This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Get Diarrhea?

shanbr

shanbr Rookie

Do you get diarrhea even if you haven't eaten gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karen B. Explorer

Lots of things can cause D, not just gluten. Stress, viruses, spicy food and everyone has their own individual triggers too. Too much pancake syrup will do me in.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Absolutely, not to mention the fact that it takes a while for your intestinal system to recover fully. You might try taking a broad spectrum probiotic, make sure it's gluten free. Any health food store will be happy to check for you, I take Flora's udo's Choice Adult Probiotic. That should help with your internal repair.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I get diarrhea from gluten, rice, eggs and potatoes.

Guest j_mommy

The first couple of days after going gluten-free I still had the big D. But now after a couple of weeks I haven't.

As Karen B said it could be a multitude of other things. Stress is a big one for me, smoking, soda ect......

If I have more than 1 glass of milk...I also get it!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

dlp252 Apprentice

Had diarrhea before going gluten free and still have it.

Been gluten free for over a year and a half and still have diarrhea...in fact it's getting worse in the last few months!

Nancym Enthusiast

I'd say it's due to something else. For me I'm sensitive to other foods: diary, seeds, corn and probably other things. Or it might be something like small bowel overgrowth. Google that term and see if it makes sense.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Yeah...

I had a hard time figuring out what was happening to me, I was gluten-free but still getting the big D. I first figured out caisens, that helped me, then I had to relearn what is normal for bowel movements. My first lesson was if I eat fruit all day, I'll be on the toliet all night... I was upset thinking I was some weirdo who was intolerant to fruit. Then my boyfriend (who hates when I talk about my BM's) told me if anyone ate that much fruit that would happen. I was also told nuts don't digest, so don't freak out. I have also been accused of worrying myself sick over the gluten-free diet. Everyone thinks I overthink the diet and make myself sick from worry, but I think my worry is called for. Besides I worry the same amount everyday, If I was worrying every day...i'd be sick everyday!

Unfortunately my main symtom of Celiac was D, so I have to first eliminate normal causes of D, then if they check out, look for casien/gluten sources.

pedro Explorer
I get diarrhea from gluten, rice, eggs and potatoes.

Hi Ursa. I cannot eat potatos neither. Why is it that potatoes give me so much bloading and pain.

Is this temporary until my instestine is heal, or do think this is permanent?.

Many thanks

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Fatty foods, even a small bag of chips, can do me in! :angry:

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
Hi Ursa. I cannot eat potatos neither. Why is it that potatoes give me so much bloading and pain.

Is this temporary until my instestine is heal, or do think this is permanent?.

Many thanks

It could be a nightshade intoelrance - some folks with celiac disease have that.

Eggs, apples, most raw fruit, an abundance of OJ, an abundance of fried food and even champagne has give me the big "D" on occasion.

Karen B. Explorer

Just realized I forgot to mention overdosing on coffee, too much coffee will definitely cause it.

Yenni Enthusiast

Yes, I can get diarrhea from other stuff too. Stress, if I eat a lot of rice, medication like antibiotics, chocolate..

Felidae Enthusiast

In addition to gluten, tapioca and beef give me diarrhea.

tmk Explorer

i just got some blood work done for celiac disease and haven't heard back on the results yet -- i have had chronic diarrhea for the past 18 years and when i found this site, and read all the great info, i was really optimistic. this post has kind of freaked me out a bit -- about people still having diarrhea after going gluten-free. i was hoping that gluten-free would end the constant diarrhea and worry of "accidents" and give me back my life. is there anybody out there who the gluten-free diet has completely rid them of diarrhea (w/ the exception of "d" from flu's, etc.)? :blink:

thanks for the info!!!

Walter S Explorer

I have been gluten free for a few months now and I am still getting diarrhea all of the time! Also I now get nausea and vomiting which I din't get before. Next step for me is the elimination diet.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
i just got some blood work done for celiac disease and haven't heard back on the results yet -- i have had chronic diarrhea for the past 18 years and when i found this site, and read all the great info, i was really optimistic. this post has kind of freaked me out a bit -- about people still having diarrhea after going gluten-free. i was hoping that gluten-free would end the constant diarrhea and worry of "accidents" and give me back my life. is there anybody out there who the gluten-free diet has completely rid them of diarrhea (w/ the exception of "d" from flu's, etc.)? :blink:

thanks for the info!!!

I have to say my D is much different from the D I had before gluten-free. Before I had very little contol over it, and very little warning. Now I can feel it coming a few hours ahead of time. they arn't nearly as "violent". Before I would check where the bathrooms were when I went somwhere, now I can seem to wait till i get home before needing to go.

Does that make you feel any better?

lob6796 Contributor

I get it from gluten, milk, soy, coffee, beef, and certain types of oils - like those chips with olestra. Too much fruit will do it, as will too many nuts. lol.. so much!

pedro Explorer

Hi

I had a min of 3 big D a day. When I started with the gluten-free diet a week and a half later the D were gone.

I can relax now. I told my wife before I started the diet I probably have to end up wearing adult pampers. Sometimes the big D would come at a time I was driving, and there is not way to stop them. It was horrible. Give the diet a try. I started with vegestables, fish, or little pieces of chicken, I did not eat nothing fry, or spicy.

I hope you feel better.

Take care.

lob6796 Contributor
Hi

I had a min of 3 big D a day. When I started with the gluten-free diet a week and a half later the D were gone.

I can relax now. I told my wife before I started the diet I probably have to end up wearing adult pampers. Sometimes the big D would come at a time I was driving, and there is not way to stop them. It was horrible. Give the diet a try. I started with vegestables, fish, or little pieces of chicken, I did not eat nothing fry, or spicy.

I hope you feel better.

Take care.

I have to say that for some, the big D is the most life changing aspect. My father drives an oversize load truck for a living, and we live out in the middle of no where. No matter what the poor guy eats, he is stopping this ENORMOUS truck in the middle of a road, basically blocking off all traffic, and running off into the woods. Thank god we live out in the middle of nowhere. He used to work in Boston driving tractor trailers and he said if he had these symptoms back then he didn't know if he would be able to do his job. You can't exactly stop, drop and ...go in the middle of Boston. He is looking forward to getting through all the testing and getting his bathroom needs under control.

Archived