6 replies to this topic

#1 Terrilyn

Terrilyn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

:unsure: Does anyone have a problem with processed parmesan cheese. My sister added some to my bread crumbs to try and give them a little flavor and I broke out in my rash. I didn't get too sick, no gas but, my bowels did change. I went a little more often than I would have liked. The only thing that is on the label that we can't figure out is "cellulose". :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

:unsure: Does anyone have a problem with processed parmesan cheese. My sister added some to my bread crumbs to try and give them a little flavor and I broke out in my rash. I didn't get too sick, no gas but, my bowels did change. I went a little more often than I would have liked. The only thing that is on the label that we can't figure out is "cellulose". :huh:

Assumingly your bread crumbs were gluten free, yes? Cellulose should not be an issue for celiacs. Rather that, perhaps you may have a issue with dairy for the moment. Sometimes dairy is an issue in the begining and many can reintroduce it after some healing.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

I use Kraft brand parm cheese and they are great about labeling....haven't had probs with that.

Maybe it is a dairy issue as mommagoose said.....i'm lactose intol and I can only have so much before it's to teh poddy for me!!!

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:38 PM

I have tried many and not found one yet with gluten--maybe there is a cross contamination issue.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

It might be a Casien Intolerance. How are you with other dairy. With Parm cheese it wouldn't be a Lactose problem, it's an aged cheese.

If it was a store brand or some off brand there may be a filler.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#6 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

I've never had a problem with parmesan cheese. It could also just be one of those fluke things. I tend to forget that normal people have occasions when their stomach is not 100% for no good reason. Sometimes it's not the gluten :)
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#7 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:11 AM

I've never had a problem with parmesan cheese. It could also just be one of those fluke things. I tend to forget that normal people have occasions when their stomach is not 100% for no good reason. Sometimes it's not the gluten :)

I always keep the fact that my stomach may have a bad day in the back of my head, but the first time I get sick everyone around me starts, well what did you eat now? We still can get sick just like everyone else. :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: