This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Roast Beef In Crockpot

adeboer

adeboer Newbie

Hi:

My girlfriend has celiac disease.....she can't eat anything with wheat flour/gluten in it....I would like to make beef roast in a crock pot - but the onion soup mix I bought has wheat flour in it.....is there a substitute I can use or doesn anyone have a roast beef recipe to share??

Thanks.

Adrian

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom22 Apprentice

The last I checked/used the Lipton's Onion Soup mix in the envelope was gluten-free.

adeboer Newbie

Ok - here are the ungredients on the Liptons Onion Soup mix box:

dehydarated onions

salt

potato starch

monosodium glutamate

corn syrup solids

autolyzed yeast extract

colour

canola oil

natural flavour

disodium guanylate

disodium insinate

hydrolyzed soy/corn protein

citric acid and sulphites

may contain traces of milk ingredients

Still gluten free??

Thanks.

Adrian

mommida Enthusiast

Just made a similar dish yesterday. Without a soup mix. Some people react badly to msg.

cut up onion, add it to pan to sear/brown the meat

Good time to add your gluten free spices

Salt, pepper,

the more you let it brown the darker the gravy

cut up your vegetables (potatos, celery,carrots, mushrooms, whatever)

MASSEL better bouillon concentrate (found at the health food store)

figure out how much to add by your liqiud.

add water to the bottom of skillet to get onion and meat flavor

Pour it all into crock pot

about ten minutes before serving when the liquid is bubbling.

i dip a measuring cup in a drain off some liquid

quesstimate how much liquid is in the pot, add corn starch

whisk in measuring cup and add it back to the pot

pour slowly to make sure no corn stach lump goes back in

It will return to boil and thicken

Serve

Guest gfinnebraska

I cook my pot roast in the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup concentrate over it ~ with a little pepper. Currently I do not know of a concentrate that is gluten-free ~ any help out there??? For now I am just watching my family enjoy it!! :( What else is new?? Any help would be appreciated!

lovegrov Collaborator

Lipton onion soup mix is gluten-free.

In addition, Lipton is a Unilever company. Unilever's policy is to always clearly list in any gluten in the ingredients. In other words, wheat or barley won't be hidden in something like natural flavors.

richard

Mom22 Apprentice

Adrian,

Yes, Lipton's is gluten free and Richard confirmed, as well. So, surprise your girlfriend with a gluten free roast beef dinner, you can make baked potatoes with Breakstones sour cream, or Hungry Jack mashed potatoes, a fresh veggie and a tossed salad.

P.S. Don't forget a single stemmed rose to really make the evening complete!

Mom 2 2

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest barbara3675

Is cream of mushroom soup gluten-free? It sure isn't on my list of safe things to buy at the grocery store!!! I just make up some boullion with Herb Ox and put that in the crock pot with the veggies and the roast, some salt and pepper and cook all day. Then you can thicken the liquid with corn starch or potato starch for gravy at dinner time.

Barbara

mommida Enthusiast

The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods by Bette Hagman has a recipe for cream soups.

I don't think I can legally post it on the net.

Laura

Mom22 Apprentice

Barbara,

I have yet to find a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup. :(

Mom 2 2

lovegrov Collaborator

Progresso mushroom soup is gluten-free, or was last time I looked. It is not a concentrate so is not as thick as Campbell. But you could thicken it.

richard

kabowman Explorer

Has anyone made their own beef broth? I found a canned broth in the natural foods section of the grocery store (can't remember the brand) that appeared to be completely safe for all my food intolerances and I still got sick (I used to use french onion soup for my crock pot base). I cannot use Lipton soup mix due to other food intolerances and this would really open up my fall/winter cooking!

-Gluten

-Lactose/Casien

-Soy

-Corn

-Peanut

-Vinegar

-MSG

I bought beef ribs at the new butcher shop and found some recepies on the Web but was looking for personal experience.

Thanks in advance...Kate

lovegrov Collaborator

I've made my own chicken broth. Some chicken, bones, old vegetable parts that I froze, instead of throwing away, onion, garlic, and various spices to taste. Salt, pepper, oregano, basil. Cook for a long time and then strain. Very tasty. I have not done beef broth but think the procedure would be similar.

richard

kabowman Explorer

I do make my own chicken broth regularly, very similar to how you say. However, I attempted to make some beef broth and it just didn't turn out--at all. I gave it to my dog who actually LOVED it! I had used a chuck roast on the "opinion" of the grocery meat cutter - I talked to a real butcher this time and he said to use the beef ribs instead.

Just boil with some veggies, salt, and pepper like the chicken???? I like my broth a little plain so I can add spices and garlic to what I make with the end result...

-Kate

tarnalberry Community Regular

yep, to make a good stock, you need to have bones in there. and you don't want the highest quality meat because you want to pull the fat and collagen out of there. (that's what makes real stock gel when you put it in the fridge - the collagen that's been simmered out of the bones and cartilage during the hours it's one the stove.) since beef can be a stronger flavor than chicken, you may want to consider adding some of the other ingredients up front, and don't forget a bay leaf or two! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
Sharon C. Explorer

I live int he US- I could swear I saw something on the Lipton mix here. I remember putting them in a bag to give away when I had to clean out my cabinets after my son was diagnosed.

Maybe I misread something.

Sharon

• 3 months later...
TeachK71 Rookie

Hi!

The Gluten Free Pantry makes a French Onion Soup MIx. It comes in a container similar to a spice bottle. I got it at a health food store that carries gluten free pantry stuff. You can order it off of their website if you can't find it locally. Open Original Shared Link

Cooking Light had an awesome pot roast recipe that could be made in the crock pot. I have made it twice and just modified it by using a gluten free beef soup base by Glutino

Open Original Shared Link and quinoa pasta instead of the egg noodles.

Here is the recipe: Beef Daube Proven

Archived