26 replies to this topic

#1 Cheri A

Cheri A

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

My mom is in town visiting us and has been looking into the Mannatech products. She's brought some CDs and reading materials for me to look into. I was just wondering if anyone else has looked into these glyco-nutrients? Are they gluten-free?
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

I see that there have been a few people viewing, but no comments yet.

Here is a link, if the board gods will let me, of some more information.

http://www.glyconutr...tonutrients.php
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

#3 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

The glyconutrient powder is gluten free, along with all of their other products. Great nutritional products well worth considering in my opinion. Lots of science.

Just looked closer at your bio, though. The glyconutrient powder is in a base of rice starch. Might be a problem if allergic to rice? Some of their other items do contain soy and/or dairy.

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:03 AM

I am not familiar with Mannatech or glyco nutrients....if you have a moment could you give some info as maybe others don't know and would want to try this or find that they should be using this, etc.

I read some of the link but I always like to hear from the info from the person who really uses the stuff......

Thanks...
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#5 Karwei5

Karwei5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

Mannatech is not my favorite company. Their marketing techniques are questionable.
I would look at other companies that have similar products.

I don't think they have the science to prove anything they claim.
That is only my personal opinion.

Karol

#6 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

Mannatech is not my favorite company. Their marketing techniques are questionable.
I would look at other companies that have similar products.

I don't think they have the science to prove anything they claim.
That is only my personal opinion.

Karol

I do not wish to debate this on the board beyond this response, but respectfully, they most certainly DO have the science - and lots of it. Mannatech is a network marketing research and development company with one of the best state-of-the-art research laboratories in America. Some of the largest companies in the United States, including many nutraceutical firms, use direct marketing as their sales model of choice. And many of these companies, including Mannatech, are respected members of the Direct Selling Association. It's only the fraudulant pyramid companies and similar scoundrels who have received the most press and caused obvious trouble. Mannatech was named as one of the top growing corporations in America and is highly respected in the science world.

World renowned experts like Dr. John Axford, M.D., of the Royal Society of Medicine, a world recognized expert in the field of rheumatoid disorders was so impressed with Mannatech's scientific efforts with glyconutrition that he joined their board of directors to help direct further investigative efforts. Dr. Ben Carson, Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at John's Hopkins University and Professor of Neurosurgery, Oncology, Plastic Surgery and Pediatrics, has stated that Mannatech's glyconutritional products helped save his life by strengthening his own body's ability to regenerate itself. There are many other notable medical professionals with similar opinions.

Anyone who wishes more science is welcomed to PM me. But back to the topic of this thread. Mannatech's glyconutrition involves nutritional elements that we don't get enough of in our sad modern diets, put into stabilized supplement form and made credible by a composition of matter United States patent and patents in 19 other countries. Glyconutrients are not drugs, totally non toxic and not designed to cure anything. But better nutrition will help anyone who is deficient and celiacs certainly qualify since many of us are highly malnourished from years of malabsorption.

I hope this helps to answer the original question.

#7 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:49 AM

Dear Gentleheart: thanks, your answer about the product helped me understand it. That's what I was confused about.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#8 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:31 AM

Mannatech is a big scam, and they actually make false claims about all kinds of things, including nobel prize bestowance, and the fact that glyconutrients can cure ANYTHING. DON"T waste your money! Check this out:

http://www.ratbags.c...t/mannatech.htm
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#9 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:12 AM

Mannatech is a big scam, and they actually make false claims about all kinds of things, including nobel prize bestowance, and the fact that glyconutrients can cure ANYTHING. DON"T waste your money! Check this out:

http://www.ratbags.c...t/mannatech.htm

I promised not to debate this further, but it is difficult to let this go without one more reply. Please forgive my briefly going against my former intention.

I looked at the website provided. I am wondering about the medical or research credentials of the person expressing such inflammatory opinions and is he/she someone we can be confident has honest wisdom and personal experience in this new technology? They have a perfect right to express their opinions on their own site, but with all due respect, it does appear that they have a bit of an agenda regarding several subjects.

Direct marketing doesn't honestly need defending. Many great corporations who we do business with everyday are structured the same way. We just don't realize it. Any time you have a representative going out and networking with the public in the hopes of a commission sale of a product, you have direct marketing. Pharmaceutical reps, cell phone company representatives, computer reps and software reps are common examples that come to mind. It's an extremely efficient, money-saving and respected marketing model among the people who know. The reps are paid the money that would otherwise go to expensive advertising campaigns in other business models. It's just another way to structure a business and carries no dishonor with it at all.

I will certainly admit that, as is true in any business, there may be a few loose cannons within a workforce of over a million people, who might say something wrong or behave inappropriately, especially with the unregulated platform provided by the internet. I do know that such individuals are firmly disciplined in Mannatech when it is discovered. But the vast majority of people in this company are honorable and caring about the people they sell to. The company itself is very diligent to conduct itself above board at all times and as I said before, has a fine reputation among its peers, the business world and the science world.

I am always amazed to hear people claim that this technology is 'useless.' Over 350,000 medical papers have been written on the subject of glycomics. MIT's magazine in 2004, listed glycomics as one of the 10 technologies that are expected to change the world and invited Mannatech as the only food supplement company to its symposium. I guess they didn't know Mannatech was a scam. Nobel prizes were indeed awarded in this science, but not to our company. Mannatech has certainly never claimed that. It is true that Mannatech is the only company to have all the biological sugars (glyconutrition) stabilized in supplement form. That is simply because they own all the patents in many countries, including the United States, to that effect. Not a bad position to be in, I might add. The largest pharmaceutical companies are scrambling to invent a competitive synthetic version of glyconutrition. They realized the impact of this technology long ago and have put nearly a billion dollars into its research efforts in this direction.

The reason this is relevant to this site is that celiacs and gluten intolerant people struggle to maintain a sufficiently nourished body. Through malabsorption and hyperactive bowels, we lose the benefit of much of the nutrition we try to eat. If you add our poor dietary choices and the green harvesting and chemicalizing of our food supply, the problem becomes rather large for us, even more than the average public. I personally believe that nutritional supplementation needs to be a major consideration for people in our position. But along with that, we definitely need to seek out honorable companies so we don't 'waste our money' as has been wisely stated.

I greatly respect the opinions expressed here and the people who express them. But opinions mean much more to me when they are backed up with personal experience and solid science. That is why we all gravitate to this board. We want to hear from people who actually have celiac or gluten intolerance because we gain confidence in the fact that they KNOW all about our struggles.

My family, many friends and my extended family all have personal, life-altering experiences with the technology of glyconutrition. I personally know many medical doctors and other professionals who have investigated this technology thoroughly, fully expecting to refute it, by the way. They came away surprised and convinced.

I apologize for the length of my defense in this matter. I am a person only interested in truth. But as my name also implies, I wish to pursue it in a kind, caring and gentle manner. Thank you for listening.

#10 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

I am so glad to see the activity on this thread now :)

Gentleheart, thank you for continuing to be informative!

I, personally, am very interested in all that I am reading and learning about glyconutrients.

I also value everyone else's experiences and that's why I asked.
Mom of:

#11 Karwei5

Karwei5

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

My problem with this company is that they very aggressively market to parents who have children with Down Syndrome and it very much does not cure or repair or anything else for Down Syndrome.
There may be evidence it helps with other things but I don't agree with their marketing on parents that may be struggling with a Down syndrome diagnosis.
If there were any other company that sold an equivalent product I would look at them.
That is just my personal opinion.

Karol

#12 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

My problem with this company is that they very aggressively market to parents who have children with Down Syndrome and it very much does not cure or repair or anything else for Down Syndrome.
There may be evidence it helps with other things but I don't agree with their marketing on parents that may be struggling with a Down syndrome diagnosis.
If there were any other company that sold an equivalent product I would look at them.
That is just my personal opinion.
Karol

I sincerely apologize if anyone has made inflated claims to you concerning Downs Syndrome. The company FIRMLY makes no claims for any specific disease situation. These are nutritional supplements and soley meant to reinforce the body's natural repair responses. However, because at least 37 parents of Downs children have officially reported vast improvements in the general health of their children after consuming glyconutrition, this is probably what is being reported. Downs is a DNA problem. We are talking better nutrition and stronger bodies here. Downs children in particular, frequently also suffer with asthma, heart issues and other diseases which considerably take away from their ability to enjoy life. If better nutrition can address some of that, then it is a very good thing. Again, these are misunderstandings that need to be addressed. Please do not judge this fine company based upon what other people think they heard. The truth of the matter is that our mission is nutritional support of the body. No more no less. What happens after that is up to God and each person's personal genetics. A strong, well nourished body can withstand many things. Well nourished people with DNA issues like Downs or even celiac, can obtain a better quality of life within their genetic limitations, than those who remain malnourished or poorly nourished.

You are very wise to question things. Just always search for the facts and the real truth. It's getting harder and harder to find in this day and age.

#13 grey

grey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Gentleheart,

As one of many on this board struggling with malabsorption/malnourishment issues, I've been following this thread.
You wrote in your post that Nobel prizes "were inded awarded ..., but not to our company" (emphasis mine). Do you work for Mannatech?

If so, I think that it is something you should be straightforward about. It may give you the ability to speak knowledgebly about the product, but I think it is important you indicate that you are not disinterested in whether people on this board decide to purchase Mannatech products. If you don't work for Mannatech, how do you know so much about them? You have not indicated that clearly, and I think that would be interesting and helpful.

thanks,
grey

I promised not to debate this further, but it is difficult to let this go without one more reply. Please forgive my briefly going against my former intention.

I looked at the website provided. I am wondering about the medical or research credentials of the person expressing such inflammatory opinions and is he/she someone we can be confident has honest wisdom and personal experience in this new technology? They have a perfect right to express their opinions on their own site, but with all due respect, it does appear that they have a bit of an agenda regarding several subjects.

Direct marketing doesn't honestly need defending. Many great corporations who we do business with everyday are structured the same way. We just don't realize it. Any time you have a representative going out and networking with the public in the hopes of a commission sale of a product, you have direct marketing. Pharmaceutical reps, cell phone company representatives, computer reps and software reps are common examples that come to mind. It's an extremely efficient, money-saving and respected marketing model among the people who know. The reps are paid the money that would otherwise go to expensive advertising campaigns in other business models. It's just another way to structure a business and carries no dishonor with it at all.

I will certainly admit that, as is true in any business, there may be a few loose cannons within a workforce of over a million people, who might say something wrong or behave inappropriately, especially with the unregulated platform provided by the internet. I do know that such individuals are firmly disciplined in Mannatech when it is discovered. But the vast majority of people in this company are honorable and caring about the people they sell to. The company itself is very diligent to conduct itself above board at all times and as I said before, has a fine reputation among its peers, the business world and the science world.

I am always amazed to hear people claim that this technology is 'useless.' Over 350,000 medical papers have been written on the subject of glycomics. MIT's magazine in 2004, listed glycomics as one of the 10 technologies that are expected to change the world and invited Mannatech as the only food supplement company to its symposium. I guess they didn't know Mannatech was a scam. Nobel prizes were indeed awarded in this science, but not to our company. Mannatech has certainly never claimed that. It is true that Mannatech is the only company to have all the biological sugars (glyconutrition) stabilized in supplement form. That is simply because they own all the patents in many countries, including the United States, to that effect. Not a bad position to be in, I might add. The largest pharmaceutical companies are scrambling to invent a competitive synthetic version of glyconutrition. They realized the impact of this technology long ago and have put nearly a billion dollars into its research efforts in this direction.

The reason this is relevant to this site is that celiacs and gluten intolerant people struggle to maintain a sufficiently nourished body. Through malabsorption and hyperactive bowels, we lose the benefit of much of the nutrition we try to eat. If you add our poor dietary choices and the green harvesting and chemicalizing of our food supply, the problem becomes rather large for us, even more than the average public. I personally believe that nutritional supplementation needs to be a major consideration for people in our position. But along with that, we definitely need to seek out honorable companies so we don't 'waste our money' as has been wisely stated.

I greatly respect the opinions expressed here and the people who express them. But opinions mean much more to me when they are backed up with personal experience and solid science. That is why we all gravitate to this board. We want to hear from people who actually have celiac or gluten intolerance because we gain confidence in the fact that they KNOW all about our struggles.

My family, many friends and my extended family all have personal, life-altering experiences with the technology of glyconutrition. I personally know many medical doctors and other professionals who have investigated this technology thoroughly, fully expecting to refute it, by the way. They came away surprised and convinced.

I apologize for the length of my defense in this matter. I am a person only interested in truth. But as my name also implies, I wish to pursue it in a kind, caring and gentle manner. Thank you for listening.

#14 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

The truth of the matter is that our mission is nutritional support of the body.

Yes, Grey, I thought the same thing after reading the above sentence....

I have heard outrageous claims by Mannetech, and this complete kook of a man that I know was promoting them also. Claiming they could cure Downs, Celiac, you name it...there was a cure. Sorry if I seem abrasive or strident - - just hearing the word Mannatech makes me bristle. If it worked, we'd ALL be taking it....and my wacky Celiac friend would be entirely cured and eating gluten again. He is, of course, not.

That is all separate from the multi-level marketing scheme inherent to the company....that [part I don't care so much about....it's the claims of the "science" of the company that really bother me.
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#15 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

Gentleheart,

As one of many on this board struggling with malabsorption/malnourishment issues, I've been following this thread.
You wrote in your post that Nobel prizes "were inded awarded ..., but not to our company" (emphasis mine). Do you work for Mannatech?

If so, I think that it is something you should be straightforward about. It may give you the ability to speak knowledgebly about the product, but I think it is important you indicate that you are not disinterested in whether people on this board decide to purchase Mannatech products. If you don't work for Mannatech, how do you know so much about them? You have not indicated that clearly, and I think that would be interesting and helpful.

thanks,
grey

I'm sorry. I wasn't meaning to be vague about my connection with Mannatech. I am an independent associate with Mannatech. I am not a corporate employee of Mannatech. I don't personally know anyone on this board and have no personal financial interest or gain in anyone here purchasing Mannatech products. I'm just trying to be helpful and correct misinformation about this valuable technology wherever possible. I have been an avid student of nutrition for several decades and have studied glyconutrition for 6 years. I am also currently in a doctorate program in naturopathy. I do not plan to practice, but to write and educate. I have only known of my celiac status for about a year, so this is an entirely new topic for me to study. Glyconutrition has been enormously helpful to me in my own ongoing struggle back to health. So it is only natural that I would want to encourage the sharing of accurate information about it with all of you. Please rest assured that I am only interested in the friendly exchange of ideas here and not money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: