Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need One Dish Recipes To Make For A Gluten-free Friend

24 posts in this topic

Does anyone have some good (and not too hard) one dish recipes that can be frozen and heated or cooked later for a gluten-free friend? She has children ages 6 to 12 and a husband--all with no dietary restrictions--so it would be great if they were 'family friendly.'

Thanks in advance for any help from her well-meaning but gluten-free ignorant girlfriends!

Ads by Google:

This seems too wide-open to get many replies. Just about anything can be made gluten-free, w/ the right substitutions.

Maybe if u start w/ a certain dish, ppl can help w/ the substitutions.

Does anyone have some good (and not too hard) one dish recipes that can be frozen and heated or cooked later for a gluten-free friend? She has children ages 6 to 12 and a husband--all with no dietary restrictions--so it would be great if they were 'family friendly.'

Thanks in advance for any help from her well-meaning but gluten-free ignorant girlfriends!

How thoughtful!! You must be a really wonderful friends.

There is a huge selection of recipes on on this site. Scroll down to the bottom and select the Recipes Forum...there you will find selections in the thousands. Baking and Cooking forum, I believe.

Wish I had more friends like you.

My husband's favorite casserole:

Macaroni and cheese with ground beef......

For years it was his favorite (prior to celiac disease diagnosis) and now I am thrilled to make it with gluten-free macaroni and Kraft American cheese......when he first went gluten-free he was afraid to eat it again even with gluten-free ingredients and now finally he relented and is always asking me to make this for him.

How thoughtful!! You must be a really wonderful friends.

There is a huge selection of recipes on on this site. Scroll down to the bottom and select the Recipes Forum...there you will find selections in the thousands. Baking and Cooking forum, I believe.

Wish I had more friends like you.

Unfortunately, our gluten-free friend's 8-year-old daughter had a terrible accident on vacation over the Memorial Day weekend. We're doing lawn work and housework for them until they get home (the easy part) and want to cook up some one-dish meals and freeze them so they'll have food upon their arrival (the harder part).

I checked the recipes but sometimes it's hard to tell what will freeze and reheat well. I was also afraid if I just made one of my own recipes and substituted gluten-free ingredients, it might not taste good (I'm guessing some brands/products are better than others). I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks,

Dide

This is one of my Fave Recipies! I make it in my rice cooker and serve it right out of the cooker. You can use pre cooked chicken also.

http://www.bigoven.com/161431_EasyGarlicSh...ice_recipe.html

Sounds like a good recipe! I think if I just leave the shrimp raw (frozen) and let her add it to the reheated ingredients, it might work (sometimes reheated cooked shrimp is strong and tough).

Thanks!

Dide

This seems too wide-open to get many replies. Just about anything can be made gluten-free, w/ the right substitutions.

Maybe if u start w/ a certain dish, ppl can help w/ the substitutions.

I checked the recipes but sometimes it's hard to tell what will freeze and reheat well (an important criteria). I was also afraid if I just made one of my own recipes and substituted gluten-free ingredients, it might not taste good (I'm guessing some brands/products are better than others). I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Thanks,

Dide

My husband's favorite casserole:

Macaroni and cheese with ground beef......

For years it was his favorite (prior to celiac disease diagnosis) and now I am thrilled to make it with gluten-free macaroni and Kraft American cheese......when he first went gluten-free he was afraid to eat it again even with gluten-free ingredients and now finally he relented and is always asking me to make this for him.

Thanks for the idea--mac-n-chees w/beef sounds great. But I was unable to find a link to the recipe--should I just search the recipe forum?

Thanks,

Dide

I would love the mac and cheese recipe too

ER Betty

I didn't see your post until after I PM'd it to Dide.

Dide please share with Betty - thanks.

Hi there.

I'm so sorry for your friends daughter. How awful. I hope she heals and recovers quickly. You are such a kind friend to do this for them.

I have found for pasta dishes, Tinkyada is the one that freezes best. It's a brown rice pasta, but it doesn't over absorb water like some others do.

Some REALLY easy, very freezer friendly recipes:

Spaghetti Casserole

8 oz Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta

1 lb ground meat (just make sure no fillers and it's all meat - use chicken, beef, turkey, whatever)

1 28 oz jar crushed tomatoes

2 tsp Italian seasoning (just check label...McCormick is reputable)

2 cloves garlic

8 oz sour cream - Kraft is a good one to use b/c they are reputable in labelling

1 cup mozzarella, shredded. i'd buy whole mozz and shred yourself. SOMETIMES there is wheat starch for anti clumping

Prepare pasta according to directions. Undercook SLIGHTLY. Drain and rinse well. Mix in the sour cream.

Layer the sour cream coated spaghetti in the bottom of a 9X13 pan (I usually spray with cooking spray first).

Brown meat...add crushed tomatoes, italian seasoning and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until blended well.

Pour over spaghetti layer.

Sprinkle the mozz over.

Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray...place over top and seal well. Freeze until firm.

When they want to eat it - bake in oven 45 mins covered at 350....then 15 minutes uncovered. I have found sometimes it will take a little bit longer to cook, but not always.

Give them some prewashed bagged salads to go with it.

Tortilla Casserole (Also called Taco Lasagna)

1 bag tortilla chips (DO NOT use tostitos...they have wheat starch in them)

1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey

Taco Seasoning Packet (McCormick is safe)

Ing to prepare seasoning packet (think it's water!)

1 16 oz jar salsa (Ortega's are all gluten free)

4 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Prepare taco meat as directed on package.

Spray a 9X13 Pan with cooking spray. Lay tortilla chips in the bottom...enough to cover well...press down and crush them. Put half of the taco meat down. Top 1/3 the jar of salsa and about 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Repeat tortilla layer, meat layer, salsa and cheese. Top with more tortilla chips, the last 1/3rd of the salsa and the last cup of cheese.

Spray a long piece of foil with cooking spray and seal over top. Freeze.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered, uncover and bake 15 more minutes.

Chicken Rice Casserole

1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup

1 cup sour cream

2 Cups cooked rice

1 bag frozen peas/carrots/corn mix (thawed)

2 cups cooked, chopped chicken

Mix Soup & Sour cream together. In a large bowl pour the rice, thawed veggies and chicken. Pour the sour cream mixture over top and mix well.

Pour into a greased 13X9" pan. Cover top with cheese, if desired. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray. Freeze.

Again, bake at 350 for 45 mins covered, uncovered 15 mins. More if needed.

I have an enchillada recipe too...but I gotta look up the sauce recipe, I'll post it later today! :D

Hi there.

I'm so sorry for your friends daughter. How awful. I hope she heals and recovers quickly. You are such a kind friend to do this for them.

I have found for pasta dishes, Tinkyada is the one that freezes best. It's a brown rice pasta, but it doesn't over absorb water like some others do.

Some REALLY easy, very freezer friendly recipes:

Spaghetti Casserole

8 oz Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta

1 lb ground meat (just make sure no fillers and it's all meat - use chicken, beef, turkey, whatever)

1 28 oz jar crushed tomatoes

2 tsp Italian seasoning (just check label...McCormick is reputable)

2 cloves garlic

8 oz sour cream - Kraft is a good one to use b/c they are reputable in labelling

1 cup mozzarella, shredded. i'd buy whole mozz and shred yourself. SOMETIMES there is wheat starch for anti clumping

Prepare pasta according to directions. Undercook SLIGHTLY. Drain and rinse well. Mix in the sour cream.

Layer the sour cream coated spaghetti in the bottom of a 9X13 pan (I usually spray with cooking spray first).

Brown meat...add crushed tomatoes, italian seasoning and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until blended well.

Pour over spaghetti layer.

Sprinkle the mozz over.

Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray...place over top and seal well. Freeze until firm.

When they want to eat it - bake in oven 45 mins covered at 350....then 15 minutes uncovered. I have found sometimes it will take a little bit longer to cook, but not always.

Give them some prewashed bagged salads to go with it.

Tortilla Casserole (Also called Taco Lasagna)

1 bag tortilla chips (DO NOT use tostitos...they have wheat starch in them)

1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey

Taco Seasoning Packet (McCormick is safe)

Ing to prepare seasoning packet (think it's water!)

1 16 oz jar salsa (Ortega's are all gluten free)

4 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Prepare taco meat as directed on package.

Spray a 9X13 Pan with cooking spray. Lay tortilla chips in the bottom...enough to cover well...press down and crush them. Put half of the taco meat down. Top 1/3 the jar of salsa and about 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Repeat tortilla layer, meat layer, salsa and cheese. Top with more tortilla chips, the last 1/3rd of the salsa and the last cup of cheese.

Spray a long piece of foil with cooking spray and seal over top. Freeze.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered, uncover and bake 15 more minutes.

Chicken Rice Casserole

1 can Progresso Creamy Mushroom Soup

1 cup sour cream

2 Cups cooked rice

1 bag frozen peas/carrots/corn mix (thawed)

2 cups cooked, chopped chicken

Mix Soup & Sour cream together. In a large bowl pour the rice, thawed veggies and chicken. Pour the sour cream mixture over top and mix well.

Pour into a greased 13X9" pan. Cover top with cheese, if desired. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray. Freeze.

Again, bake at 350 for 45 mins covered, uncovered 15 mins. More if needed.

I have an enchillada recipe too...but I gotta look up the sauce recipe, I'll post it later today! :D

Thank you so much! Now I'm armed with some awesome sounding recipes that her whole family can eat. This is a great forum!

Dide

It's my receipe - this is the kind of receipe where you and adjust it to how you like it.

Read through before using ... I found I had to "tinker with it" - it makes enough for us for 2-3 nights of dinner - rarely 3 if my husband goes overboard - which he usually does.

Like it cheesey ?: add more cheese

Like it dry? : use less milk

Not enough meat?: use more ground beef

You will need:

either 2 baking dishes or 1 large baking dish (can use aluminum disposable)

use Tinyada elbow macaroni - about 2.5 cups (I like this because it cooks up well and has fiber)

1 can of Heinz Cream of tomato soup (hard to find) or other gluten-free tomato soup

about 1 lb hamburger meat

about 3 cups of whole milk (can use canned milk - do not dilute then)

about 6-8 oz of American or mixed with Cheddar gluten-free cheese

Spices? salt, pepper, onion - anything you like to your taste - but if kids are going to eat this you might want to go light on the really spicey ingredients..

Oven temp 350 for about 35-40 mins.

1) boil macaroni for about 13 minutes (otherwise they'll get too mushy to use)

2) brown/cook meat, separating it so it's loose

3) mix milk with soup (about 3/4 of can) and chopped up cheese and spices/salt/pepper and put on low heat and stir a lot to keep from burning and sticking to pot...shut it off just when the cheese gets melted - you can reheat it if need be for step 5

4) Drain macaroni well, rinsing under cold water a bit...make sure macaroni is dry a bit before using

5) in baking dishes:

1) when using two - put all ingredients in pans evenly and bake - you may need to re-heat the cheese mixture before pouring it in because as it cools the fat separates to the top.

2) when using one big baking dish - just pour in all ingredients and bake. Oven temp 350 for about 35-40 mins.

Hi,

Another thing that is nice is grilled chicken breasts frozen. I would hesitate to buy these now as I couldn't be assured of what they were marinated with. But you could do a bunch for them and freeze them. It sure makes an easy meal! You could wrap them individually so she could take out only what was needed. It's a little work but you sound like a good friend! ;)

You get the good friend award!! I hope their child recovers quickly!

Hi,

Another thing that is nice is grilled chicken breasts frozen. I would hesitate to buy these now as I couldn't be assured of what they were marinated with. But you could do a bunch for them and freeze them. It sure makes an easy meal! You could wrap them individually so she could take out only what was needed. It's a little work but you sound like a good friend! ;)

You get the good friend award!! I hope their child recovers quickly!

Chicken breasts are a great idea and it's certainly the right time for grilling! I've got another friend with one of those food sealers so we can do them individually. Thank you for the easy meal idea!

Dide

Chicken breasts are a great idea and it's certainly the right time for grilling! I've got another friend with one of those food sealers so we can do them individually. Thank you for the easy meal idea!

Dide

If you want to do some whole meals, you can grill the chicken, then add some butter and broccoli to the baggy, and seal it up, she can just throw the whole bag in boiling water and cooke the broocoli, heat the chicken.... open and serve!

thanks for the recipe :D

Just wanted to make a note that when a celiac writes "Progresso cream of mushroom soup", it's dangerous to substitute for it. Last I checked, Campbell's had 0 or 1 soup(s) that were gluten-free. (And the 1 sure wasn't cream of anything!)

SORRY!!!! Caused panic with Tostitos....I MEANT DORITOS! DORITOS in our area has a "plain" tortilla chip, but it's got wheat starch in it.

SORRY!!!! TOSTITOS are FINE...

Again, apologies!

ALSO...on the Progresso - MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT BUY A CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP LIKE CAMPBELLS. Progresso ONLY. Creamy Mushroom is what it's called NOT Cream OF mushroom. I tried to make that as clear as possible. sorry, if I did not.

If I need any "cream of" soups, I buy Health Valley. I called them and found out that their cream of mushroom, cream of chicken and cream of celery are all gluten free. I buy these at Whole foods. Just thought I would throw that in for anyone who likes casseroles that use cream soups!

Jokamo :P

When my sis (wheat intolerant and maybe Celiac) and my Mom (Celiac) had surgery, we gave both of them the same "kit" for soup.

1 ziploc of cooked ground beef

1 ziploc of grilled chicken breast cubed

1 ziploc of Tinkyada penne pasta, tossed with a bit of EV olive oil to keep it from sticking

1 ziploc of prepared brown rice

1 bag of Parmesan Cheese

1 pot of homemade fresh veggie soup split out into 4 or 5 disposable plastic containers

This allowed them to keep all but one container of soup in the freezer and combine the ingredients into a variety of meals and soups. Both of them mentioned to me that it kept them from getting sick of one dish and let them have soup or cassarole as desired. It was quickly and easily assembled and they could microwave it quickly.

chicken noodle soup w/ tinkyada pasta! got some of that in my freezer right now. enchiladas freeze great! just prepare them in a pan w/ foil inside, then fold up the foil, remove from pan, and freeze. easy to reheat in the oven too. i make a lasagna casserole that freezes well, and tastes great too! just use spiral pasta instead of the big noodles, and mix all your fave lasagna ingredients together.

Here's a really cool one. It tastes terrific and so easy...only three ingredients.

Cook l package of Tinkyada Fetuccini only until ala dente, and drain

Add 1 jar of Ragu Alfredo Sauce

Add 1 bag of California Blend Veggies, thawed and chopped fine

Toss lightly and bake in oven until heated through.

You can always add pieces of chicken if you like, but its terrific just plain. Careful not to overcook the pasta because you will be heating it more in the oven and you don't want the noodles to break up. If you need a little more moisture, just add a little milk. This makes a huge casserole.

You are a very thoughtful friend!