This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anger, Quick Temper, Depression

gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Anyone else have varying levels of gluten reactions? I know when I've been seriously glutened. I practically pass out, vomit, diarrhea, etc. When I touch gluten, my hands break open and bleed. But sometimes I just have a nasty temper, which is not like me, with no other signs of gluten. Everything and everyone makes me really mad. Little issues really make me mad. No patience for anyone or anything. It'll take me a few days of this before I realize that I think I've been glutened, but I don't know where or how. I assume this anger issue is gluten related because I lose my patience, have depression issues, skin feels I need to crawl out of it to feel better from a bad glutening. I'm not angry all the time. Normally I am happy and laugh a lot. But when I get this no patience anger thing I can barely laugh.

Anyone else feel like this? Or is it just me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mushroom

• cyclinglady

• joyjoy

• carriej82

Top Posters In This Topic

• mushroom

mushroom 4 posts

• cyclinglady

cyclinglady 4 posts

• joyjoy

joyjoy 3 posts

• carriej82

carriej82 2 posts

Guest maybe I have celiac
Anyone else have varying levels of gluten reactions? I know when I've been seriously glutened. I practically pass out, vomit, diarrhea, etc. When I touch gluten, my hands break open and bleed. But sometimes I just have a nasty temper, which is not like me, with no other signs of gluten. Everything and everyone makes me really mad. Little issues really make me mad. No patience for anyone or anything. It'll take me a few days of this before I realize that I think I've been glutened, but I don't know where or how. I assume this anger issue is gluten related because I lose my patience, have depression issues, skin feels I need to crawl out of it to feel better from a bad glutening. I'm not angry all the time. Normally I am happy and laugh a lot. But when I get this no patience anger thing I can barely laugh.

From all of the reading that I have done the past month on this subject, there is an amino acid, L-Glutamate, that can get into your blood stream from the intestines and then cross the blood-brain barrier and cause the anger and depression issues. I use to think it was just who I was and part of my personality. I have always wanted to be a person who did not have emotional, mood issues. I definitely think I have Celiac disease and an intolerance to Glutenated food. I am not a doctor nor biologist, I am just speaking from personal experience.

Being angry is normal, but being angry all of the time is not.

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Thanks! So what herbs/medicines do you take to make everything normalize? I know it must be related to some slight glutening issue, but i can't connect the dots.

Thanks! So what herbs/medicines do you take to make everything normalize? I know it must be related to some slight glutening issue, but i can't connect the dots.

My symptoms don't sound as severe as yours. I would normally get diarrhea and my gut prutudes, not obscenely but enough where it is annoying... My symptoms are more neurological as I discussed earlier.

As far as medicines and herbs. I take a Centrum multivitamin, cod liver oil, borage oil maybe once or twice a week. I heard multivitamins can have gluten. I am only new to this Celiac disease for the past month. I am on anti-dpressants, Celexa, but I notice they dont work after I eat gluten, so I am thinking of tapering off the next month or two. I have been on ADs for two rounds before, and they are not a permanent cure. I don't everything can be totally normal, that is just part of life. Do you taken any drugs, supplements, vitamins???

I am thinking of getting Enterolab to confirm my suspicions as I heard bloods tests are hit or miss. My thyroid came back normal. I have been trying to take things into my own hands after continually be misdiagnosed.

I see your gall bladder was taken out, I see a lot of people with Celiac have that happen. My mother in law had hers taken out, so I wonder if she has it too.

missy'smom Collaborator

You are not alone. I am not a nice person to be around when I'm on gluten. Not so much now but in the early stages of healing and years before gluten-free I would get very angry, depressed and impatient. I'm by nature a VERY calm, patient person. Off gluten, I can't even "go there" if I try.

My symptoms don't sound as severe as yours. I would normally get diarrhea and my gut prutudes, not obscenely but enough where it is annoying... My symptoms are more neurological as I discussed earlier.

As far as medicines and herbs. I take a Centrum multivitamin, cod liver oil, borage oil maybe once or twice a week. I heard multivitamins can have gluten. I am only new to this Celiac disease for the past month. I am on anti-dpressants, Celexa, but I notice they dont work after I eat gluten, so I am thinking of tapering off the next month or two. I have been on ADs for two rounds before, and they are not a permanent cure. I don't everything can be totally normal, that is just part of life. Do you taken any drugs, supplements, vitamins???

I am thinking of getting Enterolab to confirm my suspicions as I heard bloods tests are hit or miss. My thyroid came back normal. I have been trying to take things into my own hands after continually be misdiagnosed.

I see your gall bladder was taken out, I see a lot of people with Celiac have that happen. My mother in law had hers taken out, so I wonder if she has it too.

You need to totally avoid Gluten...

• 1 year later...
korie66 Newbie

same problem... my friends and i call it "wheat anger", or "pws" (not pms) post wheat syndrome.

Here's how mine goes like clockwork... I get contaminated food, my stomach burns within 15-30 min then i get super tired, by the next day i barely can get out of bed i have joint pain, muscle pain, muscle weakness, my entire body hurts i get bad sinusitis headaches, my allergies go nuts my brain doesn't seem to function correctly, i have problems concentrating and remembering words i want to say...

as all the goes away and i start to feel better... about 3 days later i have super out of nowhere anger for no reason, everything and everyone pisses me off and i feel like i want to punch things, i don't want people around me, i feel closed in, i have anxiety and am jumpy. I just try to kinda joke it away with my boyfriend, he knows and understands whats up and i try really really hard not to be personally mean to him or anyone else. Then as fast as it comes it disappears 12-24 hours later out of nowhere and i am completely the opposite super happy, goofy and normal again.

I believe it is a total chemical reaction in my brain from the wheat. It is like this every single time i get glutened like clockwork.

I had anxiety all my life, depression, paranoia, i worried all the time, had phobias, and panic attacks. After I took gluten out of my diet ALL of these mental problems disappeared like magic...It was as if I was an entirely new person with less limits and new found mental stability with NO medications ONLY no wheat!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samcarter Contributor

Yes, I would say my irritability definitely went down after I got off gluten. When I am glutened--or, for that matter, eat too much dairy---I get irritated and angry much too easily for my liking.

TiffLuvsBread Rookie
same problem... my friends and i call it "wheat anger", or "pws" (not pms) post wheat syndrome.

Here's how mine goes like clockwork... I get contaminated food, my stomach burns within 15-30 min then i get super tired, by the next day i barely can get out of bed i have joint pain, muscle pain, muscle weakness, my entire body hurts i get bad sinusitis headaches, my allergies go nuts my brain doesn't seem to function correctly, i have problems concentrating and remembering words i want to say...

as all the goes away and i start to feel better... about 3 days later i have super out of nowhere anger for no reason, everything and everyone pisses me off and i feel like i want to punch things, i don't want people around me, i feel closed in, i have anxiety and am jumpy. I just try to kinda joke it away with my boyfriend, he knows and understands whats up and i try really really hard not to be personally mean to him or anyone else. Then as fast as it comes it disappears 12-24 hours later out of nowhere and i am completely the opposite super happy, goofy and normal again.

I believe it is a total chemical reaction in my brain from the wheat. It is like this every single time i get glutened like clockwork.

I had anxiety all my life, depression, paranoia, i worried all the time, had phobias, and panic attacks. After I took gluten out of my diet ALL of these mental problems disappeared like magic...It was as if I was an entirely new person with less limits and new found mental stability with NO medications ONLY no wheat!

WOW I'm so glad someone asked this question, this is something I never thought about. I figure(d) quick-tempered, moody, impatient, etc etc were (are) just parts of my personality, but now that I'm starting my gluten-free diet (and immediately physically I already feel better) maybe I'll realize I'm much more calm of a person??!? I too have CONSTANT headaches (migraines actually) and the joint pain kind of randomly but I have scoliosis so I thought it was associated with that. I also have bad allergies so I typically attribute headaches to allergies.

But I woke up this morning and felt pretty happy, not nearly as exhausted today, and I just generally feel good. How odd that we may become different people after we remove gluten. Controlling my temper is something I worked hard at for as long as I can remember with minimal success - maybe this is the ticket!! :o

shirleyujest Contributor

Korie, you articulated that process so well. I've noticed that my stomach symptoms come first, then there's a whole unfolding thing with various problems. I've noticed several bad temper flares that I haven't felt for so long -- think I got too tired to feel any strong emotions. (lupus and maybe gluten as well, as I'm undiagnosed w/r/to gluten) A couple weeks into gluten-free life my energy was rebuilding significantly, which was GREAT but... also noticed vicious temper flares (throwing things while trying to bake w/rice flour lol come on it's not THAT hard).

Would you tell me something? How long after you went gluten-free did you notice your moods really smoothed out? I'm still having g sneak in a bit, think I've got a handle on how to stay truly gluten-free (99% anyway) and now I'm impatient for the benefits... esp. am looking forward to 1) mastering my own behavior and 2) growing my nails!!!! For those two things alone it's so worth going gluten-free!

hasail Rookie

I'm so glad that there's a topic about this. When I was reading the notes in this thread, I felt I could have written them myself.

When I have wheat/gluten, I have a very short temper. What's worse, I'm a schoolteacher! I have a very rough time keeping my temper with the kids when I've ingested some gluten. And you're right; this doesn't happen right away, but rather, a few days after I've had some gluten.

Also, I have the same kind of joint pain....almost like I'm an arthritic old person...it affects some of my joints, but not others. I especially notice it in my elbow joints, and the arches of my feet.

And I have experiences the brain fog as well. That's a lot of fun when I'm trying to be articulate in a phone call. I start spacing out, I can't think of the right things to say, which is the opposite of how I usually am!

And, I have anxiety, only when I have gluten.

THEN, there are people out there who say that food cannot produce those kinds of reactions with the brain! I beg to differ!

I have found out that since I've started exercising (I'm not a workout buff, just do the elliptical everyday) I can rid myself of the symptoms a little quicker.

But, it's amazing what foods can do to you!

vickysmores Newbie

hi everyone,

i can

• 3 weeks later...
Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi

I've been gluten free for about 3 months now, and one of my worst symptoms was anxiety and depression. Since I've been on the diet, I'm doing great, feeling very positive and energetic, whereas the few times I've been noticeably glutened, its the anxiety that hits me the worst, like a physical tension and sudden bursts of emotion.

I've been doing so well, but tonight it's hit me suddenly. I'm pretty sure i've stayed out of the gluten, but its possible that i've eaten something a bit cc'd. It could just be other stress from stuff in my life, but this is more of a random reaction that I can't pin down.

Samcarter mentioned earlier in the thread that he gets anxious when he eats too much dairy. While I can drink milk no problem, I have found that I get a bit of stomach upset when I eat ice cream or too much cheese. I made gluten-free mac and cheese tonight, which could have bothered me... no. actually, I think it could have been something I ate for breakfast... I'll figure it out.

In any case, I was wondering what a good remedy is for you? to ease the anxiety/anger/emotional outbursts as soon as possible? Multivitamins and omega3's have been mentioned, for a more long-term control. what do you do to get things under control as soon as possible (other than retreating to your room and curling into a ball and sobbing)

thanks for the help. I think we're all evidence that depression/anxiety issues are related to Celiac.

Peg

SusanneG Newbie

Just registered for these forums and was thrilled to find this discussion!!

I have not been very diligent since Thanksgiving in staying gluten-free. I kept thinking I was having just a taste here and just a taste there. But I was not feeling well and I attributed it to being laid off and a host of other stress related events.

About six weeks ago, I finally had a complete emotional melt down. It was absolutely horrible! I didn't make the connection until my mom asked if I have been staying gluten-free. Wish you could have seen the HUGE light bulb over my head. <_<

I had all the symptoms of a major depression, too many to list here but I'm sure you all know what I mean. I had forgotten that gluten has that affect on me when I get too much in my system.

I have been gluten-free again since then and I feel so much better! Even my allergies have cleared up.

I have found that if I remain gluten-free that I am also able to remain med free. There is a definite connection!

Let's behave out there! :)

• 2 weeks later...
JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Oh yes! I am a happy woman with the sweetest husband in the world (though I may be biased) :) I am very active and eat healthy. Before I was diagnosed and started to have symptoms (anemia, fatigue, dizziness, severe abdominal pain, etc) I experienced depression, anxiety, and worst of all was serious irritability, a quick temper, and felt angry most of the time. I would constantly feel irritable and get annoyed or mad at minor things. I think part of it was because I was so tired due to the anemia, but I have read that depression and anxiety can be Celiac-related. Since being gluten free I have not experienced the same irritability and anger issues I used to have.

casnco Enthusiast

Uggg! YES!! I do get quite moody from being cross contaminated. Not just upset cause"darn it" I got glutened again. But, moody, I can't controll it moody. It sucks and no one understands it. my doctor has put me on some crazy drugs. None have helped. So I am learning to cope. If anyone has a solution I am all ears.

Debbie

www.myefusjon.com/1debbie

casnco Enthusiast

Uggg! YES!! I do get quite moody from being cross contaminated. Not just upset cause"darn it" I got glutened again. But, moody, I can't controll it moody. It sucks and no one understands it. my doctor has put me on some crazy drugs. None have helped. So I am learning to cope. If anyone has a solution I am all ears.

Debbie

www.myefusjon.com/1debbie

Natasha H. Newbie
From all of the reading that I have done the past month on this subject, there is an amino acid, L-Glutamate, that can get into your blood stream from the intestines and then cross the blood-brain barrier and cause the anger and depression issues. I use to think it was just who I was and part of my personality. I have always wanted to be a person who did not have emotional, mood issues. I definitely think I have Celiac disease and an intolerance to Glutenated food. I am not a doctor nor biologist, I am just speaking from personal experience.

Being angry is normal, but being angry all of the time is not.

oh yeah, this is a really frustrating part of celiac disease... your body gets so deprived, your brain can't function. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, though since i have been diagnosed with celiac, i am now thinking that this is really my problem. I find that when i supplement with sublingual b12 vitamins (has to be sublingual) that I no longer have that uber-irritable, skin-peeled off so don't touch me, can't control what i am saying, please move faster and get me my coffee, barrista before I turn into a witch feeling that caused me to lose jobs and friends and family

but taking those b12's.....ALL THOSE FEELINGS GO AWAY. I take tons, and then taper off. The exhaustion goes away too.

• 1 year later...
joyjoy Rookie

Hi,

I just joined because i found this thread while googling wheat and anger.

I could have written every post here... I dont know if it's wheat, cause I often tend to eat it with other things like sugar... but it's true, a few days later i want to kill everyone i come into contact with... my belly is bloated and i HATE the feeling of my clothes, especially anything tight... right now i am living in yoga pants...

once i get going though, it's so hard to stop. i know wheat does awful things to me, but i crave it more than anything else.

i only ate raw foods for almost a year and i felt great, no more aches and pains and if i was mad it was for a reason, not just out of the blue!

i'm confused though. i have blood tests done last year sometime and my dr told me i'm definitely not celiac... so what do i do now?

• 2 weeks later...
texasgirl19 Apprentice

OMG Im not alone!! I was just wondering if my anger issues and having a short temper has something to do with gluten. When I eat gluten every little thing makes me mad, :angry: then I start cussing and wanting to punch something.. it is very hard trying to calm myself down. I even tell my professors that some of the stuff they say is the stupidest things I ever heard. That behavior is not me...Im not totally off of gluten, because Im the only one in my family that has this.so its hard not to eat what my family has...other family members are denying they have it though. I think that as long as you try to be totally gluten free it will help.. :)

mushroom Proficient

Hi,

I just joined because i found this thread while googling wheat and anger.

I could have written every post here... I dont know if it's wheat, cause I often tend to eat it with other things like sugar... but it's true, a few days later i want to kill everyone i come into contact with... my belly is bloated and i HATE the feeling of my clothes, especially anything tight... right now i am living in yoga pants...

once i get going though, it's so hard to stop. i know wheat does awful things to me, but i crave it more than anything else.

i only ate raw foods for almost a year and i felt great, no more aches and pains and if i was mad it was for a reason, not just out of the blue!

i'm confused though. i have blood tests done last year sometime and my dr told me i'm definitely not celiac... so what do i do now?

Those darned blood tests have caused more suffering on this earth than I would care to quantify.

Just so you know, they are not infallible. There is a 20% (at least) false negative rate on those tests. And the doctors not only don't tell you that, but they don't tell you that it would be a good idea to give the gluten-free diet a good three-month trial and see how you feel at the end of it. You may not feel 100%, but if you are better than you were before, then gluten is a problem for you, diagnosed celiac or not.

To most doctors, it is either celiac disease or "no problem." This is so not true. Non-celiac gluten intolerance, according to Dr. Rodney Ford, affects as much as 30% of the population in varying ways, and for some of us it is just as bad as celiac disease. For others, we are celiacs "in waiting" - just not damaged enough to show positive on their inadequate tests.

So get yourself gluten free and then come back and talk to us about how you feel. You may (or may not be. given your knowledge of 'your issues') be surprised. :D I tend to think you will find it is gluten (wheat, rye, barley) that is the root cause of your problems. And after you have recovered from that you may possibly find some other foods that bother you. This is not at all unusual. But ridding yourself of gluten is the first step. We can help you deal with the rest later. Oh, and with the gluten, chuck milk, cream and ice cream for a while too, because you may not be able to digest lactose if your villi in your small intestine are damaged.

Good luck to you, and let us know how you do.

• 1 year later...
joyjoy Rookie

wow! I had forgotten about this thread! two years later and I'm still having the same issues. (worse even!)

it's definitely gluten, no doubt in my mind anymore. I'm waiting on tests from enterolab right now, but it almost doesn't matter what they say. I know gluten is the source of all my problems. I'm just so surprised to find a post of mine from 2 years ago!

mushroom Proficient

Oh, I am sorry you didn't come back :( We could have saved you a couple of years :)

joyjoy Rookie

well I was mostly gluten free during that time. every time I slip it's obvious that gluten isn't doing me any favors. so I'm back now!

thanks for such a wonderful resource :)

tennisman Contributor

Sorry you have these symptoms . I have been gluten free for 9 years and I have a ridiculous amount of anger and depression it really sucks.