#1 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hello all,

Iíve read a lot about dental products containing gluten but I donít think Iíve ever seen a list of things to watch. I am having gum surgery tomorrow and certainly donít want to get glutened. I had several fillings done recently and got very sick even though the office assured me everything was gluten free (you know the drill). I have problems with several things (soy, dairy and gluten) and react differently to each so I am almost certain it was gluten.

What has been your experience with gluten at the dentist? Does anyone have suggestions on what to tell the dental office to double check or avoid?

Thanks!

Janet

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

Hello all,

Iíve read a lot about dental products containing gluten but I donít think Iíve ever seen a list of things to watch. I am having gum surgery tomorrow and certainly donít want to get glutened. I had several fillings done recently and got very sick even though the office assured me everything was gluten free (you know the drill). I have problems with several things (soy, dairy and gluten) and react differently to each so I am almost certain it was gluten.

What has been your experience with gluten at the dentist? Does anyone have suggestions on what to tell the dental office to double check or avoid?

Thanks!

Janet

I would call the office and ask for a list of everything they plan to use on you. If they have glutened you before you know they are not taking this seriously and you really need to check out the products yourself. If there is not enough time I would reschedule the surgery until after you are sure that all is safe. Being glutened can adversely effect your healing and gluten is readily absorbed by the mucous membranes in your mouth.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 GF Family of 4 Since 2002

GF Family of 4 Since 2002

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hello all,

Thanks!

Janet

#4 GF Family of 4 Since 2002

GF Family of 4 Since 2002

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

Janet,

I have had the same "dental" reactions. I don't know how long you've been gluten-free - but, I found the first couple cleanings I had made me real sick - I think that the tartar must have contained "old gluten".

I later learned that some gloves are powdered with oat flour, or wheat starch. Being latex sensitive, I ask them to use latex-free and non-powdered gloves. These measures have seemed to help me.

My family is very reactive to anything gluten-grain derived, which includes distilled vinegar, and of course grain distilled ALCOHOLs. Regular mouthwashes irritate us terribly - we use only non-alcohol versions.

Best of Luck,

Lori

P.S. Shortly after writing this post I found an article regarding gluten-free Dental Issues - from "Living Without" magazine:
http://www.livingwit...re-dentist.html

#5 sparkles

sparkles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

Unfortunately, my dentist is very unaware of celiac disease and therefore has not been very helpful in determining whether or not products that he uses have gluten. I know that it is my responsibility to check these things out but have not been very active in that regard. I do know that I get really sick, vomiting and diharea when I take novacaine. I usually only use the gas. I will continue with this dentist as he is really good and I have major dentist problems. I was assaulted by a dentist when I was a child and later had another dentist drill the roof of my mouth when drill slipped. Going to the dentist is really a difficult thing for me to do, therefore, I will not change dentists and I do need to do the checking on the products he uses.
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

#6 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:00 AM

I am in the process of switching over to a new dentist. When I called to set up the intital appointment, I asked the woman on the phone who gladly checked for me. She even wrote me a list of things and sent it in my welcome packet. I feel very comfortable now. I have an appointment in 2 weeks.

Before this, I have not had any issues, but I want to keep playing it safe and making sure things are all right.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#7 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

Unfortunately, my dentist is very unaware of celiac disease and therefore has not been very helpful in determining whether or not products that he uses have gluten. I know that it is my responsibility to check these things out but have not been very active in that regard. I do know that I get really sick, vomiting and diharea when I take novacaine. I usually only use the gas. I will continue with this dentist as he is really good and I have major dentist problems. I was assaulted by a dentist when I was a child and later had another dentist drill the roof of my mouth when drill slipped. Going to the dentist is really a difficult thing for me to do, therefore, I will not change dentists and I do need to do the checking on the products he uses.

I work at a dental office and I know everyone is quite unaware of gluten-containing products. I've had to educate just about all of them of my condition, but I haven't done much looking into the products. I should, so I know for myself, and for other patients who may come in w/ celiac disease.
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences at the dentist sparkles :( It's hard enough to go w/out having trauma.
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#8 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:04 AM

This comes up occasionally and the answer always seems to be get a list of everything that your dentist has and call the factory. While that is the best solution in terms of up-to-the-minute information (assuming the company would know the answer and not give a legal CYA answer), it really isn't practical. The list that juliela has on her website was a nice list (thank you).

What I would like to know is a common dental item that has gluten. The problem seems to be the dental staff not understanding or taking it serious. If a patient could go in, ask do you use "X" and then show them on a package ingredient list that they have something harmful to that patient, it would be effective.

My dentist said that he used no products with gluten. He answered immediately. That means he'd already checked that for another patient or he didn't even think about grain derivatives being in dental products.

The only product with gluten that I've seen mentioned on this site was a specific brand of toothpaste. Maybe I go to strange dentists but I've never actually used toothpaste in the dental office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: