This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Agitation When Glutened?

cdfiance

cdfiance Explorer

I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gdobson Explorer

Hey Ryan,

Agitation is actually one of my son's biggest and most problematic systems. It lasts a couple weeks for him where as the stomachache is gone in a couple days. He just seems to be so angry I can only think to compare it to severe PMS (not sure that helps you relate). Mad at the world because he feels so miserable.

But I would have to say that yes, after you get good and cleaned out, your reactions do seem more severe. And I have heard the creepy crawly scenario before.

Best wishes to you and Alex.

Gina

aikiducky Apprentice

I recognize that as well, although in my case it's often more of a sudden angry madness, or a sudden drop into a depression... but I also have that not bearing to be touched. It's weird because at the same time I'd really like to be comforted and reassured but I just can't bear any sudden touching...my husband can hug me if he does it very slowly and gently.

For me the worst usually passes in a couple days, but my mood is affected for a couple weeks after, I'm a bit more down than usual. I've learned to just live with it and accept that it's not me, it's the after effects of gluten, and it will pass.

Pauliina

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

Ryan,

When I get glutened, I get really anxious. I freak out about all kinds of things, more worried than angry, but irrational.

I don't think it was symptom, but all my symptoms have gotten dramatically stronger since going gluten free.

Geoff

cdfiance Explorer

Thanks for letting me know that the anxiety and agitation are somewhat typical symptoms of gluten ingestion. I guess I should never underestimate the evil power of gluten. I thought Alex's symptoms were confined to GI issues but I guess not. The combination of exhaustion and insomnia seems particularly evil and unfair.

I'm hoping the effects don't last too long and that it is a long, long time before she gets glutened again. We had done so well had avoiding gluten for almost 5 months! Thanks again, it's good to know what she's going through is "normal".

Ryan

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

You just described my reactions! Want to be held, but also feel the need to crawl out of my own skin. Absolutely nothing helps me to calm down. Everything seriously agitates me. The quick temper and agitation seem to take forever to go away. I could deal with the intestinal problems, but the skin thing and agitation just drive me crazy. I take motrin and it helps some. I assume something must be flared up and bugging me when I get angry for no known reason. Gotta love the side effects!

• 3 weeks later...
laurabelle Newbie

My son also displays a great deal of agitation and depression shortly after glutening. We actually discovered his gluten intolerance because of his behavior changes. He was on a candida/ allergy elimination diet this past winter. During this time he became a pleasant, affectionate (hugs daily from son a very big plus)

able to focus, and a much better friend. Wheat was the first food we tried to add back in, I just never imagined he would react to it or that it was the cause of so much of his behavior for so many years. Within a 1/2 hour of eating wheat he was angry, paranoid, totally spaced out, and generally annoying. Then later the diareha started in. I can usually tell now within an hour or so if he has had any gluten just by his behavior alone. It really has made such a huge difference in our lives. I have more patience and worry less that my son is heading down the wrong road forever. My son feels better because he is finally more able to control himself and when he has chosen to gluten he is beginning to really see the consequences for himself. Knowledge is key when parenting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
crosstalk Newbie

Anxiety is a *big* issue with me, and when I experience a food intolerance it sets in about four hours after i eat. I also can get very impatient and irritable. I continue to have some residual anxiety problems. I do not know if this is caused by an undiagnosed thyroid issue or not at this point, but I am planning on looking up a doctor shortly.

Teacher1958 Apprentice

I can totally relate. In the past before I was gluten free and when I get glutened now, I feel very agitated, like I want to jump out of my skin. Since the warmer weather arrived and I've been gluten free, I had forgotten how much I was bothered by freshly shaven legs until yesterday. I felt almost like my legs were buzzing with electricity. I know it sounds really bizarre, but it's true. Fabrics, tags in clothing, etc. could nearly drive me mad. Argh!

Meemsy Rookie

Ive only been gluten free for a short time, but I got glutened tonight while out to dinner (ugh, I haven't been this uncomfortable in a while). My husband started telling the kids to hurry up because we had to go home ASAP and I thought he was completely nuts. He knew I ate something before my stomach knew it! He said I get very irritable and snappish when I don't appear to be in a complete fog before I get sick. I really thought he was exagerating, but now that I read this I guess I have to admit he is on to something.

buffettbride Enthusiast

I love when there's a thread like this that is so timely to what I'm going through!

My DD spent the night at my FILs this weekend, and although FIL and SMIL have tried to "get it" about gluten they still just "don't." My SMIL even said she didn't understand how "something like a crumb of bread could cause such damage." Unfortunately, I forgot to use the analogy of, "You wouldn't eat just a little rat poison, would you?"

Anyway, she went to the movies yesterday and had a Sprite and some popcorn (which I'm thinking is the problem--I would have brought our own if I had taken her but I didn't know they were going to go until after all was said and done) and came home not with tummy symptoms but totally in emotional meltdown-mode and her skin felt creepy-crawly.

She's still feeling a little "off" today emotionally and was complaining this morning of tummy troubles (her breakfast at home was Cream of Rice and gluten-free dried apricots). She says it doesn't feel like she got "glutened" and blames the apricots (liklihood of CC is low).

Before going gluten-free she had HUGE issues with becoming an emotional wreck and has definitely been more stable since eating gluten-free. To me her emotional state is WAY more noticeable when she gets glutened than any other symptom (and I thought she was just a drama queen...)!

• 2 weeks later...
JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I can totally relate. In the past before I was gluten free and when I get glutened now, I feel very agitated, like I want to jump out of my skin. Since the warmer weather arrived and I've been gluten free, I had forgotten how much I was bothered by freshly shaven legs until yesterday. I felt almost like my legs were buzzing with electricity. I know it sounds really bizarre, but it's true. Fabrics, tags in clothing, etc. could nearly drive me mad. Argh!

I used to get that too, I started using an electric razor and it went away. Turns out I just have really sensitive skin, that doesn't handle a razor well. The only other way I'm able to shave is in a bath and pour a bunch of cocoa butter oil or baby oil or something in and shave under water, it keeps the blade from cutting you. Unfortunately I no longer have a bathtub, so I'm stuck with the electric. Hope that helps.

(sorry off-topic!)

Archived