This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Haven't Been Here Much

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

I have an elderly friend that has lost all her family and we have been very close for over 30 years. My children have never known a grandmother. I lost my mother as a very small child, so it always seemed to be a good fit...she has been like my mother, had I known one.

She had a hearattack on May 28 and was airlifted to a cardio center two hours away. She is 82 and they can't do a stint, or bipass. There are three main arteries 100% blocked and the prognosis does not look good, as she continues to have silent heartattacks. The doctors are kind and the only thing they can do is give her pain med as necessary. She does have a living will and promises were made by her doctor that he will honor her wishes. She is lucid and knows what's going on. And I hold her health care power of attorney. Wonderful job.

Today they transfered her back to our town and she is in skilled nursing. I am glad that she is here, but not hopeful that she will ever see her home again. Time is the only element here.

The days ahead will not be easy ones. I'm just pretty darn sad. I just gotta be strong. Share your strenth with me. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Aw Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear that! {{{{HUGS}}}}

We'll be here!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Awww Lisa, that is sad....hugs and prayers coming your way. I do hope she gets to see her home again......will be thinking of you. She is lucky to have you. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Lisa,

I'm so very sorry to hear this about your dear friend. It sounds like you are all just like family.

I will keep her and all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you, Lisa :)

mouse Enthusiast

You know that I am praying for you to have strength through all of this. I am so glad that she is still lucid and able to know how much she is loved. love ya honey. We are all here for you.

Guest j_mommy

Lisa,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Jess

AndreaB Contributor

Sounds like a beloved family member. Our thoughts will be with you, your family and her.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I'll be keeping you and your friend in my thoughts.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear about this, it must be tough. :(:wub:

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Sending you lots of hugs and strength, Lisa.

On St. Patrick's Day in March 2003, Nanny (my grandmother) had a massive heart attack at 92 yrs of age. They told us at the time that most people who have that massive of a heart attack in their 70's don't survive, and they told us she had probably 24 - 48 hours to live.

She is now 96 years old and still going strong...... She's Irish and she's stubborn, what can I say?

To top it off even more, it was the beginning of the outbreak of SARS, and she was in the hospital it all started, on the day it all started, in the room next to the person who brought SARS to Canada. We were all quarantined, including Nanny, who they took to some place about 2 hours from here, without her hearing aid, and she couldn't understand why nobody was coming to see her, and she couldn't hear when they were trying to give her explanations about it. She thought on top of everything else, she was abandoned.... We almost went out of our mind with worry, not to mention I had four young children at home I couldn't go near for 20 days! What a nightmare that was......

Bottom line is there is always hope! The only person to make the decision as to when it is our time is the Man Upstairs......

Luv ya and hope you take care of yourself and don't get run down!!

Hugs.

Karen

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

(((hugs)))

Lisa Mentor

Thank you, all of you. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am so sorry to hear this. It is always so hard when someone we care deeply for is so ill. I am glad she has you there for her, I am sure you are a great comfort. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

aikiducky Apprentice

Thinking of you over here...

Pauliina

Cheri A Contributor

((hugs and prayers for her and your family))

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

ohhh Lisa, sorry to hear all this. We are here if you ever need us. My prayers are with you. ((((((HUGS))))))

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Lisa ---

Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry to hear about this. I was just there a few weeks ago, and it's AWFUL. Just remember, regardless of her physical state, she can still hear you . . . and she can still process how much you love her. When you talk with her, and you tell her that you love her, she hears you and she knows.

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I am praying that you will have strength, and that your friend will have a peaceful, loving, "good" death . . . . .

((((((((((hugs)))))))))) to you,

Love,

Lynne

little d Enthusiast

Lisa

My daughter and I will pray for you and your friend while doing her night night prayers. It is always hard to go through anything like this regardless if it is a family member or a family friend who you love dearly. I know that she is in good hands with you taking care of her and God watching over the both of ya'll.

Donna

happygirl Collaborator

Lisa: Just adding another voice of support. I am sorry that you and your family are going through this. Please keep us updated...and we'll be thinking of you.

xoxo

Lisa Mentor

Thanks to all of you that have posted support and continue to have us in your prayers and good thoughts. Children's prayers are especially touching. They are always the best ones. :) There are so many of you, but your gracious support means a lot to me and her distant family.

Miss Hazel's heart muscle is very damages, but knowing her as always a wonderfully good hearted person, it is doing the best it can do. She is eating two bits from every meal and not taking much fluids, but just sips., maybe at best.

This board is so wonderful. Everyone is kind and supportive. We have our little spits and spats from time to time. But we have some really wonderful people here and what good friends I have made.

I talk to one of you today for the first time on the phone and how wonderful it was to "feel" the person behind the words of support that we read every day. Yeah, good folks here. If Rachelville were true?!

Thanks you all again for your added strength, it's there among you. :)

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Sending big hugs through the computer.

Cheri A Contributor

Was just checking in to see if there was an update... Miss Hazel and all of you will continue to be in our prayers. ((hugs))

Mtndog Collaborator
Thanks to all of you that have posted support and continue to have us in your prayers and good thoughts. Children's prayers are especially touching. They are always the best ones. :) There are so many of you, but your gracious support means a lot to me and her distant family.

Miss Hazel's heart muscle is very damages, but knowing her as always a wonderfully good hearted person, it is doing the best it can do. She is eating two bits from every meal and not taking much fluids, but just sips., maybe at best.

This board is so wonderful. Everyone is kind and supportive. We have our little spits and spats from time to time. But we have some really wonderful people here and what good friends I have made.

I talk to one of you today for the first time on the phone and how wonderful it was to "feel" the person behind the words of support that we read every day. Yeah, good folks here. If Rachelville were true?!

Thanks you all again for your added strength, it's there among you. :)

Oh Lisa- You and Miss hazel deserve all the love, hugs, support and prayers in the world. Wish I could be there to hug you.

Lisa Mentor

Miss Hazel is walking (with skilled care) and talking and eating.. No tube in her nose, IV's are gone!!!

All tubes are gone, yeah!!!!.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SENT A WISH FOR HOPE OR A PRAYER.....She may come home. Her condition still exists and it may be day by day. But, she is not ready to leave today and maybe tomorrow.... Yeah, lookin up.

XXoo L

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

LISA...I HAVEN'T BEEN ON FOR DAYS.........SO VERY SORRY.

THIS IS HAZEL WHO HAS THE SHORE HOUSE AND THE ONE YOU ASKED ME TO HELP WHEN SHE CAME TO PA?

GOSH I FEEL LIKE I KNOW HERE TOO.

YOU HAVE A TOUGH DECISION BUT I DO BELIEVE THAT GOD PUTS ANGEL'S ON EARTH TO HELP THOSE OF NEED.

I SURE FEEL YOU ARE HERE EARTHLY ANGEL.

PRAYERS FOR YOUR STRENGTH AND HAZEL'S PEACE.

HUGS

JUDY

Archived