This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Millet

debmidge

debmidge Rising Star

What does Millet taste like? Bland like white rice? spicey? Bitter? Unique?

Have an after-taste?

What "family" is it in? wheat, rice, etc.

Is it coarse? What would I make with it? Breads or desserts?

Does it subsitute well for other ingredients?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Millet is a small, round grain. If you've ever seen millet sprays for birds - that's it. Around a millimeter in diameter.

Different people have different opinions of the flavor. I find it, cooked pain, to be relatively boring and bland, but if dry-toasted first, has a bit of a nutty flavor that is quite pleasant. It gets cooked like rice, though it doesn't take as long, so I like using broth or bullion if serving it as a side dish like rice, or using it in a single dish item, such as a casserole or soup. My husband would say it has an after taste, and I think he likes it less than quinoa. Partially, I think, because I find that the consistency is a little more wet than I'd like most of the time.

I don't remember off the top of my head what family it's in any more, and I'll let you do the googling on that one. :)

spunky Contributor

I've tried it and haven't liked it at all. To me, the flavor is bitter, the grains are a bad size for enjoyable eating, and kind of mealy...texture of undercooked grain of some sort, no matter how long I tried cooking it. Of course, it could have been my total ignorance of this grain that caused my efforts to be bad.

A friend once brought me a package of millet rolls...made from millet flour...and I did like those, but have never found them anywhere in my area.

Guess this isn't really much help...

marciab Enthusiast

I used to eat millet regularly but just stopped recently because I read it has gliadin in it. But, I just googled millet gliadin again, and found conflicting reports ...

Does anyone have the latest ?

I eat a lot of stir frys and I like the taste and texture. It tasted better when I rinsed it thoroughly first though.

Marcia

RiceGuy Collaborator

Millet is one of my favorite grains. I think tofu goes very well with it. IMO it can be flavored easily since it doesn't have a strong flavor of its own. Millet takes about 20-30 mins to cook (I like it mushy, so tend to let it cook a bit more than that). It can be used like a cereal, and I have found that when mixed with Kasha, resembles the taste and texture of Maypo or oatmeal with a pleasantly slight taste of maple syrup. Shedded coconut seems to help in this too.

I also use it in much the same way as rice, though I've found the cooking temp needs to be lower to prevent it from boiling over.

I use millet flour for baking regularly, and I'd say it is nicer than rice flour for texture, as it isn't noticeably gritty at all to me.

And no, there is no gluten in millet. It is also said to be one of the most easily digested and nutritious grains known.

Here's some good info on millet:

Open Original Shared Link

RiceGuy Collaborator

Here's a recipe for millet muffins:

Millet Muffins (From Arrowhead Mills)

1-1/2 cups Millet flour

1/2 cup soy flour

1 Tablespoon baking powder (non-aluminum)

1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

1/4 teaspoon orange flavoring

1 cup water or orange juice

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cups brown rice syrup or honey (or substitute Stevia)

Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix all liquid ingredients together, then add to dry ingredients. Put mixture in well-oiled muffin tins. Makes 12 muffins.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until done.

Murph Newbie

I eat Puffed Millet cereal, found in a bag in the cereal section.

Pretty bland by itself but I add cinnamon and toasted almond slices or slivers, then it's pretty tasty.

(And yes millet is definitely gluten-free)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator
I used to eat millet regularly but just stopped recently because I read it has gliadin in it. But, I just googled millet gliadin again, and found conflicting reports ...

Does anyone have the latest ?

I eat a lot of stir frys and I like the taste and texture. It tasted better when I rinsed it thoroughly first though.

Marcia

From the nutritionist at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University Open Original Shared Link

(listed as safe)

Millet: Dry and airy when cooked with a little water, but moist and dense when cooked with extra water. Bland in flavor, millet readily takes on flavors of foods cooked with it. As a grain as hot cereal or side dish, as flour in baking. High in protein, fiber.

From GIG, a trusted group.

The following grains & starches are allowed:

Rice

Corn

Soy

Potato

Tapioca

Beans

Garfava

Sorghum

Quinoa

Millet

Buckwheat

Arrowroot

Amaranth

Tef

Montina

marciab Enthusiast

Happygirl,

Thanks for the links on millet ... The problem I am having is that some sites DO say that millet can be a problem for people with celiac disease since it contains gliadin. The reason this caught my eye is that the antibody test for celiac is actually looking for antigliadin ...

Open Original Shared Link (This one recomends avoiding buckwheat, amaranth and millet)

Are some sources more up to date / reliable than others when it comes to celiac info ??? Does anyone really know yet ???

I've been sick a long time and since I responded well to eliminating wheat, barley, rye, oats, corn, dairy, eggs, soy, chemicals ( geesh ), I am looking at eliminating all sources of gliadin (possibly all grains, hopefully not) to see if it will help me get over the cognitive problems and fatigue. Millet was easy to give up since I like quinoa better.

Marcia

Kellygirl Rookie

Hi,

I love Millet, I am a vegetarian so I need the protein from Millet. I tried just veggies but I wasn't getting everything I needed.

I make lots of casseroles and find Millet to work well in these casserole instead of a cream base soup or milk I use a veggie cube and millets.

My latest creation is actually pretty good, the original recipe came off of the back of a can of Campbell's soup. I can no longer use the soup, but I fixed the recipe to suite me.

Green Bean Casserole.

I bag of green beans frozen - boil before you put in casserole dish

1 cup of millets

1 cube of mushroom Bouillon Mix

1 cup of water

1 can of mushroom whole or sliced.

Mix all of these ingredients and spinkle 1 cup of shredded extra old white cheddar cheese and 1 can of dehydrated onions.

Bake for 1/2 hour.

I put ranch dressing on it when it is done. I think it tastes GREAT, but my family said I eat like a pregnant woman so I guess it's a coin toss. I have always liked weird dishes, maybe because I am always looking for FLAVOUR.

I think it is great and I am NOT pregnant. Also it is true that Millets do take on the flavour of what you are cooking with, that is what makes them Perfect. You can use them in any recipe you would normally use pasta or couscous. Also Millets are cheaper that Quinona and taste just as good in my books.

Happy cooking!

Kelly

happygirl Collaborator

Marcia,

All I can say is that I trust the Celiac experts on this one, rather than non-Celiac focused sites.

Laura

marciab Enthusiast
Marcia,

All I can say is that I trust the Celiac experts on this one, rather than non-Celiac focused sites.

Laura

Laura,

Thanks. That's a really good point ... Marcia

I almost forgot, millet makes a good substitute for cracked wheat in tabuli too ... I've been cooking it just till it is no longer crunchie, but I am thinking of trying to just soak it in boiling water for 30 minutes next time ...

Murph Newbie

Re: gliadin - did some googling expecting to confirm what I've 'known' (ok, believed) to be true, but ran into an alarming amount of conflicting and outright wrong info.

Personally, I'm positive that the truth is that gliadin is a fraction, or component, of wheat gluten only. Barley gluten's comparable fraction (the one harmful to celiacs) is hordein. For rye, it's secalinin.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
Laura,

Thanks. That's a really good point ... Marcia

I almost forgot, millet makes a good substitute for cracked wheat in tabuli too ... I've been cooking it just till it is no longer crunchie, but I am thinking of trying to just soak it in boiling water for 30 minutes next time ...

Would this work for felalfil I wonder, which normally has bulgar in it?

marciab Enthusiast

Bully,

I had to google felafil ... I didn't find out whether or not millet would work, but I found this recipe .. tee hee ... It looks too good to pass on .. This one uses chick peas ... And one other person posting on the thread I got this from, bakes hers instead of frying them ...

I would imagine, I'm not much of a cook myself, that millet would work anywhere you normally use bulgar though ... Make sure you rinse it thoroughly first though ...

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, chopped

3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped

1 teaspoon coriander

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Salt

Pepper

Oil for frying

PREPARATION:

Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.

Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add baking powder.

Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.

Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

Fry in 2 inches of oil until golden brown (5-7 minutes).

Serve hot.

Serving Suggestion

Falafel can be served as an appetizer with hummus and tahini, or as a main course. Stuff pita bread with falafel, lettuce, tomatoes, tahini, salt and pepper. As an alternative, falafel can be formed into patties and served like a burger.

Serves 4.

I apologize for getting off track here ... :rolleyes: Marcia

I copied this millet pancake recipe from this website months ago, but haven't tried it yet. I'm sorry I can't remember who posted it ...

Here is a recipe that my wife has been making that is delicious AND vegan. The tofu, optional, adds some additional protein, but doesn't affect the taste, so if you are soy intolerant, leave it out:

2 cups millet

2 cups water

1 banana

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

(1/2 to 1 cup firm tofu, drained - optional)

Blend the millet into a powder, place the ground millet, water, banana, maple syrup, and salt into a blender (We prefer the Vita-Mix), and plend until very smooth.

Pour the batter onto a hot, lightly oiled nonstick griddle or skillet and cook until puffed and bubbly. Turn over and cook the other side.

Add some fresh, ripe, blueberries or strawberries to the top along with some additional maple syrup.

Makes 16 3-inch pancakes.

These are absolutely my favorite pancakes.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Would this work for felalfil I wonder, which normally has bulgar in it?

Interesting... none of the falafel I've had or made have bulgar. I've seen a handful of recipes that use it, but more often than not, it's just garbanzo bean (chickpeas) as in the recipe above. (I also bake, rather than fry.)

Archived