Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Flavoured Teas

11 posts in this topic

hi,

i have recently found that drinking tea really soothes my stomache. especially peppermint tea... for stomache aches and bloating, really helps. and i am starting to get a little bored with always drinking this flavour, so i was goign to drink some blueberry tea i found in the cupboard. but then i saw that there was flavouring in the tea packet. do you worry about flavour in tea? i cna't think of what could be in tea bags that would have gluten??

Ads by Google:

yep, if it says "natural flavor", I call.

Also, make sure the tea bags are stapled at the top vs. glued. The glue contains gluten. This was a tidbit I didn't know about that I learned at our local celiac support group meeting.

Mom 2 2

Celestial Seasons is a company that will clearly list any gluten. Usually the problem in tea is barley, which is usually listed.

I know that Mom22 was told at a celiac meeting that the glue in teabags has gluten but I think this is an old celiac urban legend (was this a CSA group?). I can tell you for certain that not ALL teabags with glue have gluten because early on I called several companies and asked. None had gluten. One even told me that the kind of glue made with wheat wouldn't hold together in hot water, but I can't say for sure that's true. This was more than two years ago so I don't remember which ones.

richard

Yep, I've had many "glue tea bag" companies tell me that they do NOT use gluten. Never found one that did. richard, I think you're right that the "glue" would dissolve in water if it were made from wheat.

I use a lot of Celestial Seasonings Teas, since they clearly label (on the bottom of each box) GLUTEN FREE, for the flavors that are gluten-free. I have found quite a few teas with Barley added to them, so you do have to be careful. I just carry a small tin of tea bags in my purse, so if I want a hot tea (and I am unsure about a certain brand at a restaurant or a friends house) I can still have my tea.

God bless,

Mariann

Hmmm... thanks for the input Richard. This was at a Celiac Support Group meeting. I'm going to have to look into this further myself, as I was going on what was said. Thanks.

Mom 2 2

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I think that is a great idea to take tea bags in your purse to restuarants... then you dont' have to worry. Sometimes i feel like a "freak" though having to take all my "special things" with me everywhere. Oh well! Better safe than sorry :)

Whew! I just had a major panic attack! My favorite Celestial Seasons tea is Tension Tamer.

According to the CS website:

About the Tea

100% Natural

This product contains all-natural herbs and flavors, and no artificial colors or preservatives. Gluten Free. Naturally Caffeine Free

YEAH!!

Smiles from NH ~ Lisa

Go Boston Red Sox!!!!

ALCS Champs!

careful with tazo teas at starbucks, though, most of their flavors are NOT ok (per their company - if you have a question about a specific flavor they'll let you know)

i like gwayaka yerba mate orange blosem

it is gluten free and very good :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Looking For A Family In The Houston Metro Area
      Hello again!! I am now looking for TWO families in the state of TX who know about the celiac disease. We have two students from Europe and we have to find a host family for each student, the host family has to know what a celiac disease is about and be willing to host a student and give them support and guidance for 10 months. Thank you guys!! For more info, you can email me at hdoyle@icesusa.org
    • Kidney disease question
      GFR ranges are very strange.  We went through this with my husband.  Did you notice in Icelandgirl's link that there is no range that is considered good and normal?  I just had mine tested and the report said that normal was > 60.  As your report says, your value is only a problem if there is other evidence of kidney damage.
      Hi Matt I'd love answers to this one too. My own levels have varied since I have been monitored, over the last three or so years.   I asked my GP about this and I seem to recall she said to me that levels of hydration affect this number.  i.e. when my figures were in the 90s it was because I was super-hydrated. When my numbers were in the 70s she wasn't worried, either! I'm hoping someone with a better knowledge of these matters will chime in but the last time I was tested my gastroenterologist was very pleased with my kidney and liver function numbers - so it seems to me that when my own numbers were in the 70s on a couple of occasions I must have been  less well hydrated when I had the test those times? And that these numbers are therefore subject to variation.     
    • New to this gluten-free life
      Kareng is correct.  There are also a number of good reference books on celiacs and gluten free issues.  Also several magazines.  The main thing is to find out the hidden and unusual sources of gluten, and also to be very careful when eating at restaurants.  I got glutened quite a few times at restaurants before I learned to triple check and began to find safe places.  Good luck. 
      Hi Matt, Since celiac impacts the whole body...I think kidneys are affected.  I have kidney stones and they are super fun(not) and my urologist says that it's fairly common with celiac and malabsorption.  I don't know specifically about kidney disease, but when I was in the hospital passing my stones...prior to passing, my GFR was around 60.  A few weeks later when my doctor did bloodwork it was 87.  Here is some info that may help.   https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/gfr
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Olivia