21 replies to this topic

#16 cwj-tlj

cwj-tlj

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

The same stuff happened with me until a year ago, when I ran across an ad on a website and then everything made sense. Going gluten free has changed my moods, gotten rid of most of the depression, made the neuropathy symptoms lessen, etc.

The depression comes back if I get glutened, plus a bunch of other things. I've had this for a long time because I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't in the bathroom 20+ times a day.

I just wish my hair would grow back. I was lucky to get super thick and curly hair, it's not quite as obvious that I've lost 2/3 of my hair because it's still thick looking. I have PCOS too, so that causes hair loss and problems, so the hair probably is gone for good. :(

Not necessarily so. Check out the drug spironolactone (if you are a woman). Also great ,but very expensive hair treatment by Jan Marini with spironolactone in it. Hope this helps

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

Forgive me for being naive but what is PCOS?? :) I have lost about 50% of my hair this last year (I am 35) . I suffer like you Doll, suidical all day every day. I find exercise helps a teeny bit, and I have not yet had the tests for Celiac so I am on wheat right now...and don't have any experiences about NOT being on wheat. I have been suffering, however, for 11 years.

I was in college when I first began reacting to foods. And I started to get diahrrea and started having crazy nightmares (I called them acid dreams.. very lucid and wild and colorful) I began having moodswings 3 days up 4 days down, I began to react to vitamins and medicines. So my dr sent me to a shrink, who told me it was all in my head.. and stuck me on some different "mood stabilizers" and they all made me even more suicidal... I tried Wellebutrin, same thing. He thought I was lying to him so I didn't have to take meds... what an egotystical ***. I hate drs anyways... I get so angry when people challenge my integrity you know... I too am college educated and I was floored. and emotionally drained.

So anyways after 11 years of misdiagnosis and sheer misery I can't live like this anymore I have been feeling very desperate. So a few months ago my Grandmother said she thought I was allergic to wheat. (She was an er nurse for 45 years) I decided to do an elimination diet. And sure enough we hit the jackpot! And I picked up a magazine from the health food store that happened to have an article about Celiac in it, I was bored and read it, and sure enough I have ALL the symptoms including the neurological ones, itchy skin rashes, sores in my mouth, depression, diahrrea, constipation, severe bloating, and just being tired and weak and I get bruises easily. And my teeth are starting to get dull I noticed so I am getting tested soon! I have been too sick for too long. And now it's like a HUGE ray of hope. I am NOT the only one and now I have something to look forward to finally

thx guys and good luck with your journeys
sickchick
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#18 kali_mist

kali_mist

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

It's good to know that I'm not crazy and it's probably due to Celiac that I was so depressed and bitchy all the time. My roommate actually noticed a difference in my moods when I started going gluten-free. He said I was a lot easier to be around and everytime I mention cheating and eating a burger or something he reminds me how much nicer I am now. I always had a problem with depression for as long as I can remember. I started taking antidepressents when I was 17 and I finally stopped taking them last year (I'm 25 now). I don't really notice a lot of symptoms when I get glutened (I don't throw up or get the big D) but one thing that does happen is depression. Now it makes sense. I think I will start paying close attention to my moods and use that to gauge if I have eaten something I shouldn't have.
~Julie~
Gluten-free since March 2007
Allergic to: soy, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and mustard

"The sweet is never as sweet without the sour"

#19 Guest_maybe I have celiac_*

Guest_maybe I have celiac_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

It's good to know that I'm not crazy and it's probably due to Celiac that I was so depressed and bitchy all the time. My roommate actually noticed a difference in my moods when I started going gluten-free. He said I was a lot easier to be around and everytime I mention cheating and eating a burger or something he reminds me how much nicer I am now. I always had a problem with depression for as long as I can remember. I started taking antidepressents when I was 17 and I finally stopped taking them last year (I'm 25 now). I don't really notice a lot of symptoms when I get glutened (I don't throw up or get the big D) but one thing that does happen is depression. Now it makes sense. I think I will start paying close attention to my moods and use that to gauge if I have eaten something I shouldn't have.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if I have Celiac b/c my symptoms are mostly behavioral and not your typical ailments. I had some chicken tenders last Sat. and became totally whacked the next day. I am fine now, much better today, dont feel like jumping off a cliff :) I agree that meds mask the symptoms and dont fully work. There are some interesting articles about gluten crossing the blood-brain barrier on the web, some that includes very detailed research and how it can f up a persons mental functions...

#20 MissWingBat

MissWingBat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

Wow, what an interesting thread. I've only just been diagnosed with celiac and as soon I was diagnosed, I stopped taking the antidepressants I was prescribed (by various doctors) because I had 'post-natal' depression.
Should I continue taking them? I have yet started fully on gluten-free diet but waiting to see my doctor.
My partner always jokes he has 3-4 of me, one day happy, the next bad, so should eating gluten-free elimate this behavior? And if I cheat and have something with gluten in it, will I get the mood swings back? We're talking about lethargy, snappy agressive moods, lack of interest in everything (inlcuding my three kids) and frustration. I turn a bit psycho for a couple of days.
thanks and hello from the other side of the world too! :D
Mum to 3 wonderful "mini-me's"
Misdiagnosed for how long!
Dx with celiac disease Aug 2007
gluten-free since Oct 2007 (I'm gettin' there!)

DD1, DS2 & DD3 >> ?
Husband just loves fishin'...
[/color]

#21 Guest_maybe I have celiac_*

Guest_maybe I have celiac_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

Wow, what an interesting thread. I've only just been diagnosed with celiac and as soon I was diagnosed, I stopped taking the antidepressants I was prescribed (by various doctors) because I had 'post-natal' depression.
Should I continue taking them? I have yet started fully on gluten-free diet but waiting to see my doctor.
My partner always jokes he has 3-4 of me, one day happy, the next bad, so should eating gluten-free elimate this behavior? And if I cheat and have something with gluten in it, will I get the mood swings back? We're talking about lethargy, snappy agressive moods, lack of interest in everything (inlcuding my three kids) and frustration. I turn a bit psycho for a couple of days.

G'Day Mate from the capital of the free world, Washington DC! One day I will travel to Aust. I have had all of your symptoms, lack of motivation, depression, aggression. Did you know wheat is one of the eight most common food allergies. As far a getting off of meds, I have come off mine, so I am only speaking from personal experience. You have to go with what you think is best for yourself. But I feel fine, I start to get crazy with anything that has gluten.

Are you feeling better?

Jim

#22 mommyagain

mommyagain

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

Chances are, once you truly go 100% gluten free, you'll feel healthy enough that you won't WANT to cheat! For most people, once you're gluten free, the reactions get worse! I don't know what to say about the meds... I'm generally against meds unless they are absolutely necessary, but that's me. You know your body the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: