25 replies to this topic

#1 jmengert

jmengert

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:42 AM

I'm finally fed up with my ongoing symptoms (basically, the big "D") after nearly three years gluten-free. I've decided to see a naturopath who specializes in homeopathy. He seems wonderful, but it's expensive, as my insurance doesn't cover it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on naturopathy/homeopathy, positive or negative? My GI has ruled out things, and I'm just not feeling any better, so I'd really like to go the natural route.

Thanks!
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:11 PM

Naturopath/Holistic is a good choice. Another choice is a good, reputable LLMD (lyme literate medical doctor). They test for many different things, not just lyme.

You want to rule out parasites, yeasts, molds, metals, vitamin/mineral deficiencies. In short you want to see someone who can run all the bloodwork to start ruling things in or out. If you do get tested for lyme it is imperative that you go through Igenex labs and make sure you get a copy of all you test results. Many times people are told they don't have such and such but it really is a problem. You also might want to consider ELISA testing or doing a strict elimination diet (if you haven't already).

I don't know where you live but ART (autonomic response testing) or BioSET may be a good choice as well. ART is advance kinesthiology.

Also, if you'd like, swing by the OMG thread and post about your symptoms, what you've had done etc.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 dlp252

dlp252

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:42 PM

I've recently begun seeing a naturopath and some more integrated doctors. After years of suffering with diarrhea and other digestive issues and having all sorts of testing run by conventional doctors, I turned to the more alternative methods and so far I'm very pleased.

#4 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

Thank you very much for your responses. It's very frustrating to still have problems, and I just don't know what it is now. I've eliminated soy and dairy, and nothing changed. Ugh.

Maybe I'll pop by the "OMG" thread--I was always intrigued by it since I'm still having problems, but I didn't want to barge in to a thread if I was in the wrong place.

Thanks again!
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#5 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

Maybe I'll pop by the "OMG" thread--I was always intrigued by it since I'm still having problems, but I didn't want to barge in to a thread if I was in the wrong place.

No one is in the wrong place on the OMG thread. :D

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#6 geeze

geeze

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

I'm finally fed up with my ongoing symptoms (basically, the big "D") after nearly three years gluten-free. I've decided to see a naturopath who specializes in homeopathy. He seems wonderful, but it's expensive, as my insurance doesn't cover it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on naturopathy/homeopathy, positive or negative? My GI has ruled out things, and I'm just not feeling any better, so I'd really like to go the natural route.

Thanks!

I have started seeing an acupuncturist and am very pleased. He, too, is expensive and my insurance does not cover it. I plan to continue as long as I can but I am also interested in homeopathy. My MD is good but does not know enough about celiac. Hope you do well. G

#7 wildchild_nan

wildchild_nan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

Hi,
I love my homeopathic. If you live in Sacramento, he is worth seeing.
Health Associates Medical Group 916)489-4400 / 800)675-4515
You can actually call, and talk to him between 8am and 9am.
He really believes strongly in the "Eat Right for your Type"
4 blood types, 4 diets, it is really an amazing book.
-Nancy

#8 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:07 AM

Thanks!

I started seeing an herbalist myself. It has been about 4 months and things are SO much better!!!!! The Big D, under control, Intestinal pain gone. I have even had an accidental, cross contamination. The symptoms were gone so fast!!! I also have DH with my celiac. (I like the deluxe version of everythng. :P ) I have not had a break out in over four months even with the CC. That in itself is amazing. The DH I had when I started going to the herbalist was gone in one month. And this was the worst case I have ever had. I even went to the doctor and asked for Prendesone to stop the itch. Of course it worked while I was taking it but came right back afterwards.
So as you can tell, I highly recommend alternative medicine. I think we all need to do what we believe in. But my herbalist is my hero. And best of all, I can afford her. She is very inexpensive compared to the accupunture I used to use.
Good luck. Let us hear your success story after you have seen the naturopath for a while.

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:34 AM

There are many who have a great result from seeing these folks. I am unfortunately not one. I had been seeing a well respected naturopath and acupuncturist in my area. The first visit was a long one and we went into great detail so stupid me I felt safe taking what he prescribed without checking it. Big mistake. The first set of meds he gave me had one that glutened me. When told his response was that there was not enough gluten for it to be a problem, yea right. Figured since I am hypersensitive that after that he understood. I recently got my testing from Enterolab so when I went back I gave him the results and told him that unfortunately I am also showing antibodies to soy and casien. Again I thought he understood. I spent over 70 dollars on more of his 'meds' after I got home there was a clear soy and milk warning on one of them. When I called his office to ask why he 'prescribed' this after we had just had a half hour talk about antibody reactions I was told again that there was not enough of the substances to cause any reaction. This guy has written books, he practices at a local hospital, he is one of the most respected in my entire state but he is clueless when it comes to intolrances. As with any medical proffesional in the US we must use caution and common sense as too many are really uninformed about our needs and for some reason reluctant to listen or learn.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 confusedks

confusedks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

I have had good and bad experiences. You HAVE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE GOOD. But even that sometimes is not good enogh. You need someone who speciallizes in whatever you need help with. For example, I went to an herbalist before my celiac dx and she suggested I add spelt bread to my morning breakfast!! It obviously made me way worse and I felt AWFUL! Then I went to another guy in her same office and he told me NEVER To put gluten in my mouth again (which my Dr. had suggested in the interim, so I was already gluten-free). But at least he was better than she was...that is like killing a Celiac. She also made me herbs (they do muscle testing to see which ones you need) and they made my stomach worse and gave me more D. So, my point is that you have to make sure they are really confident in what they are doing. I went to another herbalist today and she again was useless, even though she came very highly reccomended. The mistake we made was not calling her to see if she could deal with the complexity of my case (even most MD's can't). Good luck!

Kassandra
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#11 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

I agree that its important to look for someone who specializes in the areas which are pertaining to your particular health needs.

I did see one Naturopath more than 2 years ago and I did not benefit from my visists with her. She did not put me on any supplements since I was already taking stuff on my own....but she really wasnt knowledgable in the areas which I needed her to be.

If she *had* been knowledgeable she would have been able to determine what things we should test for in order to give me a diagnosis. Instead she just agreed with my self-diagnosis of candida and left it at that. She didnt attempt to look into underlying causes which may have been causing the candida situation in the first place.

I now have 4 people that I'm working with...a great team of alternative Dr.'s. I cant say enough good things about alternative medicine....these Dr.'s have served me well. :)

They are actually not all naturopaths.....two of my Dr.'s are MD's....however they have shifted their focus to alternative methods of healing rather than conventional.

Anyways, my first experience wasnt anything to get excited about but now that I'm seeing some very good Dr.'s who have a great deal of experience in treating chronic illness...I'm feeling very blessed. :)
Rachel

#12 AdrianMills

AdrianMills

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:55 AM

After a little browsing on these forums I'm very much disturbed by the number of people that are in favour of homeopathic remedies.

For those that are unaware and are considering homeopathy as an option I would suggest you first perform some critical research on the subject. Although there are many good articles out there, this one sums things up quite nicely; http://www.badscienc...-kind-of-magic/. You can also find lots of interesting tidbits on http://www.randi.org/.

#13 miles2go

miles2go

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

Hi Adrian,
I certainly wouldn't want to take away your right to be disturbed by whatever you wish. However, I am a strong believer in the medical arts and as such, embrace alternative medicine when it seems appropriate. I would not seek a homeopath for a heart condition, celiac or anything else that might prove fatal - I do have enough faith in current Western medicine to use that. On the other hand, I have found quite a bit of relief through yoga and homeopathy for my radial tunnel syndrome and naturopathic/homeopathic remedies for the onset of colds. There is much more than a placebo effect going on when I take a course of homeopathic remedy for flare-ups of the radial tunnel syndrome. My father is a physical chemist, so I can just imagine how this rocks the hard science world. Whatever makes a person in pain feel better, without the detriment to their overall health is something that I believe any responsible person should pursue.
Sincerely,
Margaret

#14 AdrianMills

AdrianMills

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

Margaret,

I mean no disrespect when I say this but all the scientifically valid trials have shown that there is absolutely no difference between homeopathic remedies and a placebo. This is not the same as saying that there were no noticeable effects at all as it has been shown that placebos can have a physiological impact although they are always quite minor. At best the majority of the more bizarre alternative methodologies like homeopathy are useful for nothing more than the feel good factor they engender in believers.

And actually, I would not class Yoga in the same category as homeopathy (okay, well at least not the physical and some meditative aspects); it is an excellent exercise and stress relief system.

As for your comment that, “so I can just imagine how this rocks the hard science world”, well, it doesn’t. Rock the science world that is. Any information that you’ve had to the contrary is, I guess, misinformation from homeopaths.

I find it telling that you say, “I would not seek a homeopath for a heart condition, celiac or anything else that might prove fatal.” After all, if it works as they say, then it should work for everything that they say, heart disease included, right? ;)

My very best regards,
Adrian

#15 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

Thank you very much for your responses. It's very frustrating to still have problems, and I just don't know what it is now. I've eliminated soy and dairy, and nothing changed. Ugh.

I did that, too. My digestive issues finally ended up being the result of bacterial dysbiosis and Bartonella (a coinfection of Lyme Disease).

I also recently took Humaworm and had a tapeworm! :o Humaworm is a great product that gets rid of various bacteria, parasites, and yeast in the intestines. Maybe it would be a help.

The other thing is to take a good probiotic. I take VSL#3, which has 450 billion organisms.

I originally tested negative for celiac disease and do not carry the gene. Now that I've treated these other problems, my severe gluten intolerance has gone away completely.

Thanks again!

You can't barge into that thread! Everyone is welcome!

At the same time, it's good to post in the forum so that everyone can learn from your issues. Many are intimidated by the size of that thread .... but all are welcome. :)
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: