23 replies to this topic

#1 Dide

Dide

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:27 AM

Does anyone have some good (and not too hard) one dish recipes that can be frozen and heated or cooked later for a gluten-free friend? She has children ages 6 to 12 and a husband--all with no dietary restrictions--so it would be great if they were 'family friendly.'

Thanks in advance for any help from her well-meaning but gluten-free ignorant girlfriends!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Murph

Murph

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:10 PM

This seems too wide-open to get many replies. Just about anything can be made gluten-free, w/ the right substitutions.

Maybe if u start w/ a certain dish, ppl can help w/ the substitutions.

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

Does anyone have some good (and not too hard) one dish recipes that can be frozen and heated or cooked later for a gluten-free friend? She has children ages 6 to 12 and a husband--all with no dietary restrictions--so it would be great if they were 'family friendly.'

Thanks in advance for any help from her well-meaning but gluten-free ignorant girlfriends!

How thoughtful!! You must be a really wonderful friends.

There is a huge selection of recipes on on this site. Scroll down to the bottom and select the Recipes Forum...there you will find selections in the thousands. Baking and Cooking forum, I believe.

Wish I had more friends like you.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

This is one of my Fave Recipies! I make it in my rice cooker and serve it right out of the cooker. You can use pre cooked chicken also.

http://www.bigoven.c...ice_recipe.html

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#5 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:57 AM

My husband's favorite casserole:

Macaroni and cheese with ground beef......

For years it was his favorite (prior to celiac disease diagnosis) and now I am thrilled to make it with gluten-free macaroni and Kraft American cheese......when he first went gluten-free he was afraid to eat it again even with gluten-free ingredients and now finally he relented and is always asking me to make this for him.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#6 Dide

Dide

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

How thoughtful!! You must be a really wonderful friends.

There is a huge selection of recipes on on this site. Scroll down to the bottom and select the Recipes Forum...there you will find selections in the thousands. Baking and Cooking forum, I believe.

Wish I had more friends like you.

Unfortunately, our gluten-free friend's 8-year-old daughter had a terrible accident on vacation over the Memorial Day weekend. We're doing lawn work and housework for them until they get home (the easy part) and want to cook up some one-dish meals and freeze them so they'll have food upon their arrival (the harder part).

I checked the recipes but sometimes it's hard to tell what will freeze and reheat well. I was also afraid if I just made one of my own recipes and substituted gluten-free ingredients, it might not taste good (I'm guessing some brands/products are better than others). I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks,
Dide

#7 Dide

Dide

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

This is one of my Fave Recipies! I make it in my rice cooker and serve it right out of the cooker. You can use pre cooked chicken also.
http://www.bigoven.c...ice_recipe.html

Sounds like a good recipe! I think if I just leave the shrimp raw (frozen) and let her add it to the reheated ingredients, it might work (sometimes reheated cooked shrimp is strong and tough).

Thanks!
Dide

#8 Dide

Dide

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

This seems too wide-open to get many replies. Just about anything can be made gluten-free, w/ the right substitutions.

Maybe if u start w/ a certain dish, ppl can help w/ the substitutions.

I checked the recipes but sometimes it's hard to tell what will freeze and reheat well (an important criteria). I was also afraid if I just made one of my own recipes and substituted gluten-free ingredients, it might not taste good (I'm guessing some brands/products are better than others). I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks,
Dide

#9 Dide

Dide

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:45 AM

My husband's favorite casserole:

Macaroni and cheese with ground beef......

For years it was his favorite (prior to celiac disease diagnosis) and now I am thrilled to make it with gluten-free macaroni and Kraft American cheese......when he first went gluten-free he was afraid to eat it again even with gluten-free ingredients and now finally he relented and is always asking me to make this for him.

Thanks for the idea--mac-n-chees w/beef sounds great. But I was unable to find a link to the recipe--should I just search the recipe forum?

Thanks,
Dide

#10 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

I would love the mac and cheese recipe too
~Betty

#11 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

ER Betty

I didn't see your post until after I PM'd it to Dide.
Dide please share with Betty - thanks.
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#12 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

Hi there.

I'm so sorry for your friends daughter. How awful. I hope she heals and recovers quickly. You are such a kind friend to do this for them.

I have found for pasta dishes, Tinkyada is the one that freezes best. It's a brown rice pasta, but it doesn't over absorb water like some others do.

Some REALLY easy, very freezer friendly recipes:

Spaghetti Casserole

8 oz Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta
1 lb ground meat (just make sure no fillers and it's all meat - use chicken, beef, turkey, whatever)
1 28 oz jar crushed tomatoes
2 tsp Italian seasoning (just check label...McCormick is reputable)
2 cloves garlic
8 oz sour cream - Kraft is a good one to use b/c they are reputable in labelling
1 cup mozzarella, shredded. i'd buy whole mozz and shred yourself. SOMETIMES there is wheat starch for anti clumping

Prepare pasta according to directions. Undercook SLIGHTLY. Drain and rinse well. Mix in the sour cream.

Layer the sour cream coated spaghetti in the bottom of a 9X13 pan (I usually spray with cooking spray first).

Brown meat...add crushed tomatoes, italian seasoning and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until blended well.

Pour over spaghetti layer.

Sprinkle the mozz over.

Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray...place over top and seal well. Freeze until firm.

When they want to eat it - bake in oven 45 mins covered at 350....then 15 minutes uncovered. I have found sometimes it will take a little bit longer to cook, but not always.

Give them some prewashed bagged salads to go with it.

Tortilla Casserole (Also called Taco Lasagna)

1 bag tortilla chips (DO NOT use tostitos...they have wheat starch in them)
1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey
Taco Seasoning Packet (McCormick is safe)
Ing to prepare seasoning packet (think it's water!)
1 16 oz jar salsa (Ortega's are all gluten free)
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Prepare taco meat as directed on package.

Spray a 9X13 Pan with cooking spray. Lay tortilla chips in the bottom...enough to cover well...press down and crush them. Put half of the taco meat down. Top 1/3 the jar of salsa and about 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Repeat tortilla layer, meat layer, salsa and cheese. Top with more tortilla chips, the last 1/3rd of the salsa and the last cup of cheese.

Spray a long piece of foil with cooking spray and seal over top. Freeze.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered, uncover and bake 15 more minutes.

Chicken Rice Casserole

1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup
1 cup sour cream
2 Cups cooked rice
1 bag frozen peas/carrots/corn mix (thawed)
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken

Mix Soup & Sour cream together. In a large bowl pour the rice, thawed veggies and chicken. Pour the sour cream mixture over top and mix well.

Pour into a greased 13X9" pan. Cover top with cheese, if desired. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray. Freeze.

Again, bake at 350 for 45 mins covered, uncovered 15 mins. More if needed.

I have an enchillada recipe too...but I gotta look up the sauce recipe, I'll post it later today! :D

#13 Dide

Dide

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hi there.

I'm so sorry for your friends daughter. How awful. I hope she heals and recovers quickly. You are such a kind friend to do this for them.

I have found for pasta dishes, Tinkyada is the one that freezes best. It's a brown rice pasta, but it doesn't over absorb water like some others do.
Some REALLY easy, very freezer friendly recipes:

Spaghetti Casserole

8 oz Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta
1 lb ground meat (just make sure no fillers and it's all meat - use chicken, beef, turkey, whatever)
1 28 oz jar crushed tomatoes
2 tsp Italian seasoning (just check label...McCormick is reputable)
2 cloves garlic
8 oz sour cream - Kraft is a good one to use b/c they are reputable in labelling
1 cup mozzarella, shredded. i'd buy whole mozz and shred yourself. SOMETIMES there is wheat starch for anti clumping
Prepare pasta according to directions. Undercook SLIGHTLY. Drain and rinse well. Mix in the sour cream.

Layer the sour cream coated spaghetti in the bottom of a 9X13 pan (I usually spray with cooking spray first).

Brown meat...add crushed tomatoes, italian seasoning and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until blended well.

Pour over spaghetti layer.

Sprinkle the mozz over.

Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray...place over top and seal well. Freeze until firm.

When they want to eat it - bake in oven 45 mins covered at 350....then 15 minutes uncovered. I have found sometimes it will take a little bit longer to cook, but not always.

Give them some prewashed bagged salads to go with it.
Tortilla Casserole (Also called Taco Lasagna)

1 bag tortilla chips (DO NOT use tostitos...they have wheat starch in them)
1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey
Taco Seasoning Packet (McCormick is safe)
Ing to prepare seasoning packet (think it's water!)
1 16 oz jar salsa (Ortega's are all gluten free)
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Prepare taco meat as directed on package.

Spray a 9X13 Pan with cooking spray. Lay tortilla chips in the bottom...enough to cover well...press down and crush them. Put half of the taco meat down. Top 1/3 the jar of salsa and about 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Repeat tortilla layer, meat layer, salsa and cheese. Top with more tortilla chips, the last 1/3rd of the salsa and the last cup of cheese.

Spray a long piece of foil with cooking spray and seal over top. Freeze.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered, uncover and bake 15 more minutes.
Chicken Rice Casserole

1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup
1 cup sour cream
2 Cups cooked rice
1 bag frozen peas/carrots/corn mix (thawed)
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken

Mix Soup & Sour cream together. In a large bowl pour the rice, thawed veggies and chicken. Pour the sour cream mixture over top and mix well.

Pour into a greased 13X9" pan. Cover top with cheese, if desired. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray. Freeze.

Again, bake at 350 for 45 mins covered, uncovered 15 mins. More if needed.
I have an enchillada recipe too...but I gotta look up the sauce recipe, I'll post it later today! :D

Thank you so much! Now I'm armed with some awesome sounding recipes that her whole family can eat. This is a great forum!
Dide

#14 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:47 AM

It's my receipe - this is the kind of receipe where you and adjust it to how you like it.
Read through before using ... I found I had to "tinker with it" - it makes enough for us for 2-3 nights of dinner - rarely 3 if my husband goes overboard - which he usually does.

Like it cheesey ?: add more cheese
Like it dry? : use less milk
Not enough meat?: use more ground beef

You will need:

either 2 baking dishes or 1 large baking dish (can use aluminum disposable)

use Tinyada elbow macaroni - about 2.5 cups (I like this because it cooks up well and has fiber)
1 can of Heinz Cream of tomato soup (hard to find) or other gluten-free tomato soup

about 1 lb hamburger meat

about 3 cups of whole milk (can use canned milk - do not dilute then)
about 6-8 oz of American or mixed with Cheddar gluten-free cheese
Spices? salt, pepper, onion - anything you like to your taste - but if kids are going to eat this you might want to go light on the really spicey ingredients..

Oven temp 350 for about 35-40 mins.

1) boil macaroni for about 13 minutes (otherwise they'll get too mushy to use)
2) brown/cook meat, separating it so it's loose
3) mix milk with soup (about 3/4 of can) and chopped up cheese and spices/salt/pepper and put on low heat and stir a lot to keep from burning and sticking to pot...shut it off just when the cheese gets melted - you can reheat it if need be for step 5
4) Drain macaroni well, rinsing under cold water a bit...make sure macaroni is dry a bit before using

5) in baking dishes:

1) when using two - put all ingredients in pans evenly and bake - you may need to re-heat the cheese mixture before pouring it in because as it cools the fat separates to the top.

2) when using one big baking dish - just pour in all ingredients and bake. Oven temp 350 for about 35-40 mins.
Now has lymphadema 2006

#15 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:01 AM

Hi,
Another thing that is nice is grilled chicken breasts frozen. I would hesitate to buy these now as I couldn't be assured of what they were marinated with. But you could do a bunch for them and freeze them. It sure makes an easy meal! You could wrap them individually so she could take out only what was needed. It's a little work but you sound like a good friend! ;)

You get the good friend award!! I hope their child recovers quickly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: