56 replies to this topic

#16 casnco

casnco

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:15 AM

Anyone else have varying levels of gluten reactions? I know when I've been seriously glutened. I practically pass out, vomit, diarrhea, etc. When I touch gluten, my hands break open and bleed. But sometimes I just have a nasty temper, which is not like me, with no other signs of gluten. Everything and everyone makes me really mad. Little issues really make me mad. No patience for anyone or anything. It'll take me a few days of this before I realize that I think I've been glutened, but I don't know where or how. I assume this anger issue is gluten related because I lose my patience, have depression issues, skin feels I need to crawl out of it to feel better from a bad glutening. I'm not angry all the time. Normally I am happy and laugh a lot. But when I get this no patience anger thing I can barely laugh.

Anyone else feel like this? Or is it just me?

Uggg! YES!! I do get quite moody from being cross contaminated. Not just upset cause"darn it" I got glutened again. But, moody, I can't controll it moody. It sucks and no one understands it. my doctor has put me on some crazy drugs. None have helped. So I am learning to cope. If anyone has a solution I am all ears.
Debbie
www.myefusjon.com/1debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:15 AM

Anyone else have varying levels of gluten reactions? I know when I've been seriously glutened. I practically pass out, vomit, diarrhea, etc. When I touch gluten, my hands break open and bleed. But sometimes I just have a nasty temper, which is not like me, with no other signs of gluten. Everything and everyone makes me really mad. Little issues really make me mad. No patience for anyone or anything. It'll take me a few days of this before I realize that I think I've been glutened, but I don't know where or how. I assume this anger issue is gluten related because I lose my patience, have depression issues, skin feels I need to crawl out of it to feel better from a bad glutening. I'm not angry all the time. Normally I am happy and laugh a lot. But when I get this no patience anger thing I can barely laugh.

Anyone else feel like this? Or is it just me?

Uggg! YES!! I do get quite moody from being cross contaminated. Not just upset cause"darn it" I got glutened again. But, moody, I can't controll it moody. It sucks and no one understands it. my doctor has put me on some crazy drugs. None have helped. So I am learning to cope. If anyone has a solution I am all ears.
Debbie
www.myefusjon.com/1debbie

#18 Natasha H.

Natasha H.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:23 AM

From all of the reading that I have done the past month on this subject, there is an amino acid, L-Glutamate, that can get into your blood stream from the intestines and then cross the blood-brain barrier and cause the anger and depression issues. I use to think it was just who I was and part of my personality. I have always wanted to be a person who did not have emotional, mood issues. I definitely think I have Celiac disease and an intolerance to Glutenated food. I am not a doctor nor biologist, I am just speaking from personal experience.

Being angry is normal, but being angry all of the time is not.

oh yeah, this is a really frustrating part of celiac disease... your body gets so deprived, your brain can't function. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, though since i have been diagnosed with celiac, i am now thinking that this is really my problem. I find that when i supplement with sublingual b12 vitamins (has to be sublingual) that I no longer have that uber-irritable, skin-peeled off so don't touch me, can't control what i am saying, please move faster and get me my coffee, barrista before I turn into a witch feeling that caused me to lose jobs and friends and family

but taking those b12's.....ALL THOSE FEELINGS GO AWAY. I take tons, and then taper off. The exhaustion goes away too.

#19 joyjoy

joyjoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

Hi,
I just joined because i found this thread while googling wheat and anger.

I could have written every post here... I dont know if it's wheat, cause I often tend to eat it with other things like sugar... but it's true, a few days later i want to kill everyone i come into contact with... my belly is bloated and i HATE the feeling of my clothes, especially anything tight... right now i am living in yoga pants...

once i get going though, it's so hard to stop. i know wheat does awful things to me, but i crave it more than anything else.

i only ate raw foods for almost a year and i felt great, no more aches and pains and if i was mad it was for a reason, not just out of the blue!

i'm confused though. i have blood tests done last year sometime and my dr told me i'm definitely not celiac... so what do i do now?

#20 texasgirl19

texasgirl19

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

OMG Im not alone!! I was just wondering if my anger issues and having a short temper has something to do with gluten. When I eat gluten every little thing makes me mad, :angry: then I start cussing and wanting to punch something.. it is very hard trying to calm myself down. I even tell my professors that some of the stuff they say is the stupidest things I ever heard. That behavior is not me...Im not totally off of gluten, because Im the only one in my family that has this.so its hard not to eat what my family has...other family members are denying they have it though. I think that as long as you try to be totally gluten free it will help.. :)
"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
And today we remember to live and to love"

#21 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hi,
I just joined because i found this thread while googling wheat and anger.

I could have written every post here... I dont know if it's wheat, cause I often tend to eat it with other things like sugar... but it's true, a few days later i want to kill everyone i come into contact with... my belly is bloated and i HATE the feeling of my clothes, especially anything tight... right now i am living in yoga pants...

once i get going though, it's so hard to stop. i know wheat does awful things to me, but i crave it more than anything else.

i only ate raw foods for almost a year and i felt great, no more aches and pains and if i was mad it was for a reason, not just out of the blue!

i'm confused though. i have blood tests done last year sometime and my dr told me i'm definitely not celiac... so what do i do now?

Those darned blood tests have caused more suffering on this earth than I would care to quantify.

Just so you know, they are not infallible. There is a 20% (at least) false negative rate on those tests. And the doctors not only don't tell you that, but they don't tell you that it would be a good idea to give the gluten-free diet a good three-month trial and see how you feel at the end of it. You may not feel 100%, but if you are better than you were before, then gluten is a problem for you, diagnosed celiac or not.

To most doctors, it is either celiac disease or "no problem." This is so not true. Non-celiac gluten intolerance, according to Dr. Rodney Ford, affects as much as 30% of the population in varying ways, and for some of us it is just as bad as celiac disease. For others, we are celiacs "in waiting" - just not damaged enough to show positive on their inadequate tests.

So get yourself gluten free and then come back and talk to us about how you feel. You may (or may not be. given your knowledge of 'your issues') be surprised. :D I tend to think you will find it is gluten (wheat, rye, barley) that is the root cause of your problems. And after you have recovered from that you may possibly find some other foods that bother you. This is not at all unusual. But ridding yourself of gluten is the first step. We can help you deal with the rest later. Oh, and with the gluten, chuck milk, cream and ice cream for a while too, because you may not be able to digest lactose if your villi in your small intestine are damaged.

Good luck to you, and let us know how you do.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 joyjoy

joyjoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

wow! I had forgotten about this thread! two years later and I'm still having the same issues. (worse even!)

it's definitely gluten, no doubt in my mind anymore. I'm waiting on tests from enterolab right now, but it almost doesn't matter what they say. I know gluten is the source of all my problems. I'm just so surprised to find a post of mine from 2 years ago!

#23 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Oh, I am sorry you didn't come back :( We could have saved you a couple of years :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 joyjoy

joyjoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

well I was mostly gluten free during that time. every time I slip it's obvious that gluten isn't doing me any favors. so I'm back now!

thanks for such a wonderful resource :)

#25 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:16 AM

Sorry you have these symptoms . I have been gluten free for 9 years and I have a ridiculous amount of anger and depression it really sucks.
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#26 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Oh PWS, that is definitely me, I have been doing fabulously for 3 whole months and have become so very Zen-like. But got cc'd a week ago and am still having wild mood swings and anger issues - it seems like even after the GI issues have resolved, the emotional turmoil lingers on. I will check on some of the supplements mentioned because I while I can deal with the gut problems, this emotional roller coaster is really getting me down.

#27 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:20 AM

That happens to me too. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this...keep a food/symptoms journal to figure out what is doing it to you.

#28 ChristenDG

ChristenDG

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Oh my goodness...like so many others I'm drawing lots of similarities.

I was diagnosed with Celiac on February 6th and I have been gluten free since February 15th! My stomach is feeling better, but that's about it right now...

All my life, since I can remember (yes, even at five years old) I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and suicide. I had to be medicated in my early teens for it, which is when a lot of other symptoms began to develop. By 17 I was taking 300mg of Effexor XR per day, I was a year behind in school (I made it up quickly and graduated on time, fortunately!), I never slept, I spent all my mornings in bed, too nauseated to even sit up, I was always angry, I had severe Mitral Valve Prolapse, constant migraines, and the list goes on really... Eventually I was told I had a severe hyenial hernia, acid reflux, stomach ulcers, and H. pylori. My stomach issues became better after treatment, but nothing else. (I might also add that I nearly died from pain medication overdose because I was so miserable and I couldn't find anything to make the pain go away.) I had to stay on high doses of acid medication, and I stayed in a state of depression and still fantasised about suicide daily. I was an extremely angry person and constantly lost my temper, and I still had constant headaches.

At 21, my best friend talked me into seeing a psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. The medications and "training" my brain have helped immensely, but my temper is still terrible, and I still have severe anxiety (I have to medicate myself more heavily before going out in public), and I still have severe periods of suicidal ideation. I'm now on the highest dose of medication that's possible, I have to take muscle relaxers to sleep, and I have numerous other physical issues that I now find are probably related to Celiacs.

How wonderful it would be if this gluten-free diet would supress the Bipolar Disorder! I've lived in my own hell in the corner of my mind all my life...and to think of the possibility that this could even just help is a wonderful thought! Unfortunately, my father seems to have the same emotional issues as I and he does not have Celiac Disease, so maybe mine isn't related...but still, if it could make it any better... It's so nice to come here and find people with the same problems...to realise that you really aren't alone!
------------------------------------------------
Bipolar Disorder: 02/2010
Celiac Disease: 02/06/2012
Gluten-Free: 02/15/2012
------------------------------------------------

#29 da1anonlykc

da1anonlykc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

I almost cried when I saw this. Im not alone!! I knew I was feeling better physically wise but I never thought all of my anger mood swings and such could be related. Im so happy. Thank you guys. Really.

#30 carriej82

carriej82

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

So glad to have found this thread also!! I feel like I want to hug you all right now. I can add my voice to all of yours that this is a real phenomenon!! I have suffered with depression, anxiety, pendulum like mood swings, suicide idealization, social anxiety, irrational fears, negative voices, obsessive thoughts, explosive anger, chronic fatigue, feeling "drugged" and the like since 12 years old, now almost 30. Oh yea, and bulimia. I always thought I was just a severely dysfunctional and mentally unstable individual, thus leading to very low self esteem. Never understood what was so wrong with me that I could not function like everyone else, or even just feel okay and content for any period of time. I had a great family, parents, and nothing really wrong with my life - no abuse, no dark secrets. Plus pre-12 I was a very happy child, athletic, outgoing, in gifted programs. Made no sense when after puberty I did a complete 180 behavior and personality wise. Mom took me to all kinds of docs and therapists who threw around words like Bi-Polar, ADD, Depression. Deep down I knew I wasn't truly crazy though, or angry, or anything. I just kind of felt like there was another influence over me I couldn't put my finger on. Kind of always felt like I was drowning, just living underwater with no source of oxygen and no idea how to surface.

By God's grace I later found a man who could see past my emotional issues, got married, had 3 children. As a blessing in disguise, my 3rd son was born with severe eczema. Last fall I was researching online what some mothers did to get rid of their child's eczema. Some had success with a dairy and gluten free diet. So I did that for my son, and since I was nursing, I joined him on the diet. I knew nothing about gluten-intolerance or celiac before this. I was looking only for a reaction in my son's skin, but was completely unprepared for the reaction in myself... after 5 days on the diet I woke up feeling clear-headed, energetic, content, and just calm quiet in my chest where there had always been such a storm of worry and turmoil and confusion. It was amazing, and man from that point forward it has been the greatest blessing to discover I am not crazy, it was the gluten all the time. Since then I have not gone completely gluten-free because I wanted to get the blood test and knew I had to still be eating gluten, and I could not afford the test right away. But I would go maybe 1 week gluten-free, then a month off, then a week on. Every time I've been gluten-free all those symptoms have "magically disappeared' just into thin air, as some of you also said. gluten-free I feel totally 100% normal and able to function. Finally had the blood test last week for celiac - results all negative but I know what I have experienced and will now be gluten-free for life if needs be, as long as I see results I will do whatever it takes not to regress back into that psychological prison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: