This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight And Waist Loss Going Gluten Free

Guest maybe I have celiac

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
Went from 128 to 102. I'm 5'9" so it's pretty depressing, everyone thinks I have an eating disorder.

I know what you mean. Have you tried counting your calories? I realized at one point I was getting about 1200 calories a day...so I ate more. Carbs and grains have a lot of calories, so when we lose those, it's hard to eat enough. Veggies are calorie light.

Anyway, I added potatoes (which i since had to cut out since their night-shadiness was bothering me) - and that would keep me up - quitting them too me down...weight wise. Now I eat millet bread every day to up the calories.

Good luck. By the way, I'm 5'9 too and about 120 at this point - have you been checked out to be sure there is nothing else going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

EBsMom Apprentice
lost 20 lbs... getting worried was 135 now 115 I cut out all junk in my diet since becoming a celiac.. I hope it's just a better diet and nothing more serious. will consult Dr.. in a few month unless I drop even more..

That's how I feel. I've lost 17 lbs (and counting.) I'm assuming that it's just the diet. I do work out, but no more than I did before. It's unsettling to lose weight so quickly. I got a complete physical a month ago....everything looked fine. I'll be interested to see where this levels out.

Rho

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Last week I found out I am going to be going gluten free the rest of my life. I also put on 10 lbs in the last month. It has only been 5 days actually but the weight gain was getting worrisome on top of everything else. I hope you all are right about the weight loss, of course I might actually have the energy to do something about it now!

• 2 weeks later...
DianeChristine Newbie

I've never had a gluten problem before, but then I got pregnant (miscarried), which triggered my allergy. I gained about 10 pounds, not knowing what was going on. I got so sick, I lost 10 pounds from not eating. But then my older sister got diagnosed with celiac so I got tested, and found out I was. So I stopped eating gluten and kept losing weight. I've lost 30 pounds total.

HouseKat Apprentice

Since I went gluten-free on September 2nd, I've dropped one pant size. :) My weight has only dropped a few pounds, but I think that is because I'm gaining muscle mass as I lose the fat. (Muscle weighs more than fat, so you can actually put on pounds as your body gets slimmer.) I really need to start working out to accelerate the process.

• 3 weeks later...
jnessa055 Newbie

well here is my story. i was dx when i was 3 with celiac disease but as i grew up i never stuck to the diet. so almost 17 years later here i am ready to do something about it! i have stuck to my diet for about 1 1/w weeks and i have lost 7lbs! i am 5ft 2in and i weighed around 140 and i now im around 133. i hope to be back down to 117 before xmas! 15 more pounds to go!

MyMississippi Enthusiast

It seems to me that the ONLY proven way to loose weight and keep it off---- is to go Low Carb, like the Atkins Diet ( done correctly, not the extreme)---- I've never been very overweight-- but since going low carb, or in my case just LOWER CARB( than my normal HIGH CARB diet---)

I've lost the extra weight and now am at a normal weight for my height-- 5' 8"----, size 8

---

My doctor said she thinks the Atkins diet is NOT harmful when done correctly. And it can help prevent Type 2 diabetes.

THe Atkins DIet book is worth reading.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aligray Apprentice

I have lost 34 pounds in eleven months on the gluten-free diet. I definitely had weight to lose. That's for sure. When I found out I had Celiac i decided that if i was going to have to cut all that stuff out of my diet, i would be real careful what i reintroduced. I only have dessert as an occassional treat. O no longer overeat and i feel better. I also cut out breads, even gluten-free ones. I eat very healthy now.

hathor Contributor

For a different point of view, you may be interested in the research findings from the National Weight Control Registry. This records people who have maintained at least a 30 pound weight loss over a year. Here is a link to a list of their abstracts:

Open Original Shared Link

Here is a summary of what these people did:

No Atkins there.

Also look at what the slender and healthy people of the world eat.

Re: Type 2 diabetes --

Again, look at those areas of the world essentially without this disease and what they eat.

(This is the same diet used effectively by Drs. Esselstyn and Ornish, both of which have been published as peer-reviewed studies, to reverse heart disease, that is actual shrinking of arterial plaques. No other diet has done that. People who eat this way rarely get heart disease.

There is a new metastudy about cancer prevention, but the site where I had the link isn't working right now.)

I know of no long term study of either the effectiveness or safety of the Atkins diet. I believe it is being done now by the Atkins organization. Of course, I seriously doubt they will compare their results to something like the McDougall (low fat, vegan) diet, but only to the general population or modified SAD (Standard American Diet) eaters. There are some good things in the revised Atkins diet vis-a-vis the SAD (like no trans fat or refined carbs and lots of green leafy veggies each day), which will make it hard to tease out the effect of the other recommendations on health.

I have found this, however:

The conclusion of this study: "Prolonged consumption of diets low in carbohydrates and high in protein is associated with an increase in total mortality."

For a different view of Atkins & weight loss:

Obviously, I have a different POV as to what constitutes a healthy diet or how one should lose weight. I tried a high protein diet years ago and got terribly sick and I know others that experienced the same thing more recently following Atkins. With my diet, well, I'm at a size 0 and have maintained that for a long time. I've also eliminated several health problems. My husband has also lost weight and improved his health. Other successes: Open Original Shared Link

People will have to look at the evidence and make up their own minds. This subject cannot be adequately covered by short posts on a discussion board :D For what I think is an excellent online lecture by a dietician, watch:

hathor Contributor

OK, my link is working now. The cancer study is over 500 pages or something like that. I've yet to plow through that. :lol:

But here is the summary:

For those with lots of time on their hands or the desire to look at the evidence on any of these recommendations:

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I think that whether or not a low-carb diet works for a person depends on their metabolic type. Protein types will do well; carb types will not. It's probably a good place to start with any eating plan. I think I'm protein type. I can't stand to miss a meal (get cranky or tired); think about food all the time; crave the dark meat (even if I "think" it's gross); etc.

Dr. Mercola has a test, but it is not free...I think it's 27.00, and it's not out yet. I pre-bought it, because I think there's a lot of sense in what he's saying. He didn't invent the "Metabolic Typing"....there is a book, maybe Eat Right For Your Metabolic Type...something like that.

No one thing is good for all people. Or as Hippocrates said, one man's food is another man's poison. Women too.

• 2 weeks later...
byrmanson Rookie

With regard to being overweight wtih gluten senstivity, I have had a hard time accepting that I could be a "bigger girl" and have a gluten sensitivity. After all, "aren't people wtih this allergy supposed to be underweight?" I would tell myself. The more I read, it seems that many, many people have been chronically bloated and HELD ONTO food b/c of SLOW DIGESTION rather than food passing too fast and weight loss? I'm also wondering if not absorbing or processing correctly can cause people to overeat / crave foods in order to get enough of what the body needs. This is my new theory, and I'm wondering if I'm thinking correctly on this?

Regardless, I'm wondering if a gluten sensitive can be a cause of having been overweight the majority of my adult life (since about age 19)? Input?

I am 5'8'' and weight almost 190.

A healthy weight for me was about 150. 140 would be fabulous on my frame and with my "athletic" build.

Archived