9 replies to this topic

#1 monicacpht3641

monicacpht3641

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:26 PM

I've been gluten-free for almost a year now, and I'm extraordinarily careful about what I eat. I am also lactose intolerent and can't eat any corn products. There is a gluten-free restaurant and bakery that I went to today, and I bought some gluten-free snickerdoodles. Mmmmmmm. I asked about the corn content (there was none), however there was arrowroot in them. I've never had anything with arrowroot, but since it was in so many other gluten-free products, I didn't forsee a problem. I had a reaction from the cookies the way I would if they had flour in them. Anyone else have a problem with arrowroot too?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:29 AM

I've been gluten-free for almost a year now, and I'm extraordinarily careful about what I eat. I am also lactose intolerent and can't eat any corn products. There is a gluten-free restaurant and bakery that I went to today, and I bought some gluten-free snickerdoodles. Mmmmmmm. I asked about the corn content (there was none), however there was arrowroot in them. I've never had anything with arrowroot, but since it was in so many other gluten-free products, I didn't forsee a problem. I had a reaction from the cookies the way I would if they had flour in them. Anyone else have a problem with arrowroot too?

Are you sure they didn't have dairy in them? Just a thought...

#3 monicacpht3641

monicacpht3641

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:45 PM

They were also egg and dairy free. Good idea though!

#4 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

It took me awhile to figure it out, but I am intolerant to tapioca. I thought it was dairy for the longest time, but eventually ruled out dairy as a problem. You may have to do some trials with arrowroot to see if it is bothering you.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#5 Kamra

Kamra

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:55 AM

This is an interesting discussion! I have concidered myself being lactos intolerant for some years, but this fall I've had some pretty bad "stomach attacs", and here i Sweden we have a lot of non-lactos products. However, I started getting stomach aches, heart rushes, cold sweatings from these products and found out that some of them, like yoghurt, have tapioka. Could I have the same problem??

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:59 AM

I'm another who is intolerant to tapioca. It's in so many gluten-free things.....

Tapioca actually makes me sicker than gluten--as soon as I begin to chew, my mouth dries up (!) and it gives me incredible nausea.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 Kamra

Kamra

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

For me it takes half an hour, then I get cramps on the left side of the stomach, feel nauseous (but not in a flu-y way), friends say I turn completely white (when its a bad attac) and I have trouble to concentrate on what people are saying, I can even get tinitus.

Once I thought I was going to die, because we had picked mushrooms and made a soup, and I stayed up all night surfing the Internet for images of mushrooms, beacuse I thought I had eaten a poisinous one. HAHA!

This is so exciting, for the first time in 10 years things are actually making sense.
HEURECA! Or should I shout TAPIOCA! http://www.glutenfre...fault/laugh.gif

#8 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

I discovered my problems in the completely safe to eat cookies, that it was the vanilla that was used. I don't know what it is derived from but I cannot have any grain alcohols so I am guessing that is the problem.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#9 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

I guess there is a possibility of intolerance to about anything. I haven't heard of arrowroot difficulty, per se. I use it a lot as a thickening agent. In fact, I used it more often that wheat flour for that purpose, even before I found out about my gluten problem. It seems to work quite well for firming up sauces.

I have heard folks before talk about tapioca problems. So that seems to be more common.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

#10 nono_1

nono_1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:30 AM

STARCH OR FLOUR FROM TAPIOCA IS WRONGLY CALL ARROWROOT;
THE REAL ARROWROOT IS FROM "Maranta arundinacea.L" WHAT HAPPENS TO BE KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH DIGESTIBILITY,IT S THE FINEST STARCH EXISTING
BUT INFORTUNATELY CASSAVA FLOUR IS IN FACT THE MOST SOLD AS "ARROWROOT" STARCH WICH DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME NUTRITIONAL PROPERTIES
SO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU BUY SOME PRODUCT CONTAINING "ARROWROOT"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: