Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Dental Work & Gluten In Products

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I

Ads by Google:
Hello all,

I

Janet,

I have had the same "dental" reactions. I don't know how long you've been gluten-free - but, I found the first couple cleanings I had made me real sick - I think that the tartar must have contained "old gluten".

I later learned that some gloves are powdered with oat flour, or wheat starch. Being latex sensitive, I ask them to use latex-free and non-powdered gloves. These measures have seemed to help me.

My family is very reactive to anything gluten-grain derived, which includes distilled vinegar, and of course grain distilled ALCOHOLs. Regular mouthwashes irritate us terribly - we use only non-alcohol versions.

Best of Luck,

Lori

P.S. Shortly after writing this post I found an article regarding gluten-free Dental Issues - from "Living Without" magazine:

http://www.livingwithout.com/features/feature-dentist.html

Unfortunately, my dentist is very unaware of celiac disease and therefore has not been very helpful in determining whether or not products that he uses have gluten. I know that it is my responsibility to check these things out but have not been very active in that regard. I do know that I get really sick, vomiting and diharea when I take novacaine. I usually only use the gas. I will continue with this dentist as he is really good and I have major dentist problems. I was assaulted by a dentist when I was a child and later had another dentist drill the roof of my mouth when drill slipped. Going to the dentist is really a difficult thing for me to do, therefore, I will not change dentists and I do need to do the checking on the products he uses.

I am in the process of switching over to a new dentist. When I called to set up the intital appointment, I asked the woman on the phone who gladly checked for me. She even wrote me a list of things and sent it in my welcome packet. I feel very comfortable now. I have an appointment in 2 weeks.

Before this, I have not had any issues, but I want to keep playing it safe and making sure things are all right.

Unfortunately, my dentist is very unaware of celiac disease and therefore has not been very helpful in determining whether or not products that he uses have gluten. I know that it is my responsibility to check these things out but have not been very active in that regard. I do know that I get really sick, vomiting and diharea when I take novacaine. I usually only use the gas. I will continue with this dentist as he is really good and I have major dentist problems. I was assaulted by a dentist when I was a child and later had another dentist drill the roof of my mouth when drill slipped. Going to the dentist is really a difficult thing for me to do, therefore, I will not change dentists and I do need to do the checking on the products he uses.

I work at a dental office and I know everyone is quite unaware of gluten-containing products. I've had to educate just about all of them of my condition, but I haven't done much looking into the products. I should, so I know for myself, and for other patients who may come in w/ celiac disease.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences at the dentist sparkles :( It's hard enough to go w/out having trauma.

This comes up occasionally and the answer always seems to be get a list of everything that your dentist has and call the factory. While that is the best solution in terms of up-to-the-minute information (assuming the company would know the answer and not give a legal CYA answer), it really isn't practical. The list that juliela has on her website was a nice list (thank you).

What I would like to know is a common dental item that has gluten. The problem seems to be the dental staff not understanding or taking it serious. If a patient could go in, ask do you use "X" and then show them on a package ingredient list that they have something harmful to that patient, it would be effective.

My dentist said that he used no products with gluten. He answered immediately. That means he'd already checked that for another patient or he didn't even think about grain derivatives being in dental products.

The only product with gluten that I've seen mentioned on this site was a specific brand of toothpaste. Maybe I go to strange dentists but I've never actually used toothpaste in the dental office.