8 replies to this topic

#1 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

Just called Hodgson Mills and they were very nice, but not especially confident that their buckwheat flour would not have any wheat residue. They go through a serious cleaning process, but all their flours are ground on the same stones. That seems pretty risky to me. Anybody using it successfully? I unfortunately called them AFTER I mixed up a nice bread recipe with their flour and I sure hate to throw it all out.

If Hodgson is not OK, what company does have safe buckwheat flour in your experience? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hopper-boy

hopper-boy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

Just called Hodgson Mills and they were very nice, but not especially confident that their buckwheat flour would not have any wheat residue. They go through a serious cleaning process, but all their flours are ground on the same stones. That seems pretty risky to me. Anybody using it successfully? I unfortunately called them AFTER I mixed up a nice bread recipe with their flour and I sure hate to throw it all out.

If Hodgson is not OK, what company does have safe buckwheat flour in your experience? Thanks!

The Birkett Mills: America's #1 Producer of Buckwheat Products
They only grind buckwheat. They are the world's largest buckwheat mill.

The Birkett Mills
163 Main Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527
email: custserv@thebirkettmills.com
315-536-3311

http://www.thebirket...s.com/index.htm

Hodgon's Mill are like Arrowhead Mills they grind the entire buckwheat seed, hulls included, and produce a dark buckwheat flour. Birkett Mills, and New Hope Mills produce light buckwheat flour where the non-digestable hull is removed from the flour.

There are two Hodgon's Mills, the original one built in the 1860's which is not capable of producing grain products, and that everyone sees in photographs. Then there is a modern factory building owned by someone else in a nearby town which uses the old mills name, and image to sell their modern made flour using electricity.

Ted Hazen
Pond Lily Mill Restorations Main Content Page
http://www.angelfire...mill/imenu.html

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

The Birkett Mills: America's #1 Producer of Buckwheat Products
They only grind buckwheat. They are the world's largest buckwheat mill.

The Birkett Mills
163 Main Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527
email: custserv@thebirkettmills.com
315-536-3311

http://www.thebirket...s.com/index.htm

Hodgon's Mill are like Arrowhead Mills they grind the entire buckwheat seed, hulls included, and produce a dark buckwheat flour. Birkett Mills, and New Hope Mills produce light buckwheat flour where the non-digestable hull is removed from the flour.

There are two Hodgon's Mills, the original one built in the 1860's which is not capable of producing grain products, and that everyone sees in photographs. Then there is a modern factory building owned by someone else in a nearby town which uses the old mills name, and image to sell their modern made flour using electricity.

Ted Hazen
Pond Lily Mill Restorations Main Content Page
http://www.angelfire...mill/imenu.html

I have to second this, another company called Pocono is also in the same area and makes a great buckwheat 'cream of wheat'. I live a few miles from these folks and the products are well worth looking for.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:13 AM

Bob's Red Mill also makes buckwheat flour in their gluten free facility.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#5 hopper-boy

hopper-boy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

Bob's Red Mill also makes buckwheat flour in their gluten free facility.

I've tried buying stuff from them and it was rancid!

#6 pamelaD

pamelaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

I was definately glutened by the Hodgson's mills buckwheat flour.

I added some to Pamela's pancake mix to make buckwheat pancakes and had a definate gluten reaction.

P

#7 hopper-boy

hopper-boy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:05 AM

I was definately glutened by the Hodgson's mills buckwheat flour.

I added some to Pamela's pancake mix to make buckwheat pancakes and had a definate gluten reaction.

P

From the Kitchen of Theodore R. Hazen, Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Quick Bread.

3 Cups of Light or Dark Buckwheat Flour.
2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder.
1 1/2 Teaspoon of Cream of Tarter.
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda.
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg.
!/2 Teaspoon Ginger (optional).
1/4 Teaspoon Salt (optional).

2 Large Eggs.
1/2 Cup of Black (Dark) or Light Molasses.
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract (optional).
1/4 Cup packed Light or Dark Brown Sugar or 3/4 cup of Buckwheat Honey.
1 cup Fat Free Sour Cream .
2/3 Cup of Buttermilk.

Optional Ingredients:

1 Cup Chopped Walnuts.
1/2 Cup Apple Sauce.
1 Cup of Raisins or Cransins.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and bake at 325 degrees for one hour in a greased and dusted loaf pan. It is very similar to Old-Fashioned Ginger Bread. Serve as such.

#8 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

I've tried buying stuff from them and it was rancid!

You should call the company immediately!! I order from them regularly and if there's ever any problem with your order, they will fix it right away. They accidently sent me a case of chocolate cake mix instead of the brownies and when I called, they told me to keep the case and they's sent the correct case that day--I recieved it 2 days later. They've always been great with us...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#9 hopper-boy

hopper-boy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

You should call the company immediately!! I order from them regularly and if there's ever any problem with your order, they will fix it right away. They accidently sent me a case of chocolate cake mix instead of the brownies and when I called, they told me to keep the case and they's sent the correct case that day--I recieved it 2 days later. They've always been great with us...

This is stuff that I bought from a health-food store in Virginia Beach. So who knows how long it has been stored on a shelf or where it has been.

I would check out the website of the Birkett Mills. We love their Cream of Buckwheat. Buckwheat is the only thing that they have milled for over a hundred years. It is just not just "Gluten-Free" it is also "Organic." Their Cream of Buckwheat is a million times better than Bob's Red Mill similar product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: