Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:06 AM

But if gluten isn't the culprit how come all of my symptoms, including the DH I had for more than 20 years, went away when I quit eating gluten? Not that it matters, but I have gotten the flu shot every year (except this year) since I last got the flu 18 years ago. 18 years ago I did not get the flu shot and boy was I sick.

richard

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:26 AM

celiac disease was identified long before the flu vaccine was available.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 llj012564

llj012564

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 05:37 AM

I dont do flu shots :huh:

#5 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:01 PM

I don't do them either, I never have, although I probably should since I am prone to getting some extremely nasty flus. I'm just kind of nervous to have something injected into my body that I've never had before, for fear of allergic reaction or it making me sick or making one of these diseases of mine act up somehow (celiac disease as well as Colitis, and a problem with tachycardia.) Is that even a realistic fear?

Anyway I've never had one...do the rest of you get them?

#6 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:05 PM

I got flu shots in 2003 and 2004 and I was diagnosed with celiac disease in March 2004.

This flu shot theory is interesting to me. I've had celiac disease-like symptoms for years (probably since I was 13 or 14) but most of them seemed to worsen and I developed more celiac disease symptoms after my first flu shot in 2003. The sickest I have ever been with celiac disease was a few weeks after my first flu shot last year.

Just some questions though, are you theorizing that someones first flu shot in 1999, 2001, or 2003 (or the first one in 10 years) may trigger celiac disease? or make it worse? and why those years?

I'm interested to see the results of your study!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#7 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 09:55 PM

i can definitely say no flu shot "gave" me celiac. never had one, got diagnosed when i was 18.
gXf since november 1998

#8 red345

red345

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:04 AM

In response to the question as to whether or not the flu shot could trigger Celiac Disease, the answer to your question would be, "No." However, flu shots do contain thimerosal, which does contain mercury. Ammonia is there, too.

Depending upon the batch you received, sources outside the US will tell you that there was a higher than normal level of Thimerosal in the years I mentioned. Going on that premise, I was merely in search of something that would explain for the response in Cytokines and an open ended reaction with Nitrogen, as it would relate to Celiac Disease. I am merely looking for some further supportive evidence for my larger theory once I have it wrapped up. Thanks for your responses.

#9 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:36 AM

;) never had a flu shot here either :( sometimes i wish i had, but not yet :) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: