This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Fast Foods?

mama2two

mama2two Enthusiast

My daughter and i are planning a trip to the mall, she has been looking forward to this and we will be there around lunch time, I was wondering if anyone know of any gluten-free fast foods available out there? Or should I pack a lunch? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lob6796 Contributor
My daughter and i are planning a trip to the mall, she has been looking forward to this and we will be there around lunch time, I was wondering if anyone know of any gluten-free fast foods available out there? Or should I pack a lunch? Thanks!

Sure :)

Open Original Shared Link

Just a few... type in any chain fast food joint into google, go to their nutrition page, and they usually have a section for allergens :)

kbtoyssni Contributor

There's not a whole lot at the mall to eat, unless you just want ice cream and soda. I'd be inclined to bring your own food. When my family used to picnic we'd have crackers and cheese and tomato and cucumber. It was something special that we didn't get every day.

Guest j_mommy

Stay away from Chinese places! If you know which places there are....call ahead and ask! Are is there a dedicated Fry Fryer ect!

Good Luck and hope you have fun!

mama2two Enthusiast
Sure :)

Just a few... type in any chain fast food joint into google, go to their nutrition page, and they usually have a section for allergens :)

thanks, this is very helpful. we usually go to chik-fil-et (however they spell it) so I will check for the list online, I am hoping she can get a grilled chicken patti and fries. thanks again!!

Guhlia Rising Star

Chik-Fil-A or whatever has a gluten free menu online. :) Just be sure that the location you are going to has a dedicated fryer for their french fries.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

question--what at arbys can we eat? looked like just the sauces on the website. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lob6796 Contributor
question--what at arbys can we eat? looked like just the sauces on the website. :blink:

Actually, I just took a closer look at the Arby site and sent off a letter to them. They have wheat and gluten listed as two different allergens. And they say their popcorn chicken (breaded! hello!) contains wheat but not gluten... um ok....

lob6796 Contributor

You have to use the drop down menu to get to the rest of the foods. Things like fries, potato cakes, etc are listed as gluten/wheat free, but now I don't think I would trust any of their nutritional info. Plus, I am sure they do not have a dedicated fryer.

dionnek Enthusiast

Jamocha shake! That's the only thing I will order from Arbys anymore :)

Michi8 Contributor

New York Fries are gluten free. So are their cheese sauce and gravy*! Last time I was at the mall I had their Veggie Works Fries - yum! Now, if they'd just serve hot dogs without wheat filler. :)

Michelle

Note: *The gravy my local New York Fries is gluten free. They have an ingredients list for customers to check, and it listed that the gravy is thickened with corn starch (or was it potato starch?)...definitely no gluten. The manager at this location said they have a lot of celiac customers who order the poutine. :)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

If you have a boardwalk fries, they only make fries.

confusedks Enthusiast

The only fast food ill eat is in n out because its a dedicated fryer. I don't eat at other places mainly because of other allergies but I would love a shake!!! If only I could eat dairy. :(

Kassandra

janelyb Enthusiast

Does anyone know if just the roast beef meat is gluten-free at Arby's? It never mentions just the meat on their site on the sandwhich.

lob6796 Contributor

Just wanted to update you all on the letter I sent to Arby's. I received this tonight:

Dear Ms._____:

Your comments registered to our Guest Feedback system were forwarded to me, Charles Papa, Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs Compliance Officer for Arby

Juliebove Rising Star

I think it depends on what all you have at your mall. Some are better than others. My daughter has additional allergies and at our mall, the only thing I can find for her to eat is potato chips. There used to be a potato place where you could get a baked potato with assorted toppings. Not any more. If I were you I'd play it safe and bring something to eat.

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

Well guys hate to burst anyones bubble here but....since i was dx'd with DH have eaten at Arby's(after awhile of being gluten-free) and they made me sicker then a dog for 3 days....

I had cheese stick's and junior roast beef, had more of the sandwhich then stick's so DON"T order either of them just to be safe :(

And have I mised someting about Mc D's?

Last I knew they were full gluten due to their grease (son worked there for awhile til the cooking got him glutened bad)

Let me know !

Michi8 Contributor
Well guys hate to burst anyones bubble here but....since i was dx'd with DH have eaten at Arby's(after awhile of being gluten-free) and they made me sicker then a dog for 3 days....

I had cheese stick's and junior roast beef, had more of the sandwhich then stick's so DON"T order either of them just to be safe :(

Last I knew they were full gluten due to their grease (son worked there for awhile til the cooking got him glutened bad)

Let me know !

I'm confused about what you're saying here. The roast beef sandwich and the cheese sticks have obvious gluten ingredients in them...why would you have eaten them after going gluten free?

Michelle

Juliebove Rising Star

Let me know !

Um... Why would you eat a sandwich or cheese sticks when both contain gluten?

And IMO, McD's is not a safe place to eat if you have gluten issues or food allergies. The only thing I can think of that would be safe are the apple slices that come pre-packaged. But I suppose even those could be bad if the person touching the bag has gluten on their hands.

kevsmom Contributor
Does anyone know if just the roast beef meat is gluten-free at Arby's? It never mentions just the meat on their site on the sandwhich.

I've watched the workers at Arby's. They do wear gloves, but do not change them between making orders. They will touch the beef and put it on a roll and then go right to making the next order. So if you just get the meat, it will be cross-contaminated from the previous order's roll. It also means that the whole stack of beef is contaminated from the gloves.

Cindy

• 3 years later...
meatslayer Newbie

New York Fries are gluten free. So are their cheese sauce and gravy*! Last time I was at the mall I had their Veggie Works Fries - yum! Now, if they'd just serve hot dogs without wheat filler. :)

Michelle

Note: *The gravy my local New York Fries is gluten free. They have an ingredients list for customers to check, and it listed that the gravy is thickened with corn starch (or was it potato starch?)...definitely no gluten. The manager at this location said they have a lot of celiac customers who order the poutine. :)

I just ate New York fries, not sitting so well. I never eat deep fried, so maybe that is it but I looked it up from NY fries web site:

I have celiac disease. Can I eat your product?

We use no coatings or preservatives in our fries, and we cook our potatoes in 100% pure sunflower oil, so technically we do not have any gluten in our fries. However, there is gluten present in our stores in our seasonings on the front counter and in our sauces, so there is a small chance of cross contamination.

scarlett77 Apprentice

The only fast food we do is In & Out. We don't have a Chik-a Filet (sp?) here and most of the other places around here either don't have dedicated fryers or nothing my toddler will eat is gluten-free. But we are lucky enough that our mall has a PF Chang's (with an awesome gluten-free menu and service) and BJ's which offers gluten-free pizza. Usually when we go to the mall I either bring food or we go to PF's. We haven't been to BJ's yet, but they just started offering gluten-free and we haven't had the opportunity to check it out.

Tay Tay's Momma Newbie

I am sooo brand new to this, but I was asking that question on the way home from biopsy with Taylor who was insisting on a happy meal for the toy. A nurse told me to get him a double cheeseburger with no bun. It was messy, but he ate most of it.

Mizzo Enthusiast

I have worked in Arby's and Mcdonalds. I don't care what their menu says they are NOT safe. Cross contamination is very likely, practically positive.

My opinion, pack a lunch it is the safest.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Ditto for having worked at McD's. Just don't do it..everything is all over everything, and I have yet to see a dedicated fryer (there is a steel divider but the oil passes through the back). I didn't even want to attempt making myself something to eat because there were crumbs everywhere from the buns.

Archived