This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Retainer/denture Cleaner

georgiagirl

georgiagirl Rookie

Hi there,

I have been using Efferdent (denture cleaner) to clean my retainer.

It was working great, but I e-mailed the company to check if it's gluten-free, and they said they could not confirm that it is gluten-free.

Anyone know of a gluten-free alternative that I could use to clean my retainer?

Thanks!

Georgia Girl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

A product being gluten free and a company swearing that its gluten-free are two different things.

If you can post the ingredients, I'm sure someone will chime in to help determine if it is safe.

mouth Enthusiast
Hi there,

It was working great, but I e-mailed the company to check if it's gluten-free, and they said they could not confirm that it is gluten-free.

Thanks!

Georgia Girl

Dear Georgia Girl Here is your answer along with some other information that I am going to post tonight.

HI ALL

1- Tone soap is gluten-free

2- ALL Lever Brand Detergents are gluten-free (ie All, Surf, Lever)

3- Dove soap probably isn't. They said to check the label.

4- Aussie shampoo sent a dumb response- with no answer regarding gluten.

5-FINALLY-- Wise Popcorn is gluten-free-- Found out from another Celiac. We went to I Love Gluten Cafe in

Bellmore for Dinner. Was Wonderful.. gluten-free foods are a little expensive- but the regular menu is

not. AND THE PORTIONS ARE HUGE!!!!!.

6- Polident- for dentures or like - Invisaline -"tooth skins" (retainers) is gluten-free.

7- Regular Neutrogena T/Gel dandruff shampoo IS NOT gluten-free. BUT the daily dandruff control

shampoo is.

This was a thing to watch on WEB MD. Gluten-Free Cooking for a Long, Strong Life

Lynn

ps. we are from Nassau Cty too! :-)

• 1 month later...
OceanGirl78 Newbie

Never thought of using a cleaner on my retainers - I just use my toothbrush/toothpaste and brush them (it's what my ortho told me to do)!

juliela Rookie

GlaxoSmithKline"We do not provide a list of gluten free products as formula changes or manufacturing site changes may occur. We ask that consumers call us about specific products to ask this question. As far as Polident tablets are concerned, they are a gluten free product." 4/25/07

Polident tabs are pretty similar to Efferdent Tabs to clean dentures/retainers AND also great to clean your hands after gardening!

Julie

mouth Enthusiast
Hi there,

Thanks!

Georgia Girl

Dear Georgia

We use Polident 3 minute on my daughters retainers. I called them and they also sent me coupons. But, they have a new product out that is a foam to make for fresh breath that is not gluten-free.

gl

lynn

• 1 year later...
sverige avenged Newbie

I just called the 1-800 number for the jhonson and jhonson company about the efferdent anti-bacterial denture cleanser and I was told that the product is gluten free, but they can not assure me that there was no cross contamination in the process of making it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I have been using Walmart's generic version for over two years with no problem.

Archived