoided most appetizers. Fresh fruit makes a great dessert.  Or, I stop at a grocery and buy gluten free desserts and breakfast bars. Do not trust morning buffets. Hope this helps. Europe is easier than U.S. if you call ahead to verify they accommodate gluten free. If they say no, find a different restaurant. 
    • trents
      Keep in mind, Hannah, that of you are on a gluten free diet and want to get tested for celiac disease, any testing would be invalid until you were back on generous amounts of gluten for weeks/months.
    • Hannah2907
      Hi, the test I did was an online one with list of positive feedback. I initially did the test as I thought I may be lactose intolerant but with the results showing high sensitivity to gluten as well as dairy I thought I’d just ask for foods that may benefit me and my symptoms as well as follow these results up with a blood test with my doctors. It doesn’t specify coeliac, it just showed a very high sensitivity to gluten
    • Scott Adams
      Also, I've not heard of any legitimate allergy tests which use hair samples, certainly there is no test for celiac disease which uses a hair sample. Are you sure your tests are legitimate?
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum community, @Hannah2907! I know this is going to be all very confusing, Hannah, but the first thing to realize is that celiac disease is not an allergy and it cannot be diagnosed by allergy testing. It is an autoimmune disorder characterized by an inflammatory reaction to the ingestion of the protein "gluten" which is found in wheat, barley and rye.  Autoimmune disorders speak to diseases where the body's immunes system attacks the body's own cells. In the case of celiac disease, when food containing gluten is ingested, it triggers an attack in the villous lining of the small bowel. This causes inflammation in the villous lining and produces characteristic antibodies that can be detected in the blood through certain lab tests. This inflammation often (but not always) causes discomfort and other GI distress and always wears down the villous lining. This "wearing down" of the villous lining over time causes increasing inefficiency of nutrient absorption and can cause serious vitamin and mineral deficiency related medical problems. The villous lining of the small bowel is essentially where all the nutrition in our food is absorbed. The damage done to the villous lining can also be detected through an upper GI scoping ("endoscopy") with a biopsy. The endoscopy/biopsy is typically used as confirmation when the antibody blood testing is positive for celiac disease. Celiac disease may also be referred to as "gluten intolerance".  There is another gluten-related disorder known as NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity). NCGS is also known simply as "gluten sensitivity" but, unfortunately, many people use the terms "gluten intolerance" "gluten sensitivity" interchangeably. NCGS is 10x more common than celiac disease and shares many of the same symptoms with celiac disease. The main difference is that celiac disease damages the villous lining of the small bowel whereas NCGS does not. There is no test for NCGS. Celiac disease must first be ruled out. Both require complete abstinence from gluten. Some experts believe that NCGS can be a precursor to celiac disease. The immune system pathway of NCGS is not well understood though, like celiac disease, it is not an allergy. My point in all of this is to help you understand that the testing you have undergone for allergies is not effective for diagnosing gluten disorders. You need to get blood antibody testing done that is specifically designed to detect celiac disease. Many people with gluten disorders also must avoid dairy and sometimes oats, even gluten-free oats.