This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

So All Of My Blood Work Came Back Perfect,

ami27

ami27 Apprentice

I got a call back from the nurse and that's what she said. She said that my doctor would recommend an MRI and/or neck xray if the symptoms continue. Now I feel like I'm imagining it. I have been having numb, tingling feelings in my hands, cold all the time, my skin feels cold to the touch even when no one else is cold (my husband has commented on this), loss of appetite, nauseated and I've been tired/weak feeling. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Ami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor
I got a call back from the nurse and that's what she said. She said that my doctor would recommend an MRI and/or neck xray if the symptoms continue. Now I feel like I'm imagining it. I have been having numb, tingling feelings in my hands, cold all the time, my skin feels cold to the touch even when no one else is cold (my husband has commented on this), loss of appetite, nauseated and I've been tired/weak feeling. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Ami

Dear Ami,

I have these symptoms as well. I may have Lyme Disease. Mercury poisoning can cause these symptoms as well. An overgrowth of Yeast Candida can also result in these symptoms. Often, all three of these are present at once. That does not necessarily mean if you have one you have them all, though.

Have you been on birth control, antibiotics, and/or steroids in the past or recently? That may have caused Candida. I have it. This is a nasty thing to deal with. It irritates a lot of things.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

ami27 Apprentice

The more I've thought about this I think it's stress related. I have never had anxiety that I know of, but I think that's what's going on now. I'm getting married in less than a month (7/7/07). I have a very stressful job. I also have a very stressful ex-husband that has just reappeared in my life to reclaim visitation rights to our children that he hasn't seen in over 2 years. So I have a LOT of things going on that I think is causing me to feel overwhelmed and causing the nausea, loss of appetite. I think my hands are feeling like they are from excessive typing I've been doing at work (maybe carpal tunnel). The coldness I'm not real sure about. But, I'm going to work on stress relief and hope to feel better soon.

Ami

PS - I know I referred to him as my husband above, but really he's not for another month ;)

NoGluGirl Contributor
The more I've thought about this I think it's stress related. I have never had anxiety that I know of, but I think that's what's going on now. I'm getting married in less than a month (7/7/07). I have a very stressful job. I also have a very stressful ex-husband that has just reappeared in my life to reclaim visitation rights to our children that he hasn't seen in over 2 years. So I have a LOT of things going on that I think is causing me to feel overwhelmed and causing the nausea, loss of appetite. I think my hands are feeling like they are from excessive typing I've been doing at work (maybe carpal tunnel). The coldness I'm not real sure about. But, I'm going to work on stress relief and hope to feel better soon.

Ami

PS - I know I referred to him as my husband above, but really he's not for another month ;)

Dear Ami,

Stress can certainly add to any illness. Those circumstances certainly do not help anything! Even so, I used to think I was just stressed out or depressed. Doctors put me on practically every anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication known to man. I finally got off all of that junk. When I came out of the medicated fog, I realized I was physically ill, not mentally ill. Try some meditation, and eat well. If you still do not seem better after a while, it is time to explore other possibilities.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

jknnej Collaborator

You could also have a wheat allergy wthout having Celiac Disease. Have you had a food allergy test done?

grey Explorer

So your B12 was fine as well as your Celiac panel?

Stress does add to everything, but that doesn't mean you aren't sick TOO. And malabsorption can cause depression & anxiety. My first celiac test several years ago showed nothing (I did have a b12 deficiency) and I didn't even know the doctor was testing me for it with this blood test this time when it was pos. and I had a pos. biopsy. It takes a long time for the damage to show up, I think. With B12 too - the newer studies show that you can have neuro. symptoms very early before the deficiency is where a lot of doctors would even treat it (ie, some would call it low normal even). Is the MRI for the tingling in your hands? Or do you have pain too? Your stuff sounds a lot like what I had to go through (I had all these symptoms).

Make sure you get a copy of the actual results of the labwork from your doctor. I don't think you're imagining things. There may be different causes, but you're probably not imagining the symptoms. But I know the feeling that people can give you and it can make you feel bad about yourself and doubt yourself - don't do that to yourself in addition to the stress you've got. These are real symptoms - no matter what there're caused by.

I really hope you figure things out soon and feel better!

Ami

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Ami,

I agree with what the others said. I do not have a wheat allergy. It is gluten causing the trouble. The problem is, many doctors rely too heavily on inaccurate bloodwork. Many labs mess these tests up.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ami27 Apprentice

I should clarify. I was only trying to find out why I've been nauseated, cold, having no appetite, tingling, numb hands and fatigued. I was diagnosed with Hypothroidism back in 1999 and have been taking Armour since then. I wanted to make sure that my levels for that were still ok. I get them checked every 3-6 months. I also eat a gluten free diet already because I have had such positive results with it. I was thinking that my b12 or iron may be low. So I was surprised that my doc found everything to be normal. I had allergy tests done and was found to only be mildly allergic to oats, peaches and a few spices that I don't use. I was not allergic to any pollen. I don't plan on taking anymore medication. I will find natural ways to relieve stress and wait for the stressful things to pass and see if I get better. I appreciate all of your responses and will keep them in mind. If I'm still feeling like this after the wedding and the other stresses pass I'll look further into these things.

Ami

chrissy Collaborator

ami----there is a test that can be done for carpal tunnel---i am having it done next week. it is a nerve conduction test and should be able to tell where the numbness that i get in my hands is coming from----either the wrist, elbow, or shoulder. i also get nauseated easily----sometimes i think it is from reflux problems, other times i KNOW it is from emotionally upsetting things. (sometimes when i end up in tears i feel like i will throw up)

if you can't find natural things to relieve the stress, there is no weakness is taking medication to relieve it before it gets worse. it's really hard to come back from a total breakdown----been there, done that.

NoGluGirl Contributor
ami----there is a test that can be done for carpal tunnel---i am having it done next week. it is a nerve conduction test and should be able to tell where the numbness that i get in my hands is coming from----either the wrist, elbow, or shoulder. i also get nauseated easily----sometimes i think it is from reflux problems, other times i KNOW it is from emotionally upsetting things. (sometimes when i end up in tears i feel like i will throw up)

if you can't find natural things to relieve the stress, there is no weakness is taking medication to relieve it before it gets worse. it's really hard to come back from a total breakdown----been there, done that.

Dear Chrissy,

My mother had that test done. She ended up needing surgery. The Carpal Tunnel can really cause trouble. It got to the point she was almost completely numb at times. It is unreal! The test is a good one.

Dear Ami,

We hope everything goes smoothly for the wedding! It is a lot of stress. Preparing for them is a lot of work. Your Thyroid certainly is something that can add to the mix. I have Thyroid trouble as well. I just got my tests back, and I have all of the symptoms I get when my Thyroid is hyper, but the bloodwork came back fine. How odd is that? :blink:

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

sfm Apprentice

Ami

I went through something similar with my ex-husban - twice, since our divorce. He disappeared for several months each time, then suddenly wanted to be back in my children's lives - no apology, no explanation to them. It's very stressful to have situations like that.

Having said that - since there are also physical conditions which could cause symptoms such as yours, I would be careful about labeling it stress or anxiety without knowing for sure.

It's great that you are getting married again - best wishes to you!

Sheryll

loraleena Contributor

You should not be relying on test results alone for thyroid. The tests are not accurate. You should be having your Thyroid peroxidase antibodies checked. They should be under 20. This alone shows hashimotos hypothyroidism (autoimmune). All my tests are normal, but my antibodies are still high and I still have some symptoms. So, I need to keep increasing my meds.

NoGluGirl Contributor
You should not be relying on test results alone for thyroid. The tests are not accurate. You should be having your Thyroid peroxidase antibodies checked. They should be under 20. This alone shows hashimotos hypothyroidism (autoimmune). All my tests are normal, but my antibodies are still high and I still have some symptoms. So, I need to keep increasing my meds.

Dear loraleena,

Mine is hyper, but my tests showed nothing. The panel did not consist of anything but the T3 and T4 hormones. TSH was not done. That is where it showed up the last time. My heart is pounding, I sweat like crazy, have double vision, and the tests showed nothing! :blink:

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived