This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Detox?

iluvbread

iluvbread Newbie

Long story much shorter.... I have several celiac friends who are all convinced I am one too. My exclusively breastfed son has allergies, determined to be at least wheat, from the nasty oozing/crusties behind his ear and spinach green poop. Well, I finally bowed to the fact that I can't bear to hurt him and took myself off of wheat. Knowing full well that it was as much for me as him, but couldn't bear to think it was for me. I have had IBS and Lactose intolerance for a long time, but don't have the celiac bloating, that I am aware of.

Anyway, I came off 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I cut it as primary ingredient and didn't worry about cc. I was warned against that.

Anyway, I have had within the past week:

• migraines
  • light nausea
  • painful itchy rashes in no less than 8 places: knees, ankles, elbows...
    (yep, pretty sure DH - had it in my armpit when pregnant and didn't know what it was but it was there for 6 months and AWFUL.)
  • brain fog
  • painful scalp
  • followed my nearly every other hair on my body reacting to touch with pain
  • throbbing knee/leg pains
  • crushing 'sinus infection' like head pain when I move... but it's a delayed reaction
  • fever w/ chills and sweats in rotation

One time it got worse after I know I was glutened by cc.

I thought that in the beginning I had an ear infection so I started treating myself with immune system boosters, like echinacea, fermented garlic, probiotics.... oh, the counter intuitiveness of it all. My thought is that I have made myself SO much worse. I cut it all out about 3 days ago and I am slowly feeling better.... but, is this detox? Shoot for as much pain as I am in I might as well have been doing recreational drugs! Sheesh!

(BTW: the oozing/crusties healed in 2 weeks completely in my baby! poop is getting there...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Actually to me it sounds less like a detox effect than a glutening. For many once the body clears the gluten for a bit, for some even a short time, the reaction that we get from accidental injestion is striking and even more severe than before we went gluten free. One reason why I believe the elimination and 'until you react' challenge is the most valid way of diagnosis us. Many will suffer withdrawl from gluten, this is usually more of a depression and anxiety sort of thing and unless reglutened often passes relatively soon.

iluvbread Newbie

Oh, wow. I didn't ever cut out cc, and my DH made wonderful organic homemade bread for me the whole time I was pregnant. ( NOW a :( )

I guess I figured it was more of a detox since I was so new and was sure I was still getting some level even if it was just from my kitchen (counters, bins, cast iron, stoneware) as well as the traces in my foods.

Wow.

Does everyone react differently to being glutened? My friend throws up and has d at the same time. I had neither but a whole host of others. Is that normal? (She has been diagnosed Celiac)

Archived