This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Response From Dekuyper

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I thought this posted before, but apparently not...unless I didn't look hard enough.

Thank you for your inquiry concerning potential allergic reaction to

gluten in our cordial products.

Our cordials are made with distilled spirits that are primarily made

from a corn base. They may also from time to time, contain small

amounts of small grains such as wheat or rye. It is known that Gluten

can be found in the small grains such as rye, barley, oats, etc.

However, it is generally accepted that the process of distillation

excludes gluten in the finished product.

People with celiac disease may have a permanent intolerance to gluten.

Jim Beam Brands does not advise legal age adults whether or not to drink

this is a decision you may want to discuss with your physician if you

have questions. Your physician may be able to provide personalized

advice about this issue based on the ingredients and processes that go

into making our cordials.

Thank you for your inquiry about our products.

Sincerely,

Beth LaCaeyse

Customer Service Department

What do you think? Worth the risk?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

This is the same thing as the question about whether distilling makes vinegar started from wheat gluten-free. Every thing I've seen said it does. I don't worry any more about vinegar (except malt vinegar) or distilled spirits.

richard

• 10 years later...
mynxr Rookie

I know the view on vinegar/alcohol is that the distilling process makes it "gluten free".  However, I react to it if it's not distilled from corn, rice or potatoes.  I know I'm in the minority but there those of us out there that the distillation process doesn't make it safe.

kareng Grand Master

I know the view on vinegar/alcohol is that the distilling process makes it "gluten free".  However, I react to it if it's not distilled from corn, rice or potatoes.  I know I'm in the minority but there those of us out there that the distillation process doesn't make it safe.

Please note - this thread is from 2004. Any product info is at least 10 years old.

• 3 years later...
Joy Vail Newbie

Hi, I'm here right now because I got glutened from drinking a cocktail with peach schnapps. Tonight and last weekend. I couldn't figure out what caused it, so I inspected everything after I ate, steak & potato, the only thing left was the drink. My bet is that it was a cheap American schnapps in my drink tonight. It was delicious, but I won't do it again. When in doubt, avoid these alcoholic beverages until you're sure of what you're drinking. 

ravenwoodglass Mentor
On 3/10/2018 at 1:30 AM, Joy Vail said:

Hi, I'm here right now because I got glutened from drinking a cocktail with peach schnapps. Tonight and last weekend. I couldn't figure out what caused it, so I inspected everything after I ate, steak & potato, the only thing left was the drink. My bet is that it was a cheap American schnapps in my drink tonight. It was delicious, but I won't do it again. When in doubt, avoid these alcoholic beverages until you're sure of what you're drinking. 

It is also possible you got glutened at the resturant.  Even if you previously have eaten there with no problems staff changes or can get lazy about changing gloves etc. That said there are some rarer celiacs that react to even distilled gluten grains. You could try getting a small bottle and making the drink at home where you know it is safe and have a small glass to know for sure.

Archived