3 replies to this topic

#1 whattodo

whattodo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:56 AM

When i had my biopsy of my duodenum they said my duodenal mucosa had flattened. When i saw they photo i could quite clearly see the folds had reduced to ALOT. Almost smoothe.
After being off gluten will my duodenum heal itself to full working order. I understand that this is where alot of the breakdown of food occurs so must be a very important to the digestive system. I am only 28 so hopefully it will heal ok.

Is there anything i can take to help with the healing process, like aloe vera or something

I got a negative result for celiac through the biopsy so it must mean that my villi are still ok. Although they did say my duodenum was inflammed.

The main question is to see if i have gone past the point of return for my duodenum.

Please dont give me any scary post back, i know it may sound silly but i want to know if there are any good to come out of this????

Thanks

Jason
Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:36 AM

You should heal without the gluten in your system. The GI track replaces cells fairly quickly, we see this in the number of folks that get a false negative on endoscopy after being gluten-free only a relatively short time. It is the reason why so many are told to go back on gluten before the endo. As long as there are no other existing problems you should get back to normal. Some GI docs will reschedule an endo at a 6 month or 1 year time span to check the healing. It might set your mind at ease to do so.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

You should heal without the gluten in your system. The GI track replaces cells fairly quickly, we see this in the number of folks that get a false negative on endoscopy after being gluten-free only a relatively short time. It is the reason why so many are told to go back on gluten before the endo. As long as there are no other existing problems you should get back to normal. Some GI docs will reschedule an endo at a 6 month or 1 year time span to check the healing. It might set your mind at ease to do so.

I agree. I just have a follow up endo/biopsy and my mucosa was back in full force! I have been gluten-free 2 years and this is my first biopsy since the initial one. :D
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#4 whattodo

whattodo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:33 AM

I agree. I just have a follow up endo/biopsy and my mucosa was back in full force! I have been gluten-free 2 years and this is my first biopsy since the initial one. :D

Mtndog, did you flatten your duodenum aswell (no folds). i am just trying to find someone who has been in the same boat as me.
Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: